Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2018 White Outback Touring 2.5i
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Subaru StarLink seems to work, maybe too well. I ran low on windshield washer fluid and I got the beep, the yellow exclamation point and the info displayed that the fluid was low. Before I could refill it Starlink sent me an email about it. I'm putting on my tin foil hat and rear view mirror glasses to look over my shoulder. Anyway just having fun with this but it's amazing how much is monitored. Hopefully it will help someone with a more serious problem.
Big Brother is Watching.PNG

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
346 Posts
Soon it may start telling us we have been exceeding the speed limit shown on the dash. Not all bad, I suppose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Limited 2.5
240 Posts
I'm surprised they didn't try to direct you to the dealer for a re-fill.... oh hold on a second - they kinda did!

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,667 Posts
I'm putting on my tin foil hat and rear view mirror glasses to look over my shoulder.
You know, you really ought not to be stopping as often as you do at that fast food place down the street; it's very bad for your health .....

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i WGM
66 Posts
I highly recommend relocating the DCM (Data Communications Module, aka Starlink aka Skynet) to a location such as this one:

I get maximum benefit when it is fully disconnected from my car, the 4G data network, and any source of power! Yes, I don't get emergency service. Whatever. I'm asserting my right to repair/modify. No tinfoil hat required.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Soon it may start telling us we have been exceeding the speed limit shown on the dash. Not all bad, I suppose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Soon, it will be making sure you can't exceed the speed limit.

Reactions: inspectorrgadget

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Soon, it will be making sure you can't exceed the speed limit.
If I want to go do donuts around a snow covered empty parking lot, I don't want any machine telling me what to do. I think you know what I mean.

Reactions: Darkw

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I highly recommend relocating the DCM (Data Communications Module, aka Starlink aka Skynet) to a location such as this one:
View attachment 475194

I get maximum benefit when it is fully disconnected from my car, the 4G data network, and any source of power! Yes, I don't get emergency service. Whatever. I'm asserting my right to repair/modify. No tinfoil hat required.
If the intrusions get more ridiculous you're right this may have to go.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Running out of windshield washer fluid when driving a salty winter road can be a very serious problem. Ask me how I know.
Have you tried using "summer" formula wiper fluid in the winter? Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm surprised they didn't try to direct you to the dealer for a re-fill.... oh hold on a second - they kinda did!
They did I just erased the dealer info.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I want it to tell me useful things, but in Eddie Murphy's voice... "yo man, someone stole yo bat-rey"
Picking whatever voice you want to hear might make it more fun or tolerable.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hopefully by then we'll be out of the equation.
Yup we'll leave it for the next generation. Now I don't want to jinx myself but I've driven about a million miles accident free before all these gadgets were deemed a necessary replacement for common sense. I just hope the do-gooders don't take away all the fun. Well like I told my kids: a green light only means "go" if the other guy stops. Everybody be safe out there.

Reactions: JacquesPere

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
417 Posts
I get an alert and email when I air-down my tires to off-road or over-sand... kinda Skynet creepy if you ask me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Well like I told my kids: a green light only means "go" if the other guy stops. Everybody be safe out there.
+1, just go drive around Atlanta for a week. You quickly learn a green light means to wait for the 3-4 cars that will run the red light.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring
360 Posts
+1, just go drive around Atlanta for a week. You quickly learn a green light means to wait for the 3-4 cars that will run the red light.
Man you got that right. I once got T-boned when I was the second car going through on green. And I have at least two other good personal Atlanta wait-when-the-light-turns-green stories, maybe three. Guardian angels saved me in the two that immediately come to mind.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts