Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had avoided problems by not giving Sirius my credit card when I bought a one-year subscription. They stated that this would not auto-renew. I wish I had tape-recorded the conversation. Guess what? We received a bill for another year at almost twice the rate. Called immediately and told them we did not want to renew. They said fine. We now receive a bill for a week of service of about $7. Now I know it is only $7 but it is the principle of the thing. This company is scum and has borderline fraudulent practices. I refuse to give people money just because they can affect your credit rating. I have filed a complaint with the BBB. The problem is that depending on how much trouble they create, most of us cave and just pay them to have it over with. I will never do business with them again no matter how much I like the service. Unfortunately I think they will continue to get away with it because they are just too big a corporation and this is their business model. Just to protect myself, I will state that I have no legal proof that they are committing crime and fraud, this is just my opinion. ***ing scum.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mr.G, are you not getting some 40+ free channels already from XM?
I've been getting them free since day one. I thought if I wanted the 100+ channels then I'd have to pay. So I didn't bother and quite happy with the 40+ channels I've been getting.

Are other getting the same?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Had the same issue recently. They had called at the end of my 4 month term, and spoke to my wife. (Not me, who is the owner of the car and the one who the free subscription is under)

Anyway, she explained that I wasn't home and they should call back...she also indicated that would most likely not renew as the service would cut in and out all the time based on our geography/tree, etc... (Could not listen to a full song once without it cutting out) Anyway, they said they would renew it optionally, and if we did not want it just to not pay the bill when it was received?

So, a few weeks went by, and we got the bill. I immediately called them and cancelled the service...they asked why, and I told them that their product was poor in my area....trying to offer me everything under the sun, new antenna, new plug in unit, etc... (I have the harmon kardon, so why on earth would I want to have a plug in unit as well as the nice stereo...poltely declined, no thanks) So, then, they indicated that my unpaid balance is like $6-$7 dollars and I would be billed for that amount. I indicated to them that they had no right to renew my service as they did not speak with the person on the contract, and told them they can send me a bill for $6 all they want but I am not paying it. So far, I haven'y got a bit and that was about 45 days ago.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
...they are offering free channels until Sept 11th....

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you have a smart phone, then you are already paying for a data plan. The free services (Slacker, Pandora, TuneIn Radio, etc.) sound quality is so much better than Sirius. The only reason to keep Sirius is if there are channels that you must have.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Hmm.....Mine's been free for the past 2 years....I assumed they offered free channels and if you wanted more channels you need to pay for it. Or am I assuming wrong?
...they are trying to pull back subscribers that they have lost in the past...

Where I live the choice of radio stations sucks so I went with the sat radio.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I just got off the phone with XM. I called to cancel and told them I sold the car and no longer own it. They offered me a home unit (at a discount;)), told them no. they closed the account with a refund balance. Supposed to be posted in 3-5 days. Painless so far but we shall see. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Where I live and drive cell phone service for voice let alone data is spotty so land based stations and Ipod are my choices. Sirius I am looking forward to but plan to be cautious given the sales tactics employed...

·
Registered
466 Posts
My mom just got a 1 yr subscription for her 2012 Elantra. She got 2 bills in the mail today-one for $100 and one for $102.98. She is pissed.

I had XM a few years ago when I owned my 2008 Santa Fe and 2011 Sonata. Their business could be run better by 5 year olds.

·
Registered
232 Posts
By the way, Sirius and XM are the same company.

I am dealing with them since a few years, and it is a hassle all the time. They try to bill with ridiculous high prices fist, and once I receive the bill, I call and want to talk to a manager. I explain him that I don't need them, but that they do need me. After a few minutes of arguing, I always end up paying less than half of the invoice for my next service period.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had a similar issue with XM radio a couple of years ago with my wife's Honda Pilot. After the initial 3 months free trial, I paid in advance for a year at a discounted rate. At the end of the year I did not renew, but they did not shut off the service. I tried calling several times and was always put on eternal hold so I gave up and continued to throw the bills in the mail.

A month or so later they started calling me asking for money. I kept on telling them that I had not renewed so not my issue. The bill was like $20 but I refused to pay. They threatened me with collection. I told them if they want to send me to collections for $20 to go right ahead and do so. I knew my credit rating was good enough to withstand a minor hit. I got one call from a collection agncy and I calmly told them that I never renewed my contract, I owed them nothing, I would never pay the bill even if they called me every single day and that I did not care if they reported it to the credit agencies. Never heard another word about it. When the free trial ended on my Outback, I did not succomb to their sales practices and throw their notices in the trash. It is funny that even though we traded that Honda last year, I still get renwewal notices from them

They suck, and I won't pay for sucky service. I have better music on my iPod anyway.

Rick G

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
11 Participants
rickg
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing