Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the market for a bike roof mount for a 29" hardtail on my 2009 Outback. Any suggestions? I the factory cross bars.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R
25 Posts
I've got a Yakima rack that can attach to the factory crossbars with the correct clamps. I have both the High Roller & the older King Cobra (I believe) on mine, which holds the complete bike and they hold just fine. Either one has a adjustment to change for the wheel size which is on the fly. You can also buy locks to go with the cable that's built into the rack. I've used this style for years with never an issue.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Also check out the rocky mounts tie rod. $120 each on amazon and very low profile.

·
Registered
2006 Outback XT
96 Posts
I like the tie rods alot, but if you want to leave the wheels on, then they won't work.

Rocky mounts makes an excellent rack it is will suit your purpose.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R
25 Posts
EDIT from my orig post above. I actually have in that pict the Yakima bars, but the racks will fit on the factory crossbars. I just chose not to do it that way and it does sit a little higher this way.
Yakima/Thule also make fork mount racks that will work on the crossbars as well. You just have to contend with what to do with the front wheel, inside or outside. They make a fork attachment that holds your front wheel on top of the rack too. Not sure if they have one for 29" though :)

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
I've got a Yakima rack that can attach to the factory crossbars with the correct clamps. I have both the High Roller & the older King Cobra (I believe) on mine, which holds the complete bike and they hold just fine. Either one has a adjustment to change for the wheel size which is on the fly. You can also buy locks to go with the cable that's built into the rack. I've used this style for years with never an issue.

I join you liking the ones holding the wheels. My 1 Up hitch rack is first choice and I use same as yours on roof when needed.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
16 Posts
Rocky Mounts Tie Rod

I have owned two Rocky Mount Tie Rod's for several years and love them. The older one, probably about 4 or 5 years old, is showing some wear. Finish is chipping off a little on the front part but not a big deal for me. I take them off every summer and lubricate the interior bolts etc, otherwise I found you will struggle to get them off or adjust them. I also replaced the lock cores last year as they were failing. I leave them on year round and live in a snowy area, exposed to salt as well and trips through the car wash. On my 2012 they fit great. On my previous 2006, I had to move the cross bar to the front gap in the rail so the rear gate wouldn't hit the back tire. I think, not sure, the 2009 has the same rail design. I have large tires (2.25 rear and 2.4 front) on my mtb. With two mounted I can get my road bike and mtb on there but if the handle bars were to line up I doubt I could get two up there unless I pushed them as far out as possible, not an ideal setup. Very low profile and easy to install. Come in a variety of colors, I have silver, which are essentially unpainted so I cannot speak of the quality of the finish of the colored models. Overall for me the low cost, low profile and ease of use makes this a winner with some maintanence. Other than this I had hitch mounted racks and have gotten away from those. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R
25 Posts
…With two mounted I can get my road bike and mtb on there but if the handle bars were to line up I doubt I could get two up there unless I pushed them as far out as possible, not an ideal setup.…
That's why I have 1 going forward & the other reversed :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys had me sole on the Rocky Mounts tie rod, but it must not work with a through axle? Maybe I could have stated that in my original post.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R
25 Posts
You guys had me sole on the Rocky Mounts tie rod, but it must not work with a through axle? Maybe I could have stated that in my original post.
Yeah if you've got the 15mm thru-axle w/your bike, I would go for the complete bike on top o' the car. Screw that you have to buy this piece, then that piece plus using it on top of the car is more of a hassle than reg 9mm thru-axle IMO. The Yakima High Roller is MSRP $200, but they have a lower models for $180/$150 & $140 respectively that all work with complete bikes. Thule also makes very comparable designs as well and they are $200/$180/$160 for theirs.

I know that the 2 lowest models are harder to use on top of an Outback unless 6' 4" because of the "grabbing" location. Even with a step stool, the ones I use (have pictured) are kinda difficult to get up there because of the height of the Outback.

Good luck with your choosing!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I sell racks all the time... If I had to buy one it would be the Thule sidearm. Fits factory racks, easy to use and the bike goes on and off in seconds.

·
Registered
2013 OB limited
102 Posts
INNO FORK LOCK III. fits factory, thule, yak bars. got 2 for $155 & free shipping from autoanything. fits all bars, built in locks (keyed same if you request), very sturdy. locks lock racks to the vehicle AND bike to rack. Only possible downside is they have grey trays instead of black. I looked @ rocky, yak, thule, and a couple others. no comparison for the price and they ARE well build. Ride on...
I bought a THULE ride-on adapter just in case, but now don't need it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Link added to my post-WTF??!

I sell racks all the time... If I had to buy one it would be the Thule sidearm. Fits factory racks, easy to use and the bike goes on and off in seconds.
I am quite pissed to see that a link was added into my post regarding the Thule sidearm! It linked to a website (autoanything.com) that I have never visited, nor support. I'm hoping a moderator could explain how this could happen...

Anyways, buy a rack from REI... Members have a 20% off coupon now too!

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i 6spdMT
71 Posts
So I've been looking all over the place at roof racks as well, and have a few questions that I'd like input on:

1. Fork Mount vs. Frame Mount? I'm leaning toward fork mount because it sounds more stable, easier to mount (assuming quick-disconnect), and if for some reason I have a carbon-fiber bike I don't have to worry about destroying it in the mount.

2. Related to fork mount: What do you guys do with the front wheel? I'm a mountain biker and there are days when i get off the trail COVERED in mud and my wheels look like brownies. Are the front-wheel rack mounts worth it? What about just bungie'd to the bike?

3. Looking at the racks on "Subaru Online Parts" (https://www.subaruonlineparts.com/p...=1058&osCsid=175563bc49998317fede9c660ecb4a50 )
Is this just a re-labelled Yakima rack? Anyone know if they come with keys, or you have to buy a core set, or can request the same key for 2 or 3 racks?

I know it's a subaru and I shouldn't fret about tossing some mud in the rear hatch, but I'm thinking more along the lines of road trips and having a bunch of stuff in the rear that i *dont* want mud on.

Input is much appreciated!!

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 CVT All-Weather/Alloy Package, Graphite Gray
199 Posts
I have a Tie Rod. Love it. Bike is very stable on it. I'm sure Thule and Yak also work very well. I just happened to be at REI and had a discount and they happened to have Tie Rods.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bike rack help

Fork vs frame... That is why I like the Sidearm by Thule. No contact with the frame and no need to remove (and store) the front wheel. Just lift up, drop the front ratchet arm onto the front tire and fix the back ratchet strap. Especially with mountain bikes I would shy away from fork mounted carriers (axle size differences, disk break rotors, etc.). For road bikes they are Ok, but nearly as fast as the sidearm.

Yes, the Subaru racks are simply Yakima racks...

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i 6spdMT
71 Posts
So I've been looking all over the place at roof racks as well, and have a few questions that I'd like input on:

1. Fork Mount vs. Frame Mount? I'm leaning toward fork mount because it sounds more stable, easier to mount (assuming quick-disconnect), and if for some reason I have a carbon-fiber bike I don't have to worry about destroying it in the mount.

2. Related to fork mount: What do you guys do with the front wheel? I'm a mountain biker and there are days when i get off the trail COVERED in mud and my wheels look like brownies. Are the front-wheel rack mounts worth it? What about just bungie'd to the bike?

3. Looking at the racks on "Subaru Online Parts" (https://www.subaruonlineparts.com/p...=1058&osCsid=175563bc49998317fede9c660ecb4a50 )
Is this just a re-labelled Yakima rack? Anyone know if they come with keys, or you have to buy a core set, or can request the same key for 2 or 3 racks?

I know it's a subaru and I shouldn't fret about tossing some mud in the rear hatch, but I'm thinking more along the lines of road trips and having a bunch of stuff in the rear that i *dont* want mud on.

Input is much appreciated!!
:17: excuse my self-bump :gasp:

Want to hear what everyone does with their front wheels! Or what racks you use... anyone cartin around a Pugsley? (ie fat-tire bike)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I prefer fork mount to frame mount. I like the stability, compatibility with all frame designs, aesthetics, and slightly less wind resistance.

For my front wheel, if it's not very muddy I just put it in the back since there is the rubber floor protector. If it is muddy, I use a wheel bag. Mine is "Continental" branded, but I've had various ones over the years and they're all about the same.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts