Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my Thule 835s (kayak J-carriers) on my factory cross bars tonight (See my pictures in the "outback turbo" forum here) but found out my Thule 589XT carrier doesn't fit, it only fits round or squarish bars like Thuke or Yakima. Apparently Thule makes an 889 that fits round, square, and factory bars. Does anybody know if Thule makes a kit to convert the 589 to fit the factory bars. Seems silly to have to purchase a whole new carrier...

Actually, it seems silly that the price difference between the 589 and the 889 is like $20 and it seems silly that they have two different models in the first place... But I digress...

Jay

·
Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I know about thule's website, that's how I found out that the 889 exists. However, I couldn't find any info if I could buy a conversion kit to fit factory bars. The uppers should be identical, just the "feet" should be different to fit the wider profile factory bars.

I can ask Thule but you have to register to ask a question...

Jay

·
Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well... I've decided not to go with Thule, even if they had an adaptor kit, I really don't want to use another load bar on top of the factory load bars that the OB comes with. If that was the case, I'd just get the Thule Crossroads and 2 more LB50 bars.

I think I'm going to go with the Rocky Mounts Noose SL, which is the only fork mounted bike carrier that will directly mount to the factory cross bars using a wide steel plate.

Jay

·
Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update here, I got the RM Noose SL before my long trip to Maine. I put about 1000 miles on my XT in about 4 days driving to and from NJ to Maine over the 4th of July weekend. Lets say that my Kayak and my road bike survived fine on the factory crossbars with the RM Noose SL and a Thule 835 J-carrier on them.

However, I am not fond of the Noose SL head and the QR system, PITA, trying to get them to clear the lawyer tabs on my road bike (and no, I'm not willing to shave them off). The thule velovise head has much better clearence in the open position. I have to adjust the nut every time I put my bike in on the Noose just to get my dropouts to go in. I think I'm going to get some Thule crossbars and the Crossroads (or go with Yakima) and then ditch the Noose..... However, structurally, it appears fine.

Jay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts