Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i
220 Posts
That depends on several factors (wheels, specs, offset, etc), but for what it's worth I have Yokohama A/T G015's on my '09 Outback on Method MR502 VT Spec's. Wheels are 15x7 ET15, and the overall diameter is about 27.5" according to Yokohama's specs. Mine is currently lifted about an inch front and rear, but I originally installed the wheels/tires when the car was at stock height and drove it like that for months before adding the lift springs. In order to fit them at stock height I had to remove the front fender liners, flatten the pinch welds at the rear of the front fender wells, and trim a tiny bit of the inner edge corner off of the front bumper cover (not really visible). That said, i'd say that a 27.5" (overall diameter) tire is about as big as you're gonna get to fit without getting pretty aggressive with the massaging and trimming...

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i
220 Posts
Have you tried a search? I'm pretty sure this has been discussed in the past. Before I decided to go to a 15" wheel, I had looked into bigger tires for the 17's that came on my '09. there were definitely a few threads with bigger tire info. Pretty sure the guy from Gorilla Offroad (skemcin was his screen name I think) had fitted one of the biggest he could with the stock suspension...just don't recall what that size was...

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC 5eat , 2'' lift
1,349 Posts
But if that rub is just some plastic cover while turning wheel thats easily fixiable. Ppl had no problems put 225/70r16 with some lift but dont think lift changes much there in front more like wheel spacers maybe. So thats 28.5" size i would go with that if put new tires. Bu then smaller tires more torque to wheels.

·
Registered
09 OBXT LTD MT
446 Posts
ive asked a billion people this question but only for my own application.

Seems to be that stock you can do something like a 245/45r18 safely if you are wanting a larger rim + wider tire. You can poke out as much as you want with something like an aggressive et35 offset and not rub provided you dont hit some super large bumps or carry tons of weight.

As for me, modest lowering (tad higher than stock legacy GT wagon), staying near stock seems to be the best bet if you dont want to rub AND if you dont want to cut and roll fenders. Ill likely do 225/50r18 and a similar stock offset of 45 or 48. This is on BC Racing coilovers. 235 tire might be a possibility if a lower offset. Not much tolerance in these OBs if you are lowering.

YMMV of course.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts