Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,

We took the plunge and purchased a, '05 2.5I Wagon this weekend. Now I need to replace the horrible RE92's with something great. I've been doing some research and have narrowed it down to these two tires.

The BFG Traction T/A:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Traction+T/A+H&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=26HR6TTA&fromCompare1=yes

or the Yokohama Avid V4S:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Traction+T/A+H&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=26HR6TTA&fromCompare1=yes

Both are highly rated by owners, with near identical Dry/Wet/Hydro Resistance/Snow traction ratings. The BFG is easier for me to get locally, but I am hoping to find someone who has experience with either before I pull them. I need to do this ASAP though so that I can trade the factory tires in for some credit, If I rack up too many miles I loose this option. Anyone?

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Wifey had some BF's Control T/A on her car before the Baja and they were good tires. I just got some Falken Ziex 512's for my OBS. They are rated excellent for an all season. Brian

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I traded in the stock RE-92's last night, and put Traction T/As on it. So, we'll see how they work out...

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
BFG TRACTION TA'S

I put a set of BFG's on my '03 OBW and wow! great on snow/mud gravel/wet/road. I have about 8,000 miles on them and not one complaint!

It's nice to be able to corner without the squealing !!!

They really stick like glue!

I broke trail in 8" of powder snow, offroad for 25miles ealier this year and never had to chain up! even at 27*f on the return trip my tracks glazed/frozen on steep hills I was able to get traction! I did do some ice abit offoad and did ok at slow speeds.:D

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: BFG TRACTION TA'S

Hey Scooby,

Thanks for the encouraging news! We’ve put about 900 miles on the Traction T/A’s so far, and been happy with the wet/dry traction as of yet. We have yet to have a snow event, though we did have a rain turned to snow event last week, with temperatures that dropped about 20 degrees in an hour! Can you say ICE? Nice thin layer topped with a dusting of snow. The traction for going was great, but the stopping left a bit to be desired, but hey, it was ice, not snow to be fair (I’m considering picking up a set of stock take offs, and some Nokian Tires for the winter, but I’ll have to see what shows up and what my budget is like when they do). We saw A LOT of cars spun out, backwards, sideways, on the grass, on the median, and very few people making it up the hills in our neighborhood. You know it must really piss people off when they are spinning their front wheels like mad and going no where, and we wait for them to give up, and than drive on around…

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
I'm pleased to hear these responses. I'm interested in doing the same, and the BFG Traction T/A s were (are) my first choice. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
352 Posts
After a lot of researching I've decided to get a set of the BFG Traction T/As. They sound like an excellent match for the Outback - good all weather with light off-road ability and good in the snow (needed here in Maine). I wanted some Nokians but just can't justify the additional price... the BFGs seem like a steal at $83 per tire at tirerack. Plus they have a 60,000 mile treadlife warranty. Going to have them installed next week so I'll add my two cents about their performance as I use them.

'05 Outback 2.5i and scooby:

Are you guys still liking the BFGs? Just curious before I take the plunge.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Your link for the Yokohama Avid V4S was bad, it went to the traction TA page.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Avid+V4S

Based on the reviews submited by customers on tire-rack's site, the Traction T/A seems to have the edge in every "performance" catagory, except for ride comfort and noise. From just looking at the tread pattern, it appears that the T/A would have better snow/off road ability, but that large center block in the V4S would make it quieter. It's all a matter of what's more important to you.

My question is, what sizes are folks installing? Is everyone going with the stock 225 55 R17? Or are you guys going with wider 235's, 245's or 255's and going down to a smaller sidewall aspect ratio (50 or 45)?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm sticking with stock (which on my car is 225 60r16). Also, the BFGs are available in an H or V rating. I'm going with the H as I don't really need the higher speed rating (based on my cars gearing, I definately don't need V rated tires).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
FastSly
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing