Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Ltd. 5 spd.
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2 week old XT 5MT is already back at the dealer! It wouldn't go into first gear, it is as if the synchros of the tranny are off. I'm very surprised by this, but they can't all be perfect I guess.

I also had them check out a annoying buzzing sound coming from underneath the steering wheel and the lack of the air conditioning (auto climate control unit) to maintain its temp - every time I put any slight amount of throttle input the air temperature raises to warm air.

Hopefully they will get these things corrected - Have any of you had similar experiences?

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Jeez no, I have a 98 but those are some scary-sounding quality issues.

·
Friendly Subaru Dealer, ,
47 Posts
Eeep! That's stuff that is supposed to be caught when it gets to the test driving at the factory. They must have been testing that one near shift change.

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
ya let the General get his thumb in the pie and next thing ya know, it's creeping Vega-ism....what's next, the Outback Brougham?

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
oh, that's right, it's the Outback Eurosport...i think they call it a
9-2....

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
cptoversteer said:
what's next, the Outback Brougham?
Outback Brougham Collonade Estate Squire

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
The_Lizard said:

Outback Brougham Collonade Estate Squire
Very Aussie sounding, not! I can just see some GM marketing exec drooling at the idea of that though. How about the "Outback Nullabor Oolaroo Vacationer" (Vacationer is a marketing name GM uses over and over here whenever they have a backlog of the Commodore they want to fleece on an unsuspecting public - it's a special edition with added extra's like ummm special stickers)

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
here in the US, they seem to like to add the term "Sport" in suitable lettering to side of decidedly non-sporting carriages like 9 passenger spport utes...oops, and Subaru station wagons....

ironically, the Sport sticker (calls to mind the old Monty Python routine....) is so ubiquitous and meaningless that folks have trouble understanding that an OBS is something other than an OB with sticker pkg! nation of posers, that's what we are.

altho i hear that lots of stickers makes your Civicorolla have LOTS more power....i think it catalyzes the oil blowby to turn your ring leakage into sort of an afterburner effect... :- )

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
No, the tail lamps do that. And the spoiler vectors the exhaust.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Ltd. 5 spd.
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good News - I Think

1. When the vehicle was taken off of the flatbed tow truck the mechanic was able to put it into 1sy gear - no problems. They went ahead and drove 40 miles witn no issues. Then they called Subbie and they had no information to offer other than something could have lodged into the linkage from underneath.

2. The dealer was not able to reproduce the air conditioning complaint.

3. The noise from underneath the steering wheel was actually a the fuel lines vibrating upon hard acceleration on the floor board.

All is good for now!

·
Registered
18 horizontally opposed cylinders of fury
355 Posts
Re: Good News - I Think

something could have lodged into the linkage from underneath
I had this happen once on a car with linkages (as opposed to my most recent stick shift car, which had cables). I was climbing a mountain & it was time to downshift from 5th... only I couldn't get it out of 5th. I bogged it up the hill, hit some bumps, dislodged whatever, & I could shift again.

fuel lines vibrating upon hard acceleration
I love it when a car is so powerful that these kind of issues arise ;)

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
Greeat, I'm glad it all got sorted out for you!

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Limited
79 Posts
There have been a few issues with the new OB/Legacy involving the A/C. Apparently, some cars made it out of the factory either overfilled or underfilled with coolant. Ask them to check it out.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fuel lines vibrating upon hard acceleration
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love it when a car is so powerful that these kind of issues arise

yeah, i don't recall this being a major problem with our '82 GL wagon....

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
*G* well, my LeSabre will stall on a right turn if there is less than 1/4 tank of gas, does that count?

It makes a sweeping freeway entrance ramp really interesting...

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
i'd think of freeway on-ramps in a Puick as a near-death expereince at the best of times....

that sorta reminds me of the Car&Driver test years ago where their Gale Banks-turbo'd Trans Am ran out of brakes by the time it got down from 150+ to abt 100 and they had to hit freeway median at 100ish to avoid running into other cars.....put the then-current Pontiac ad slogan of "now the excitement REALLY begins" into appropriate perspective.

and just think, now The General has his grubby paws into your Sub....

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback LLBean
78 Posts
cptoversteer said:
ya let the General get his thumb in the pie and next thing ya know, it's creeping Vega-ism....what's next, the Outback Brougham?
You mean it's like Volvo getting FORDirized.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts