Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike rack thread (and Bike)

Let's see them. Roof or hitch, post up some pictures.

Here's mine. It's a Performance Bicycle 2 bike fork mount hitch rack.

Attachments

·
Registered
05' OB 2.5i
1,042 Posts

My other bike is your mom..

Rockymounts on Thule crossbars. I need to get a thule sidearm. Taking the front wheel off is a PITA.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, why not show off our bikes too. We don't have a thread for that either. Too taking off the front wheel is a pain, but I feel the bike is more secure this way. JMO

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Stumpy I just sold last month. More to come.

Attachments

·
Registered
05' OB 2.5i
1,042 Posts
Riding buddy has the thule sidearms on his jeep. He can throw his spec enduro up there in about 10 seconds.

Its been pretty wet and muddy here lately so putting that muddy front wheel in the back of my OB sucks.

The Thule sidearm is very secure. Ive followed him up some trails and watched his bike rigid up on his jeep while my 29 pound Enduro Elite flops around on my Outback.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sweet! Now, this thread is for me! LOL

Personally I took the factory rails off and fitted an Inno base system to the Subaru rack. This then enabled me to put my trusted Thule system up there (bars and bike trays); a beauty of a system for sure. Inno provide some stellar bases (in terms of both design and quality) for a great price and locks are INCLUDED!!

As for the bikes, I have a Bianchi L’una for a road bike, Surly Cross Check for CX and commuter duties and my latest mountain bike is a Salsa Elsanto. It’s an older pic after I had just finished putting it together but you get the idea. And yes, the front brake line has been trimmed ;-)

I also have a Dekerf Team ST that I have retired but will never get rid of. It’s currently in the basement hanging on the wall. That is the best bike I have ever owned/ridden. I will be buried with it.

I also added a link to a video I put together of a friend and me out one morning in October. I wouldn’t have provided the link except that it’s appropriate for the thread in a couple of ways. He too drive a Subaru but check out how he lugs the gear around (you’ll see it briefly at the end)

Here's the video link

Cheers,
Cool thread!
Steve A.

·
Registered
2010 OB PZEV, 2.5i. Main Skid and CVT plate. Wet dog smell.
124 Posts
Ska! said:
Sweet! Now, this thread is for me! LOL

Personally I took the factory rails off and fitted an Inno base system to the Subaru rack. This then enabled me to put my trusted Thule system up there (bars and bike trays); a beauty of a system for sure. Inno provide some stellar bases (in terms of both design and quality) for a great price and locks are INCLUDED!!

Cheers,
Cool thread!
Steve A.
Do those Inno bases wrap around the bar or just the top?

·
Registered
31 Posts
2dogs+2 said:

Do those Inno bases wrap around the bar or just the top?
Yeah.......they wrap around.

They have a nice wide base for support and added stiction on the top side and there is dense rubber strap that runs underneath and around the bar. The strap then connects to a seat on the opposite side of the base where there is a tension adjuster. It takes about 3 seconds to tighten it down (no tool required BTW) and the whole thing gets covered by the locking covers you can see in the pics. Very clean and tidy and I can literally rock the car in any direction by yanking on the rack with as much force as I want. It's very secure. I really believe the factory roof rails would fail before this system would.

Of all the systems I've used in the past, these are the best I've experienced. They’re just so easy. I can pull that entire rack off my car and put it back on fully set up in about 3 minutes. No exaggerating.

·
Registered
'00 Subaru BH 4AT, '06 Volvo P1 6MT, '14 Ford C1 5MT
329 Posts
Cheapy rack, old bike. :D Love it though.

Also a pic of my beater college bike that will get left out in the weather. Needs a little work, but I got it for free, so I'm not complaining. lol

·
Registered
15 2.5i Limited Ice Silver / 06 2.5i 5MT Atlantic Blue-Silver
167 Posts
Took the family on a trip the day I bought it! No sense in wasting any time!

This is my baby the day I rode my first double century last June.

·
Registered
97 Legacy Outback Ltd
8 Posts
Willjones said:
Why did you mount it backwards?

Because the trunk door doesn't clear the rack mounted frontwards. the trays are too long, and ive already moved my crossbars as forward as possible, still no clearance. I got some pretty dings right were a spoiler would be because of skis and the bike rack.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback
13 Posts
Ready for Summer~

Just mounted the rack last weekend and put the bike on the car today for my trip home for some riding on the Maah Daah Hey trail (http://www.mdhta.com/). A hidden Jem between The north and south units of Theodore Roosevelt National Park.

Setup:
03 OB 2.5
Thule 450 Crossroad w/50" Crossbars
Thule Echelon (fork mount) bike trays (x2)
Thule Wheel-On Wheel Fork
06 Specialized Rockhopper Comp

Attachments

1 - 20 of 115 Posts