Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
The real answers are:

1. Mountain biking friends don't let mountain biking friends buy racks where you have to take the wheels off. You can help this by selling what the dealer gave you as "mint" or "as new" ASAP.

2. Get a hitch rack. Mountain bikers should be doing their air time on bikes, not lifting bikes in the air on cars. Note that real hitch racks for mountain bikes hold the bike by the wheels and not hang on a bar.

3. If you ride a lot and appreciate engineering friends only let friends by a 1 Up.

4. If you're not so serious or just can't afford it Saris offers absolutely superb life time warranty support on well designed racks. Saris Freedom is barely more than $200 and very light weight which is nice for cars.

Good luck.

P.S. I confess to occasional carriage on roof and for that use the type that holds by wheels.

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
Hey IM - getting close to pulling the trigger on a tray type hitch rack for Grandma she's crazy active tennis 4-5 days a week - rides her bike nearly every evening etc.

She spotted the Thule tray on a neighbors car and liked it but they are pricy! Whats your take on the Saris tray vs the Thule they are nearly identical in design outside of the small fittings etc.
That depends upon the model. Saris has 3 different types and the Grand Fondo which combines their Thelma type trays with hatch mount.

The new Saris Freedom does not fold up 90 degrees like their others but it does not protrude as much and it's light so really ideal for a car vs large vehicle.

My friends who never take the racks off of their cars say Thelma plastic trays can break if you use them for a few years in freezing winter conditions. but otherwise like them for the value and design.

My bias for the Saris comes from such a good combo of service and design along with knowing personally the quality of the man who built the company and several of their employees. They are a good choice if you also like the concept of made in USA by people who get a living wage and benefits. My bike shop friends say Saris has best customer service and warranty performance.

What people need to know is there is a division among quality racks. Saris, Thule, others are great but if the original SportWorks (only available for city buses now) and 1 Up are in their own league if you use this stuff several times a week for 10+ years.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.