Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Outback
241 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Thule Sidearm for the top and Thule T2 for the back

We have a collection of bikes that are a bit longer than normal, so I built a trailer to hold those too. Basically, it's 4 sidearms bolted to the trailer floor. Works most awesomely.

·
Registered
05' OB 2.5i
1,042 Posts
Subaru Outback with a Specialized Enduro on the roof...... Classic setup.

I need to get a couple thule sidearms for my squishy bike trips.
I'm a big fan of the Thule Sidearm for the top and Thule T2 for the back

We have a collection of bikes that are a bit longer than normal, so I built a trailer to hold those too. Basically, it's 4 sidearms bolted to the trailer floor. Works most awesomely.

·
Registered
15 2.5i Limited Ice Silver / 06 2.5i 5MT Atlantic Blue-Silver
167 Posts
Sweet setup! Are you using Thule load bats and feet? Which box is that?

·
Registered
2009 outback wagon 2.5
66 Posts
wind noize

not a hijack....

what's everyone using for a fairing?/ i see some racks w/o anything.
on my 01 i used the retangular/blocky yakima fairing. on my 09, nothing yet. the wind noise on the 09 is annoyingly loud at any speed over 30.

i'm looking at the new style yakima fairing or the yakima windjammer. anyone using a windjammer?? any opinions??

thx

·
Registered
05' OB 2.5i
1,042 Posts
I made my own windjammer clip on wings for my thule bars. I used a sheet of ABS plastic and melted it over a broomhandle. You also my try putting a bike tray in the middle of the rack. Anything on the bar will disrupt the air enough to prevent the noise.

·
Registered
07 OB Ltd
206 Posts
No fairing and yes it's really loud. It's actually off right now, because I like driving with the sunroof open and still being able to hear.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Here's my '97 with my new Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er on a Swagman XC rack. A roof rack would look cooler, but the hitch mount is so easy to take on and off and to get the bikes on!

·
Registered
2009 Outback XT
5 Posts
I used to be a fan of the hitch mounted racks until I was rear-ended--without my bike mounted thankfully--and it totaled my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Figured I wouldn't take that chance with my new '09 XT so I opted for the roof-mount.

I have an all Yakima system with twin Viper racks, wheel forks and fairing. I opted to change the placement of the bike racks to the outside of the bar mount so I wouldn't have to lean so much to load and unload the bike. Might not look quite as clean but it's practical. I'm also using a longer fairing which sits on top of the side railings instead of inside them. I've found this again to be more practical as the reach for sitting inside, flush with the sunroof would be too great and defeat the purpose for reducing wind noise.

No problems with the system yet but I have had to grease the parts some due to the weathering. System is about 2 yrs old.

·
Registered
2008 Legacy Outback
6 Posts
My 2008 with Yakima round bars and Copperhead bike rail. The little fairing makes a huge difference in wind noise.

The bike is a Giant Yukon.

·
Registered
2011 3.6R Ltd. Ruby Red/Sun Roof/Prot.Pkg #01/Trailer Hitch/BS Moldings/Pinstripe
84 Posts
Bike Rack

Got tired of taking my wheel off.

Can you tell me what bike rack you used for the top? I have two bikes I want to haul on top and not sure what to use. Also, do you know if Subaru has bike racks to go on top of their rack?

Thanks

·
Registered
07 OB Ltd
206 Posts
Mine is made by barrecrafters, but the Thule Big Mouth is the exact same thing. Holds two bikes firmly up top w/out removing anything. I love it minus the wind noise.

·
Registered
Mine: '05 Legacy 2.5GT sedan; Hers: '12 Outback 3.6R Limited
76 Posts
I know it isn't an OB, but it is still a Subie.

Picture of the Leggy parked in front of the inn (dirty window) that my wife and I were staying at this past week. Unfortunately, the bikes were taken off the racks no more than 10min. before the picture was taken.

How the Leggy normally sits without the racks:

·
Registered
167 Posts
If I ever owned another sedan, that would be the one I'd want!

·
Registered
Mine: '05 Legacy 2.5GT sedan; Hers: '12 Outback 3.6R Limited
76 Posts
^^^^^^^^

I'm going to take that as a compliment. Thanks!

I love the LGT, but it leaves a lot to be desired. If I could go back and do it all over again the car in the picture would have the following traits:

1) Manual transmission.
2) Satin White Pearl.
3) Wagon!!!
4) Limited.

Those are BIG issues that I have with the car. However, I do enjoy/love the vehicle. Trading/selling it for a wagon has crossed my mind, but it is hard for me to get rid of it after I put money into the best modification of all - PAID OFF!

On the other hand, my wife and I decided that the best way to remedy the fact that it isn't a wagon is to purchase a 2011 Outback 3.6r come next summer. Although lowered and sitting on Cusco coilovers, the LGT in the pictures has seen more dirt and mud than some of the lifted diesel trucks running around town.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Manual tanny :29:

Wagon :29::29::29:

My dream Subie would be an '09 OBXT manual tranny in Quartz silver, but I do love my (wife's) '08 2.5i auto as it is!

21 - 40 of 115 Posts