Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on a photo trip to Portal, AZ, I had the electrical system in my 2019 Outback destroyed by rodents. Had it towed 150 miles to Tucson. After three days I was told that a part would have to be ordered from Japan,[electrical harness, whatever that is]which would take 2+ wks. Tucson Subaru could not find the part in Canada or US. Rented a car, drove back to Austin, TX[1000 miles]. Three wks later was told that the car had been repaired and was ready for pick-up. Rented a car, drove back to Tucson and returned to Austin. There's more. While my car was in Tucson, the personalized license plates were stolen. I have to say, however, that the folks at Tucson Subaru were wonderful. Very cordial and considerate. A foot note. Apparently, the electrical wiring on the Outback is coated with a soy based residue which rodents find appealing.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Yeah...... this has been a loooong-standing issue with rodents...there‘s at least one thread in here with all sorts of remedies and preventions...... Toyota started using soy-based wire insulation decades ago and the little huggers had a field day..... Last year i was doing an event with a local Subaru dealer... several people owning new Highlanders stopped to see the Ascent and we’re discussing rodent problems.... one told me mice had done $18k in damage to the wiring and the interior of his brand new Highlander...... typically, this sort of damage isn’t a warranty issue. Rather, it’s an insurance claim.....

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
360 Posts
Yeah...... this has been a loooong-standing issue with rodents...there‘s at least one thread in here with all sorts of remedies and preventions...... Toyota started using soy-based wire insulation decades ago and the little huggers had a field day..... Last year i was doing an event with a local Subaru dealer... several people owning new Highlanders stopped to see the Ascent and we’re discussing rodent problems.... one told me mice had done $18k in damage to the wiring and the interior of his brand new Highlander...... typically, this sort of damage isn’t a warranty issue. Rather, it’s an insurance claim.....
Ok, stupid question, for outdoor bias vehicles in particular (SUVs, Trucks, off roaders) can they not use something else besides soy, ie synthetic soy? We have synthetic oil...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
299 Posts
I replace a couple dryer sheets, under the hoods of my autos, every 3-6 months or so. I usually tie them around something under the hood. The smell is all it takes to keep them at bay. Had a rodent chewing issue on the DW's Civic. What a PITA!

Also, if you get nats or other flying insects making your (now sitting) car/truck a home, dryer sheets inside the auto work there also. Cheap and easy.........

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
29 Posts
I also had this issue in my 17 wrx, and similar wait time to get harness from the East coast.. The 18 Outback that replaced it hasnt had this problem yet. Leaving Tahoe probably helped LOL. Anyways glad all was made well. What did you licence plate say? Just curious.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Synthetic oils are still petroleum- based....and no manufacturner is going to change up their supply chain and offer a limited number of soy-based wiring for the off change rodents are waiting..... this is Fed-driven mandate to reduce volatile gasses in the manufacturing process as well..... also, the softness in contemporary auto paints is a result of the Feds mandating reduced lead...... and we all know the issues with new windshields. Breaking and chipping easier....... That‘s the result of thinner, more brittle glass....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also had this issue in my 17 wrx, and similar wait time to get harness from the East coast.. The 18 Outback that replaced it hasnt had this problem yet. Leaving Tahoe probably helped LOL. Anyways glad all was made well. What did you licence plate say? Just curious.
WAPITI

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
360 Posts
Synthetic oils are still petroleum- based....and no manufacturner is going to change up their supply chain and offer a limited number of soy-based wiring for the off change rodents are waiting..... this is Fed-driven mandate to reduce volatile gasses in the manufacturing process as well..... also, the softness in contemporary auto paints is a result of the Feds mandating reduced lead...... and we all know the issues with new windshields. Breaking and chipping easier....... That‘s the result of thinner, more brittle glass....
So basically we are going backwards in auto durability...time to get that vintage Land Rover Defender...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts