Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this rust hole in my 2001 Subaru outback and if I didn't care how it looked (cuz you can only see it if you open the door, what would be the best way to fill or fix it? my initial thought was to sand it off, and do the rust hole patch kit wire mesh stuff but forget all the Bondo sealants and fillers and hit it with some undercoat rubber sealer instead? I will also be taking care of the classic back quarter pannel rust spots so do will have the Bondo filler stuff on hand if yall think it would be better to do that. What are yall's thoughts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if cheap will work for a few years ill go with cheap but it looks like if water got in there it's just sitting on a frame piece and if doing it right means no frame holes I'm all for doing it right

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
Guaranteed there is way more rust around that hole than you can see. If it were me I would remove the black moldings, grind the area until I found solid metal. Cut out the rot. Cut and weld in a patch panel. Grind it down. Toss some primer on it followed by some rattle can paint.

Any cheapo fix you try might last a couple of months before the hidden rust takes over and causes it to fall out.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
Does a replacement patch panel exist?

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2nd Subaru owned
278 Posts
Have the section cut out and put new metal in. If you can find a clean (like new looking) junkyard piece, cut a section out that is more than you need.That would be an option. Might as well do the job right, unless you just want it to make it last a couple more years. That is about how long a bad job would last.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,655 Posts
Big rust hole...how to fix? Buy a new subie. 😊

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Outback H6.30 35 anniversary edition
207 Posts
Well, this looks all too familiar... I did this : cut out all rust. Looked inside, found out that there is another hole, by the side of the rear seat pan. This is how it rotted apparently. From inside out. I liberally sprayed some Rust Oleum rust converter. Then I applied rust bullet everywhere inside I could reach. And then I plugged the inside hole with some expanding foam. Then I left the outside hole uncovered b/c I cannot find a decent dogleg from a junk yard. Plan on driving like this and keep looking for a dogleg.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2nd Subaru owned
278 Posts
You might contact a wrecking yard in a dry desert part of the country. Places like NV, AZ NM. Those Subarus generally will not have rust . The wrecking yards can cut out the pieces you need and ship them to you. Don't waste your time and energy in non desert areas. Car-part.com is a resource that can help you locate yards nationwide. You may have to provide pictures of the areas you need. Have the part cut out larger than you need.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Outback H6.30 35 anniversary edition
207 Posts
I called them and asked specifically if they can fabricate dogleg. They said no.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,192 Posts
Sometime this fall - not sure when yet - I will be taking molds off of my '03 rear wheelwell arches and possibly over that same area to be able to make (and sell) fiberglass panels to cover the usual areas that rust. I'll post a notice when I start on them - am buried with work for the next couple of months, and also have a project to finally do for the US Ski Team that has been put off too long.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The answer to the original question is answered on here a few times. Find your car at the junk yard, bring an angle grinder and cut out that section, cut out your rot, weld in the replacement section, grind, filler, prime, paint.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts