Subaru Outback Forums banner

101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2006 OBW 5MT 2.5i, Satin White Pearl
71 Posts
Looks great! How is the wind noise with those racks? I have 1 Yakima, Forklift I think its called, and the wind noise is crazy. I like to have the sunroof open a lot, but the rack makes so much noise its unbearable, so I either take the rack off or leave the roof closed.
I've got the same setup on my 06, no discernible wind noise, then again, I don't have a sunroof either!

·
Registered
2009 Outback 2.5i Limited, white
5 Posts
Here is my rack, a Swagman Quad 2+2, I have the +2 off right now, I only put it on when I'm hauling all of the family bikes.

·
Registered
2009 Outback XT 5M KYB GR2, King Springs
40 Posts
I'll take some more current pictures when I head to the off road trails today and will put my bike on the rack.

I usually carry my bike inside but for when I want to carry one outside or take my fat-tire bike, I have a 1up USA rack.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium
57 Posts
Looks great! How is the wind noise with those racks? I have 1 Yakima, Forklift I think its called, and the wind noise is crazy. I like to have the sunroof open a lot, but the rack makes so much noise its unbearable, so I either take the rack off or leave the roof closed.
Sorry about the late reply. They are super quiet. Still running without a faring. I used to have a Legacy with a Yakima rack on qtowers and if I didn't have a faring you would hear that howl. I guess its because the RM Tierods have that low profile are so close to the roof. I dig them.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5Ltd w/EyeSight
241 Posts
Some more pics from ride today. Same place. No snow this time!
KingTito, can you post more on your 1Up roof mount?

I have their hitch rack and love it, I picked up a RockyMounts TieRod recently as a 3rd Bike option but I m now leaning towards the full bike 1up roof mount?

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2009 Outback XT 5M KYB GR2, King Springs
40 Posts
KingTito, can you post more on your 1Up roof mount?

I have their hitch rack and love it, I picked up a RockyMounts TieRod recently as a 3rd Bike option but I m now leaning towards the full bike 1up roof mount?

What are your thoughts?

So far so good! This is my first non-fork mount bike carrier. If that makes sense! In other words, I have always had the ones where you take the front wheel off.

The problem is with my fat-tire bike, I can't use a fork mount carrier unless I get the "fork-up" adapter. I didn't feel confident in that solution so after a bit of looking around, I thought I would try the 1up. It appealed to me because of the simplicity of the design, the reviews I read, and the fact that it is made in the US. I felt like they deserved my business.

I don't have a trailer hitch and don't want or need one.

I haven't carried bikes on it more than 25-30 miles. Bikes wobble a bit more side to side than I was used to with my fork mount. However, that fork mount wasn't on factory cross bars. I believe the wobble is likely due to the factory cross bars.

It is easy to load up and secure bikes. I put the bike up there and move the rear arm forward then move the front arm forward then tug on the front tire to push the bike back some more and try to close the arm a bit more and same for the back tire where I tug on the tire to roll the bike forward to try to close the rear arm a bit more. This secures it very confidently in place.

I left it on throughout the winter and it looks brand new. I paid more for the black anodized finish. The bolts that secure it to the cross bar are corroding a bit so I may replace those soon.

Customer service was great and installation was a breeze.

I have no specific plans to drive anywhere with a bike up there for long distances. If I had such plans, I would probably think about getting some different cross bars. I haven't read anything that makes me think it would be less secure somehow than a fork mount. However, a fork mount may be cleaner aero wise with a bike up there so that may cut down on wind noise and boost mileage. This would be a non-starter for my fat-bike but I don't plan on traveling with that anyway.

Bottomline, I am very impressed so far. It has a pretty clean low profile when not in use as well and blends in well with the black anodized finish.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5Ltd w/EyeSight
241 Posts
Thanks KingTito!

The stock crossbars on my Outback are definitely a weakness too.

At least your Gen has options, we have some and they all suck! :29:

·
Registered
15 2.5i Limited Ice Silver / 06 2.5i 5MT Atlantic Blue-Silver
167 Posts
Got the tandem out with us camping this weekend using an old Rocky Mounts tandem accessory I found on craigslist!

·
Registered
2008 Outback Base
5 Posts
Does anyone have practical experience numbers comparing fuel mileage of roof rack vs. hitch rack? Would love to stay in the upper 20's for road trips like idaho to denver next summer.

Anyone compare fuel mileage for farrings?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Does anyone have practical experience numbers comparing fuel mileage of roof rack vs. hitch rack? Would love to stay in the upper 20's for road trips like idaho to denver next summer.

Anyone compare fuel mileage for farrings?
Two mt bikes with fork mount trays on the lid at 65-70mph is around a 3-5mpg hit depending on head winds. Translated to two different subarus the 2001 2.5L 5spd 22-23mpg vs same trip no bikes on the lid 26-28mpg.

The 2010 2.5L CVT OB 65-70mph about 25mpg ish vs 29mpg ish with / without. 65mph and Under we have noticed very little impact on the mileage with the bikes on the roof. For instance a week of driving in Yosemite and sierras which was all pretty much 65mph and under we had a tank average of 33mpg! The trip home across the valley at 70mph the tank average was 25mpg. We've also seen as low as 22mpg with heavy head winds with roof rack gear - without roof gear weve seen as low as 23mpg with headwinds and 70ishmph speeds.

The rack with just the roof box is about a 2mpg hit
A basket on the roof rack runs into the 5mpg hit at the higher speeds BTW

We did a trip not long ago with the 2010 2.5 CVT Legacy with the two tray hitch rack with two bikes and we came to the conclusion that if there was an impact on mileage it wasn't much however I do not like traveling long distance with the bikes hung low on the back of the car I much prefer to have them up high where I can see them during stops at fast food joints, keeps them up out of the way ie not getting backed into in parking lots and having them up high makes it a little less likely someone is going to be tempted to pull some interesting item off the bike that happens to catch their eye etc give its far more obvious climbing up to remove something vs just plucking the item off a bike at waist height etc.

I love the hitch trays for local rides makes for quick loading and hitting the trail they are awesome for that. Long road trips I like the bikes up high not for mileage sake so much but for ease of keeping tabs on them when stopped at rest stops etc and avoiding them getting backed into etc Given we tend to have roof gear either way on road trips the mileage hit isn't big enough really for me to want them on the back for mileage reasons.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
BTW I run a 30 inch wide roof box on 54 inch bars with two fork trays on the roof rack for two bikes and a box. I have a set of 60 inch bars I might use for the once a year trip where we have a third bike but on the OB they pose a noggin knocking risk for people getting into and out of the car vs right now the 60 inch bars are on the big SUV which we hauled 6 people to a cabin with along with three bikes and the roof box a few months back.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Limited
37 Posts
Repurposed a RockyMounts Jetline roof mount bike rack to carry my bike on the inside of my car. Rack secures to car seat mount using a threaded hook and a thumb knob. I do have to remove the seat for it to fit so it doesn't make sense for daily usage, but for longer trips it is much more secure. This setup allows me to carry three people comfortably, plus most of the cargo space is still open for bags.

IMG_20190926_190039.jpg IMG_20190926_185500.jpg IMG_20190926_192340.jpg

101 - 115 of 115 Posts