Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5i Premium
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a 2.5 premium ob with eyesight. Preferred colors are dark blue and magnite grey. The inventory at several dealership, however, are mostly black.

I am wondering is Black the most popular color and dealers keep more in stock or exactly the opposite - it is least desired and that is why left over are all black.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am looking for a 2.5 premium ob with eyesight. Preferred colors are dark blue and magnite grey. The inventory at several dealership, however, are mostly black.

I am wondering is Black the most popular color and dealers keep more in stock or exactly the opposite - it is least desired and that is why left over are all black.
Ours is a grey, and that's what we commonly see, that and blue. We are trading in for a black one this afternoon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited
37 Posts
Color is all about personal preference. I personally don't like black on an outback. When we were shopping we were down to two options, a tungsten gray or wilderness green metallic. Given that the two were equal in almost every way, my wife instantly went for the green. It's a less common color and she loves green. We traded in a Black Tribeca. I liked the look of Black on that car, but it always looked dirty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like the green and dark blue a lot but not the light colored interior unfortunately.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Not a lot of black ones on the dealer lot's in my area. Sports cars look good black, station wagons not so much.....

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5i Premium
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did a quick survey around the office, and it sure seems all personal preference. :)

I too prefer a darker interior to the light colored ones. So to me the gray one would be a better choice than the dark blue. But I'm thinking to maybe go for some aftermarket leather (I'm getting a Premium so no factory leather).

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
903 Posts
Maybe it's a local thing. Or just a specific trim/option thing. Autotrader shows 23,000 listings for new 2018 Outbacks nationwide and Black, White, Blue, and Grey are fairly equally represented between 15%-18% each. Red and Silver are around 12% each. Green is 7%. Gold rounds out the last 2%.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Black Outback
168 Posts
I have a green currently, and want to switch to black. This is my first non-black car in forever, and I just feel out of sorts not having one. :)

Still shopping around for 2018's since my lease is up in August. I am kinda surprised at how many dealers are kinda just refusing to give me sales price and numbers without having me "come on in" first. It's kinda annoying.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would take the green with the new grey interior no problem, but that is sadly not an option

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
603 Posts
Invariably, with every car I bought off of the lot I ended up unhappy with missing options or a color that I did not care for. For the last four new cars I have factory-ordered the color, interior and options that I want.

I have a black OB right now (bought this one used) and it looks like... well, it looks rough, lots of scratches on the paint from driving through the woods and getting whacked with tree branches, covered with pine tree sap and a few minor dents and dings. I have even used it for a few days to pull a small tiller-cultivator around my property to chop up kudzu vines and make the soil friendlier for planting a garden (I have 92 acres total, I used ubarSu to till about 1/2 acre).

Right now I am getting ready for car-buyin-time again and want all of the options that are available in the touring package but I also want the color to be red. Unfortunately for the touring trim package the 2018 model only comes in black, blue, green and white. If I downgraded the trim package to limited then the options INCREASE from four to nine colors, including crimson red. On the interior the seats can only be mocha brown, on limited the seats can be titanium, ivory or slate colored.

HEY SUBARU! If someone is going to make the additional investment of the TOURING package then they should have every factory option available to them... Not just something that some style critic at SOA has decided upon.

As for the color black... it works fine on my MB but not so well on the Subie.

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5i Premium
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I was driving to work this morning, I paid attention to the cars on the street, and did think black looked good on sports cars. But I thought one of the key selling point of OB/Forester is off-road driving, which is related to outdoor adventurous activities. So it's kinda different from a station wagon in the traditional sense.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think black looks ok, I was just hoping for a different color since all our other cars are black. But the wife wants it in black so there we go. I view the outback as more of a suv/wagon hybrid, considering that it's more capable than most of the SUVs owned by my friends.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
590 Posts
the delearship I bought my '18 from had quite a few magnetite grey OBs, as well as the light blue and silver. I wanted grey, most of my previous vehicles have been darker colors. ive owned one black vehicle and it showed everything. I like the grey as its very subtle and with the black leather it goes great. they had a magnetite with the grey interior and I thought that combo was really nice too- but blacks better with a 3 year old.

personally I think black on an OB is just meh...

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
15 Posts
I bought black with ivory leather. The dealer took a little while to find the combination, but I'm guessing it was more due to the ivory leather. Not sure, but I would say white and black are the two most popular colors for cars generally.

I really like white and black for the OB, only because they match up so well with all the black plastic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We had a Black Honda Odyssey and decided I did not want a black car again. Black vehicles show dirt very well and anythings that mars the clear coat will show easily. An automatic carwash that touches your vehicle can leave rather permanent swirl marks all over. Washing your vehicle in general becomes more tedious if you want the vehicle looking anything close to what it looked like the day you got it. If you don't care (which I eventually didn't) then this isn't a worry. When we bought our OB recently we wanted a 3.6 Limited. Both local dealerships had black ones available and the dark blue. What was rare was silver and Magnatite Gray. I think it is because they are not as popular. Interestingly, I feel I see more black cars on the road here in Nashville than anywhere else I've lived. Seems to be quite popular - the color, for cars in general, maybe just not for those looking for Outbacks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You didn’t mention where you live. A black colored car will become very hot if left in the sun during the summer. And it will become very very hot if you live in a southern state. Lighter colors reflect the heat; darker colors absorb the heat.

Maybe dealers in your area ordered too many OBs in black? Maybe black is a less desirable color because of the heat and take longer to sell? To be sure, there would have to be a car color preference study by geographic area to know why you see so many unsold black OBs on dealer lots in your area.

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5i Premium
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You didn’t mention where you live. A black colored car will become very hot if left in the sun during the summer. And it will become very very hot if you live in a southern state. Lighter colors reflect the heat; darker colors absorb the heat.

Maybe dealers in your area ordered too many OBs in black? Maybe black is a less desirable color because of the heat and take longer to sell? To be sure, there would have to be a car color preference study by geographic area to know why you see so many unsold black OBs on dealer lots in your area.
I am in IN. The dealerships I checked are in central, north IN and IL. So that could be the reason why there are more black obs in dealers lot.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,016 Posts
Black cars are like boats. They are only great the day you buy them and the day you sell them.:wink2: I'm OCD so black is not an option. The piano gloss black trim pieces on my Touring are enough black for me.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,666 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts