Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I'm just beginning my search for a new wagon, and the Outback is at or near the top of my list. Once of my primary reasons for buying a wagon is to transport our dog, as he tends to go pretty much everywhere we go. I like the fact that the rear seats in the Outback fold down nearly perfectly flat, unlike Audi and some of the other wagons I've seen. However, I'm curious to know if the rear cargo area is TALL enough to accommodate a big dog, in this case our Golden Retriever. Have any of you Outback owners with big dogs found this to be a problem? My dog likes to stand up a lot while he's in the car.

Thanks!

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
My golden 'Toby' fits just fine in the Baja. In the cab, or even in the bed! He's tall and around 75lbs. It's a great car for dogs. Brian

·
Registered
174 Posts
I sold a Outback 2.5i to a woman with two goldens. They fit fine. I had a golden up until August of 2003. She was almost 17 when we put her down. She loved riding in the car.

·
Registered
169 Posts
you'll probably have more trouble keeping the slobber & nose prints off the windows :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hey, blee... where are you? I can get you a great deal on a dog guard.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
I was amused to read on a great dane owners board, you know you're a dane owner when your car has dog hairs on the headliner...

:p

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
1,142 Posts
Our 2 German Shepherds fit just fine (once they work out who gets to lie where).
GRANT

Attachments

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
1,142 Posts
Our 2 German Shepherds fit just fine (once they work out who gets to lie where).
This is the old girl - who is the smaller of the 2 dogs.
GRANT

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
ottiehund said:
GRANT
Whoa! One of your dogs bears a striking resemblance to a young boy! I've heard people say "owners look like their dogs" but that's uncanny!
:headslap:

Cute kid and cute dogs, and nice OB!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Grant

I've got a large dog (husky cross) and a MY03 Outback. Been looking to get a cargo barrier to stop it jumping through to the front seat (I'm afraid it's going to learn to drive one day, and I'll come out and find the car missing :D )

I see you've got a netting barrier - is that one of the Milford ones?

Paul.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
It frightens me to see someone driving with their small dog in their lap - I call it the Canine Airbag - imagine not being able to control your vehicle in an emergency because little Mitzi was between you and the controls....

·
Registered
194 Posts
The_Lizard said:
It frightens me to see someone driving with their small dog in their lap - I call it the Canine Airbag - imagine not being able to control your vehicle in an emergency because little Mitzi was between you and the controls....
What scares me more is Mitzi/Fifi/Fluffy climbing all over the car. I once saw one on the front dash!

That being said, our two dogs fit fine. We have a Siberian Husky and a Border collie mix. And good luck keeping your windows clean.

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
1,142 Posts
Hi Paul.

The cargo barrier was made for me by a local auto upholsterer - cost about $150 from memory. This guy has made barriers for my last 3 cars (OB, Forester, Grand Cherokee). It is a good way to go if you have a good tradesman in your area.

GRANT

·
Submod , ,
3,022 Posts
Our White Shepherd, Nikita, rides in the rear of our sub as well and it seems fine for her.
One concern I have though is that the space sometimes seems to big for Nikita to feel secure she often jams her body against the seats. I think what would help is some sort of harness secured to the rear area (i.e. dogie seat-belt). This would also keep her from flying into the front in case we were in an accident heaven forbid.
I also highly recommend a dog guard (divider) between the back and rear seats to keep the dog from trying to climb into the backseat. Nikita is a good dog but she sometimes forgets and the kids were never thrilled when this happened and it also distracted me as I was driving. Though this probably wont keep her from flying into the front in the event of an accident.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If your pooch is prone to pawing or scratching at the window when he/she sees you coming back to your subie, I would concider doing something to protect the defog strips on the rear window. I have a friend whose doggie scratched just afew lines, and it ruined the entire device.:(

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a belgium sheepdog (Groenendahl) and she fits great. I don't have the problem of her scratching or ever climbing over the seat. However, I never really thought about her flying forward if in an accident! Would a dog barrier help prevent this from happening? Protecting her?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
About this Discussion
72 Replies
41 Participants
MtnBikerChk
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing