Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Premium
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering a 2019 black Outback, Touring.

I’ve never owned a black car. However, the black Touring has caught my eye.

Any feedback from from folks that own or have own a black Outback would be appreciated.

Thanks...

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
346 Posts
Considering a 2019 black Outback, Touring.

I’ve never owned a black car. However, the black Touring has caught my eye.

Any feedback from from folks that own or have own a black Outback would be appreciated.

Thanks...

I have a black 2018 Touring. Looks great when clean and shiny. Not so good when it needs a bath, but then you can say the same about most any color.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 OB
106 Posts
Black looks good from one extreme to the other. Really clean - looks great. Really dirty/muddy - looks great. In the middle, aka after a rain storm--not that great.

I still love my black car, though.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,305 Posts
When I think of a black car I always think about how hot that sucker is going to be sitting in the sun. And I live up north. I've always preferred white or at least a lighter color just for that reason. I had every intention of getting a white Outback when I started looking but didn't like that all they have is the pearl white and not just a plain solid white. I still love the looks of my Lapis Blue Outback but next time around will be a much lighter color. Granted, it doesn't take long to cool the car down but that initial blast of heat is crazy at times and I'm not one to start using the remote start to cool things down ahead of time.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
346 Posts
When I think of a black car I always think about how hot that sucker is going to be sitting in the sun. And I live up north. I've always preferred white or at least a lighter color just for that reason. I had every intention of getting a white Outback when I started looking but didn't like that all they have is the pearl white and not just a plain solid white. I still love the looks of my Lapis Blue Outback but next time around will be a much lighter color. Granted, it doesn't take long to cool the car down but that initial blast of heat is crazy at times and I'm not one to start using the remote start to cool things down ahead of time.

This overstates the lighter color vs black interior temperature difference. They will both get very hot when left in the sun on a hot, clear summer day. Tests show a max difference of a few degrees. Google it. And blue, brown, or gray cars would be nearly the same as black. If you really like black, I wouldn’t make the choice to go light for the few degrees involved. And I live in Virginia where it can get pretty hot in the summer. It’s not that bad. YMMV.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ Eyesight
3 Posts
Love our black Outback Limited 3.6R! It does get pretty dirty from pollen/rain but you only really notice up close. Our silver Forester certainly hides dirt a little better, but a dirty car is a dirty car. The black blends in with the cladding nicely and makes the white DRLs stand out. When it's clean it looks reallyyyy good.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
This overstates the lighter color vs black interior temperature difference. They will both get very hot when left in the sun on a hot, clear summer day. Tests show a max difference of a few degrees. Google it. And blue, brown, or gray cars would be nearly the same as black. If you really like black, I wouldn’t make the choice to go light for the few degrees involved. And I live in Virginia where it can get pretty hot in the summer. It’s not that bad. YMMV.

I prefer actual experience to "tests". Tests also tell me the EPA fuel mileage ratings and those rarely match reality either. I'm regularly seeing interior temps above 150F this summer in my dark blue car, and I don't remember ever seeing close to that in my previous white cars. On a recent trip down south there was a very noticeable difference getting into my car compared to my dad's white car parked side by side in his driveway.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Black cars look good so long as you keep up with it.....once the paint gets swirls in it, black looks like crap.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
1,855 Posts
Looks great clean but not so good dirty and seems to get dirty really quick. I like it but most likely would not be my first choice next time. Actually wasn't my first choice originally but it was on the lot exactly how I wanted it and dealer was motivated to move it. I wasn't picky about the color so it worked out.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
346 Posts
I prefer actual experience to "tests". Tests also tell me the EPA fuel mileage ratings and those rarely match reality either. I'm regularly seeing interior temps above 150F this summer in my dark blue car, and I don't remember ever seeing close to that in my previous white cars. On a recent trip down south there was a very noticeable difference getting into my car compared to my dad's white car parked side by side in his driveway.

Please yourself. Us engineers think data is helpful. The good thing about these forums is that people like you and me can submit our experiences and opinions and it can help the OP make his/her choice.

·
Registered
2017 OB 3.6R Ltd/2018 Forester Premium Blk Ed/2011 Legacy Ltd
65 Posts
Black cars look good so long as you keep up with it.....once the paint gets swirls in it, black looks like crap.
Yup - I agree. Have a black Legacy sedan for my daughter and the swirl marks are really noticeable.
Now, what about a Black Edition Outback? Like the 2018 Subaru Forester Premium Black Edition.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
346 Posts
Yup - I agree. Have a black Legacy sedan for my daughter and the swirl marks are really noticeable. . .

Suggest not using whatever tool causes the swirl marks. After nearly a year with my black Outback I don’t have any.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Please yourself. Us engineers think data is helpful. The good thing about these forums is that people like you and me can submit our experiences and opinions and it can help the OP make his/her choice.

And us folks who work on cars have thoughts about the engineers who design them but that's probably best left unsaid. :grin2:

·
Registered
2019 Acura RDX, 2018 Audi TT RS
10 Posts
Unless you are detailing master, a one year old white car will look much better than a one year old black one. Run a black one through a car wash and see every swirl mark and imperfection in the paint.

Beautiful color, but I am way too neurotic to ever have one! :wink2:

My Audi has the "black optics" package - mirrors and other trim, and that keeps me awake at night. :surprise:

A silver car will always look the cleanest.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Suggest not using whatever tool causes the swirl marks. After nearly a year with my black Outback I don’t have any.
I need to find a was to keep the neighbor's cat from chasing its tail on the hood of my Outback. :laugh:

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
346 Posts
And us folks who work on cars have thoughts about the engineers who design them but that's probably best left unsaid. :grin2:

I imagine so, but where would you be without any engineers designing cars? Not much to work on, I think.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
451 Posts
depends on how well you keep it.

I found that my non DD cars were OK as black. But any thing I drive daily turned to **** fast. I wouldnt buy one in black because to me, its a utility vehicle.

That being said, they look really good in black.

When clean. And without swirls.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Black Outback
168 Posts
My new Outback is black, old one was green. Almost every car I have had is black so I jumped at the chance to go back. Personally, I love black cars, but also 95% of my wardrobe is black too. :)

Meh so it gets dirty easier, I say who cares? Most cars get dirty right after a wash anyway. And your car is going to be hot inside no matter what the color is in the summer, can you really tell the difference between your car being 90 degrees and 100 on the inside? Hot is hot!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
Black cars are like boats. Two great days......the day you buy it and the day you sell it.. Black is like a beautiful woman in an LBD...stunning, gorgeous and sexy......but really high maintenance.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
203 Posts
I think almost any vehicle looks worse in black than any other color. Black blurs the lines of the vehicle. Say find a black Vette, Fererri, or something like that and compare it to any other color. Black only make ugly vehicles look better, something real ugly like that Nissan Juke.
I've never had a black car and never will. But to each their own.
Agreed on the silver color, most vehicles look better in lighter colors and stay looking clean longer.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts