Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched, found nothing, so if this is a repeat, forgive...

So I got an Outback ('13) and got a couple roof factory racks, the re-branded Yakima racks are really nice. I got the fork mount versions with extra wheel carrier forks for the racks: Yakima Wheel Fork Bike Accessories Bike Rack

I needed a 15TA adapter for the rack, no problem: Yakima 15mm Fork Adapter Bike Accessories Bike Rack

The questions are:
1) Using the 15TA adapter doesn't secure the bike in the rack - meaning that even with locks, the bike can be removed - not cool. Any ideas on this?

2) Using the Yahkima wheel fork to transport the QR wheels is great, but how do I transport the 15TA wheel on the rack?

Let me know what some solutions might be.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2003 Outback, 5 MT, 134K, HG changed.
184 Posts
I don't know what the rebranded racks Subaru uses, but it for the money of the rack + 15TA + wheel holder, you could have bought a basic upright carrier to start with, like a Yakima Raptor Thule Big Mouth . Maybe its not too late to return everything and get the upright. They're great for thru axle bikes.

But for your questions, since you've already gotten the equipment:

1) Go buy a braided steel cable combo lock, often found in bike isles at dept stores. Then run that through your frame and around the bike carrier or your roof rails.

2) If you're really bent on using the roof wheel transporter for a thru axle, they do sell kits that convert a TA into a QR and then uses the standard QR skewers.

Again, all the above is so much effort that you'll wish you'd gotten an upright carrier to start with.

What bike, by the way?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, dealer threw in the racks on the deal (no charge), so starting from scratch isn't what I want to do.

Bikes are:
Wife: Specialized Myka
Me: Giant Trance (26r)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Two free racks? That's a great gesture by the dealer. I too have a 26er Trance, and I actually have the same set up as you, with a fork mount rack and the need for a 15TA adapter. That's why I advocate for an upright carrier, if I had to do it all over again.

I think its less work if you just tossed the front wheels in the back of the car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great dealership experience for sure!

I think I am going to make something that will hold the wheels, or just get a couple wheel bags and toss them inside with the gear.

Thanks again for your input. Ride on.

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
351 Posts
The real answers are:

1. Mountain biking friends don't let mountain biking friends buy racks where you have to take the wheels off. You can help this by selling what the dealer gave you as "mint" or "as new" ASAP.

2. Get a hitch rack. Mountain bikers should be doing their air time on bikes, not lifting bikes in the air on cars. Note that real hitch racks for mountain bikes hold the bike by the wheels and not hang on a bar.

3. If you ride a lot and appreciate engineering friends only let friends by a 1 Up.

4. If you're not so serious or just can't afford it Saris offers absolutely superb life time warranty support on well designed racks. Saris Freedom is barely more than $200 and very light weight which is nice for cars.

Good luck.

P.S. I confess to occasional carriage on roof and for that use the type that holds by wheels.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Hey IM - getting close to pulling the trigger on a tray type hitch rack for Grandma she's crazy active tennis 4-5 days a week - rides her bike nearly every evening etc.

She spotted the Thule tray on a neighbors car and liked it but they are pricy! Whats your take on the Saris tray vs the Thule they are nearly identical in design outside of the small fittings etc.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The real answers are:

1. Mountain biking friends don't let mountain biking friends buy racks where you have to take the wheels off. You can help this by selling what the dealer gave you as "mint" or "as new" ASAP.

2. Get a hitch rack. Mountain bikers should be doing their air time on bikes, not lifting bikes in the air on cars. Note that real hitch racks for mountain bikes hold the bike by the wheels and not hang on a bar.

3. If you ride a lot and appreciate engineering friends only let friends by a 1 Up.

4. If you're not so serious or just can't afford it Saris offers absolutely superb life time warranty support on well designed racks. Saris Freedom is barely more than $200 and very light weight which is nice for cars.

Good luck.

P.S. I confess to occasional carriage on roof and for that use the type that holds by wheels.
I totally agree with this approach in the long run. It's much easier to live with a hitch rack day to day. Easier to load and better mileage than bikes on the roof. I know the difference well, because I have both setups (though nothing as fancy as the hardware stated above). Since the OP already has what he has, I figured I'd give some pointers. It's much cheaper in the near term than buying a hitch and a hitch rack and then dealing with craigslist to sell the roof racks.

And +1 to Saris racks. Art and functionality fused together. Always heard good things about them.

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
351 Posts
Hey IM - getting close to pulling the trigger on a tray type hitch rack for Grandma she's crazy active tennis 4-5 days a week - rides her bike nearly every evening etc.

She spotted the Thule tray on a neighbors car and liked it but they are pricy! Whats your take on the Saris tray vs the Thule they are nearly identical in design outside of the small fittings etc.
That depends upon the model. Saris has 3 different types and the Grand Fondo which combines their Thelma type trays with hatch mount.

The new Saris Freedom does not fold up 90 degrees like their others but it does not protrude as much and it's light so really ideal for a car vs large vehicle.

My friends who never take the racks off of their cars say Thelma plastic trays can break if you use them for a few years in freezing winter conditions. but otherwise like them for the value and design.

My bias for the Saris comes from such a good combo of service and design along with knowing personally the quality of the man who built the company and several of their employees. They are a good choice if you also like the concept of made in USA by people who get a living wage and benefits. My bike shop friends say Saris has best customer service and warranty performance.

What people need to know is there is a division among quality racks. Saris, Thule, others are great but if the original SportWorks (only available for city buses now) and 1 Up are in their own league if you use this stuff several times a week for 10+ years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts