Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this rust hole in my 2001 Subaru outback and if I didn't care how it looked (cuz you can only see it if you open the door, what would be the best way to fill or fix it? my initial thought was to sand it off, and do the rust hole patch kit wire mesh stuff but forget all the Bondo sealants and fillers and hit it with some undercoat rubber sealer instead? I will also be taking care of the classic back quarter pannel rust spots so do will have the Bondo filler stuff on hand if yall think it would be better to do that. What are yall's thoughts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if cheap will work for a few years ill go with cheap but it looks like if water got in there it's just sitting on a frame piece and if doing it right means no frame holes I'm all for doing it right

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Guaranteed there is way more rust around that hole than you can see. If it were me I would remove the black moldings, grind the area until I found solid metal. Cut out the rot. Cut and weld in a patch panel. Grind it down. Toss some primer on it followed by some rattle can paint.

Any cheapo fix you try might last a couple of months before the hidden rust takes over and causes it to fall out.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,304 Posts
buy replacement patch panel, and weld it in

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Does a replacement patch panel exist?

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2nd Subaru owned
244 Posts
Have the section cut out and put new metal in. If you can find a clean (like new looking) junkyard piece, cut a section out that is more than you need.That would be an option. Might as well do the job right, unless you just want it to make it last a couple more years. That is about how long a bad job would last.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts