Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, I'm thinking about picking up a used Yakima King Cobra set to attach to factory crossbars with Mighty Mounts. Vehicle is 05 Outback XT. Is this a reasonable setup? At the moment, most of my bike hauling is going to be local, and I have fendered bikes, so I want the full bike carrying option.

·
Registered
2007 2.5i Basic
35 Posts
Bike Rack Setup

I got a great deal on craigslist for my two bike trays (Yakima Steelheads) and two wheel forks. They work really well for me. I have the Yakima lowriders attached to the rails and 48" cross bars. I ended up having to put my wheel forks on the rear bar since I have to angle them forward for highway driving. If I don't angle the wheel fork forward, the tire ends up sitting on my roof from the wind force...

I have a pic in my gallery.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I got a great deal on craigslist for my two bike trays (Yakima Steelheads) and two wheel forks. They work really well for me. I have the Yakima lowriders attached to the rails and 48" cross bars. I ended up having to put my wheel forks on the rear bar since I have to angle them forward for highway driving. If I don't angle the wheel fork forward, the tire ends up sitting on my roof from the wind force...

I have a pic in my gallery.
When I need the wheels out of the car - I bungie them too the bike frame with the wheel sitting on the pedal/crank keeps em out of the car and very secure you can even run a cable lock through them and the frame to keep em safe.

·
Registered
05' OB 2.5i
1,042 Posts
Is that Cambria Bike Outfitters in San Luis Obispo, CA?

I know it isn't an OB, but it is still a Subie.

Picture of the Leggy parked in front of the inn (dirty window) that my wife and I were staying at this past week. Unfortunately, the bikes were taken off the racks no more than 10min. before the picture was taken.

·
Registered
31 Posts

My car/rack is on page 1 or 2 but how about a ride video to break it up a little. Not hijacking the thread, just some entertainment for those of you at work like me. It might help.:29:

The video is from my recent trip to Cyprus. Wicked time - wicked trails. Wish I was there right now. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i
257 Posts
I'm still searching for a Gen 2 OBW, but for bike racks i'm currently running a Thule Traverse setup with a Thule Sidearm. IMHO, the sidearm ROCKS. It's stable, I don't need to remove my front wheel, and it only takes me about 7 seconds to put my bike up, lock it, and be ready to drive off. Perfect. Here's a pic of the setup on my current daily driver:

Bike is an oldschool '99 Ground Control FSR DH that I recently refinished and rebuilt with some new-school parts:

Once I find an Outback, it'll take over daily driving duties and the racks will get moved over to the Subie. Gonna buy another Sidearm and i'm looking into a hitch and using one of the NSR-4 racks from North Shore Racks as well. Anyone checked these out? They're pretty slick, IMHO...
North Shore Racks

Now, I just need to find the right Subie....

·
Registered
2017 OB Limited - Ice Silver
178 Posts
Is that Cambria Bike Outfitters in San Luis Obispo, CA?

It sure looks like CBO. I grew up in SLO and have been to that very shop many, many times.

·
Registered
02 LL Bean in red and ugly gold
68 Posts
Okay we don't even have a OutBack so far but we are looking for one really hard (H6 VDC)

Well here you can see my trusty old BMW GS that had serve me well for many years carrying all kind of bicycles, tools, stuff and other toys.

I promise the Subaru will never be as loaded as this Range Rover.

Hopefully I can show you some Fun OutBack pictures soon.

Ricky

·
Registered
2008 2.5i 5MT
22 Posts
I got my RockyMounts TieRod today and mounted her up with my Tricross. In order to get enough clearance to open the gate all the way, I had to move the front crossbar to mount in the little hole at the very front of the rails. I don't see why this should pose a problem, it mounts just the same with no interference. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2008 Legacy Outback
6 Posts
Took a friend and our bikes to the trail while the weather was still nice. Love my Yakima rack.

·
Registered
2009 outback wagon 2.5
66 Posts
.... I had to move the front crossbar to mount in the little hole at the very front of the rails. I don't see why this should pose a problem, it mounts just the same with no interference. Any thoughts?

i run my yakima rack the same way. no problems at all. :)

·
Premium Member
2016 3.6R in Lapis Blue, Ready Lift, roof basket / roof mount tire, 2" hitch, Perrin spacers, etc...
301 Posts
I use a Saris Thelma 3 hitch mount on my Subbie.

I went with a hitch mount for several reasons...
I don't have to remove the front wheels (carbon forks don't like to clamped/unclamped too often),
I don't have to lift the bikes onto the roof,
There is little added wind resistance on the drive,
Nothing touches the bike frame.

I LOVE it!!!

Thelma folded up:

Thelma with my 2011 Bianchi Infinito:

Custom rack I made for my Roadster using Thelma carriers, on my last outback:

·
Registered
2005 xt limited gone but not forgotten
342 Posts
I use a Saris Thelma 3 hitch mount on my Subbie.

I went with a hitch mount for several reasons...
I don't have to remove the front wheels (carbon forks don't like to clamped/unclamped too often),
I don't have to lift the bikes onto the roof,
There is little added wind resistance on the drive,
Nothing touches the bike frame.

I LOVE it!!!

Thelma folded up:

Thelma with my 2011 Bianchi Infinito:

Custom rack I made for my Roadster using Thelma carriers, on my last outback:
I've always heard Bianchi's make great rear bumpers, but I have my doubts the carbon fiber variety will hold up well enough to protect the car.
J/K :D:D
Sweet Bianchi :drool: but I don't think I could own one if it wasn't traditional Bianchi Celeste color.!!!

·
Premium Member
2016 3.6R in Lapis Blue, Ready Lift, roof basket / roof mount tire, 2" hitch, Perrin spacers, etc...
301 Posts
I've always heard Bianchi's make great rear bumpers, but I have my doubts the carbon fiber variety will hold up well enough to protect the car.
J/K :D:D
Sweet Bianchi :drool: but I don't think I could own one if it wasn't traditional Bianchi Celeste color.!!!

'Bianchi bumpers' are what car insurance is for . . . :gasp:

I'd have gotten Celeste, but I personally liked the red combo better. (I also opted for Ultegra over a Campy drive train). I suppose there is a philistine in us all.

The color really didn't matter - I actually wanted the extremely limited edition in orange, but that could not be had in the US at the time I committed to the purchase.

In the end, it was the bike I was looking to get miles out of, not it's Italian heritage. If that were the case, I'd have had it in Celeste, and on the back of an Alfa! :29:

Cheers'
Dan

·
Registered
2005 xt limited gone but not forgotten
342 Posts
'Bianchi bumpers' are what car insurance is for . . . :gasp:

I'd have gotten Celeste, but I personally liked the red combo better. (I also opted for Ultegra over a Campy drive train). I suppose there is a philistine in us all.

The color really didn't matter - I actually wanted the extremely limited edition in orange, but that could not be had in the US at the time I committed to the purchase.

In the end, it was the bike I was looking to get miles out of, not it's Italian heritage. If that were the case, I'd have had it in Celeste, and on the back of an Alfa! :29:

Cheers'
Dan
Nice choice Dan, I meant to say I was Celeste green in color! (envy is a bitter/sweet emotion.)

I am more of a zombie Campy follower. Serotta Ti, Kestrel 200SCI, and Raleigh 531C, all Campy equipped from downtube friction Super Record to ergo 10 carbon.

regards,
john

41 - 60 of 115 Posts