Subaru Outback Forums banner

61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5i Ltd 5MT
194 Posts
I am in the process of finding a rack solution for my car. With the factory rails, is the Thule 450 & 450R the only options? I need to be able to mix and match two bikes, two kayaks, and snowboard carrier.

I noticed in the pictures some people are using their factory crossbars with bike rack. How does this hold up compared to using an aftermarket crossbars?

·
Registered
2008 OBXT Ltd 5MT
492 Posts
I have two Yakima Forklift bike racks mounted to my Heavy Duty Cargo Basket (with 18" extension and extra crossbar.) Works great!

I had the Forklift's mounted directly to the factory crossbars, which worked fine, too. This one doesn't fit up there, though. :)

Steve

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW (gone now, but well loved), '15 Toyota Sienna, '13 Honda CR-V
1,688 Posts
How about "Bikes in a Subaru"?

I haven't posted here in, well, almost forever. Got the new e-mail newsletter this morning, and it peaked an interest. So here goes. Attached is a photo of my '02 OBW with it's permanent companion, my '07 Dahon Vitessa D7 folding bicycle. I live too far from work to bike commute, but enjoy biking enough to do a 5 mile ride most days at lunchtime. I do a loop around our industrial site, then a mile+ down the highway to a deli. Strap my lunch on to the back, and usually eat at my desk. When we were situated in a remote building on site, I often lashed my laptop to the carrier and went off to meetings that way. I was treated to indoor parking in two other bldgs by cycling-friendly management.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2016 3.6R in Lapis Blue, Ready Lift, roof basket / roof mount tire, 2" hitch, Perrin spacers, etc...
270 Posts
. . . . I need to be able to mix and match two bikes said:

. . . . another reason for the hitch mount bike rack - kayak #7 added to the fold here at home this past weekend!!!

Mind you, when carrying kayaks AND bikes, we break down and use a trailer set up to carry (up to) 4 'yaks, 2 bikes, and an assortment of camping gear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am in the process of finding a rack solution for my car. With the factory rails, is the Thule 450 & 450R the only options? I need to be able to mix and match two bikes, two kayaks, and snowboard carrier.

I noticed in the pictures some people are using their factory crossbars with bike rack. How does this hold up compared to using an aftermarket crossbars?
The Thule 450 and 450R are the best two options, imo, however they are not the only two options. Yakima offers a similar set up called the Railgrab. It sits on top of your rails and well.. grabs it. Lol the third company is called INNO. Their set up is very similar to Thule's feet in the way that it mounts. The aftermarket bars simply offer a wider variety of carrying options out there, as well as give you a bit stronger and a more stable rack, in my experience. Definitely more carrying options out there for the aftermarket guys, though.

If you interested, I know these guys carry all three of those:Yakima and Thule Racks - Yakima and Thule Racks, Trailer Hitches and Rentals, Car Roof Racks, Bike Racks Kayak Canoe and Ski Snowboard Racks, Cargo Carriers, Cargo Trailers

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5i Ltd 5MT
194 Posts
Thanks for that info dirtriderdawg.

I just found a pair of used Yakima Railgrab towers with locking cores and 48" bars. All for only $80! I don't think the bars are going to be long enough for two kayaks, but I can always sell them and purchase a longer pair.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW (gone now, but well loved), '15 Toyota Sienna, '13 Honda CR-V
1,688 Posts
And when I’m not using my folding bike….

This is a Subaru OEM bike rack manufactured by Yakima that I bought for $50 off of Craig’s List some time back. I believe the Subi PN was E3610AS802. This was virtually identical to the now discontinued “Lockjaw” model, and similar in concept to the current “Raptor”. The small air deflector was missing, but could easily be fabricated.

In answer to the question a few posts back, yes these can be attached to the original factory aero crossbars using one of several Subi accessory mounting clamp kits. The ones for my ’02 OBW are E361SXA100, and run around $25 for a set of 4. They are not as massive as the Yakima “Universal MightyMounts”, but they seem to be sturdy enough.

I found that you must bias the whole assembly way forward in order to avoid having the tray hit the open tailgate. That makes the whole thing a little less stable, and is probably why it comes with the round bar up front that ties the two trays together.

Do I like it? Not really…. I found that I just don’t have the strength and agility to heft the bikes up top and attach them. Too often I was afraid I’d bungle the job and loose control. I went back to one of the hitch rack options.

Attachments

·
Registered
'05 OBXT
453 Posts
For a bike or two the factory bars will be "okay" but wobbly. Forget using kayaks on the factory bars. I'm a very experienced rack user and have transported as many as 6 kayaks at a time. No way would I use a factory bar for more than one kayak and only for short distances.

Get a serious rack (Thule or Yakima), load up and go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Giant Trance , 3.6r, Thule Sidearm

Here are pics of my Giant Trances and 3.6r with Thule Sidearms.

Mounted on the factory crossbars and I have minimal wobble with 1 or 2 bikes on it. I haven't yet, but If I wanted to add a 3rd bike/rack, I would think it would be just fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Family Fun

I don't have any closer photos, but I run yakima footpads and 58" bars. I have the subie/yakima basket with yakima steelheads outside the baskets.

You can't tell very well in the photo, but I have a rod and reel rack mounted on conduit brackets over the passenger side of the car. I just use a bungie around the reels to hold them in place. I keep thinking I'll buy lockable ski racks for the reels, but haven't done it yet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Home made rack. 19 dollar fork clamp, 20 dollars worth of alum. C channel, hand bent thread stock, and alum. spray paint. Black on the outside, white inside. Weight: under 5 pounds. Good enough for a 23 CC tire or 2 inch tire width.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5Ltd w/EyeSight
241 Posts
Home made rack. 19 dollar fork clamp, 20 dollars worth of alum. C channel, hand bent thread stock, and alum. spray paint. Black on the outside, white inside. Weight: under 5 pounds. Good enough for a 23 CC tire or 2 inch tire width.

I would go a step further and add a back tire strap and maybe a Rocky Mount for a more sturdy clamp.

But still Very well done, pretty creative!:29:

·
Registered
'97 OBW 2.5 5spd
45 Posts
Here's a little bit different version of a bike rack. It's a 2006 Ducati 800 Super Sport. I thought I had to go into the motor so I left the faring at my appartment and towed it to my parents house. It ended up that it was something simple, so I fixed it and went for a ride with my father. I do still need to work on a roof rack for the...less powerful model.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mostly stock 2012 6MT.
665 Posts

Finally got to load the bikes on the roof and go for a drive. Next upgrade: Yakima Crossbars. Factory ones are terrible. I have a little dent in the roof already, and I think it's from the cross bars flexing so much that the bike rack hit the car...

·
Registered
26 Posts
My rack, currently for sale in the classifieds due to a friend of mine giving me a roof rack. Holds two bikes really well. $225 obo

·
Registered
05 Outback 3.0R
8 Posts
Yakima Hook-up with an add-on. I need to get the railitek springs, my rear end is a little low when I'm loaded up. Anyone else have an issue with multiple bikes off the hitch and getting a fair amount of sag.

61 - 80 of 115 Posts