Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone! I have been trying to find a good 2 bike platform rack for my 2017 Outback with a 1.25" OEM hitch. I was going to purchase the Thule DoubleTrack Pro 2 but their website said you have to have a hitch with a 1.5" pin hole depth. the OEM hitch has a 1" hole depth.
Is there a 2 bike platform rack that would work with the OEM hitch? I want to be able to lock the rack to my hitch.

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
157 Posts
1" depth seems awfully short.... You may want to double check your measurements... :unsure:

Even if it is a 1" pin placement, you'd have plenty of shank inserted into the hitch itself to stabilize the rack.

I have a Swagman XTC-4 that has been great... (Heavy, but great) their 2 bike version is XTC-2

Check out etrailers clip on adjusting your Thule. Does the pin placement look similar to yours?

·
Registered
2002 Outback VDC
165 Posts
Oh yeah the OEM hitch has the hole way too close to the end. From my days at the rack shop a lot of people took their Subarus back to the dealer and had the OEM hitch taken off and then installed an aftermarket one. I think the only rack that is certified for it is the "Subaru Thule Helium" which is like a Thule Helium but they modified the insertion part where a bolt goes through instead of the nice quick-release you get with the regular Thule one.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Premium - 6spd manual
154 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'd also really suggest going with a 2" hitch swap. Factors like the tongue-weight alone are pretty big, when you get 2+ bikes, sitting out a bit, it really adds up, going over bumps/dips and such.
If you do the math, with say a 30lb hitch, and two 30lb bikes, and a 2' extension (to the furthest-back bike), it's pretty easy to get WAY up there, in terms of dynamic forces. If you go to > 2 bikes, you'll almost certainly be way over.
Most 1-1/4" hitches are rated to 300-350, and a comparable class III 2" are in the 600-650 range, for an Outback.
The depth is significantly more, too, completely eliminating the problem with the depth-reach, for locking and otherwise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts