·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
603 Posts

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,419 Posts
Right now I am getting ready for car-buyin-time again and want all of the options that are available in the touring package but I also want the color to be red. Unfortunately for the touring trim package the 2018 model only comes in black, blue, green and white. If I downgraded the trim package to limited then the options INCREASE from four to nine colors, including crimson red. On the interior the seats can only be mocha brown, on limited the seats can be titanium, ivory or slate colored.

HEY SUBARU! If someone is going to make the additional investment of the TOURING package then they should have every factory option available to them... Not just something that some style critic at SOA has decided upon.

As for the color black... it works fine on my MB but not so well on the Subie.
We were in the same boat. Wanted a Touring, but didn't like the limited colors to select from. We got lucky and found a CPO '17 in Brilliant Brown Pearl. Limited to 2000 2017's. When my Wife saw it, I could tell by the look in her eyes that we were not leaving the dealership without it. We've had 3 White Outbacks, and a very nice 08 LL Bean/ Deep Metallic Bronze with Harvest Gold trim. She loved that color combination. When we went shopping, her criteria was pretty much NO BLACK, and NO WHITE. Leaving just the Wilderness Green (not for me), and Dark Blue Pearl. Neither appealed to me.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
An Outback Hearse might look pretty cool.
It’s a funny visual for me, because for regular length caskets, it comes up short in the area behind the fromt seats.

Also, while I’ll admit I’ve not measured them to verify their height, I’m thinking it’d be too tight of a fit that way, too, as there is less than 30” clearance in the liftgate opening to work with.

Ok, so it certainly isn’t long enough for a standard casket in the US, and it may not have enough clearance: unfortunately, loaded caskets are too heavy to put on the roof rack, so, we would need to have a trailer.

Well, it was a fun mental exercise to consider!

Subaru needs to make something suitable, an AWD hearse so funeral processions can take people to their final resting places, a giant canyon up a rough road, where they’re slid into the abyss with a great crash, so their occupants become a part of the great outdoors in death in a similar manner to what they were in life!>:)

Reactions: Danver

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Subaru needs to make something suitable, an AWD hearse so funeral processions can take people to their final resting places, a giant canyon up a rough road, where they’re slid into the abyss with a great crash, so their occupants become a part of the great outdoors in death in a similar manner to what they were in life!>:)
In keeping with the eco-friendly aspects I would rather be wrapped up in a burlap sack dropped in a hole and have a tree planted on my remains... I won't have much further use for them, let them serve some useful purpose.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
I was thinking along the same lines about the tree-funeral.. My family could come and have a picnic under the tree if they wanted to remember me...

But the squirrels would bother them... they would then say; "yes, aunt Tisha always was a little nuts".

Reactions: Zedhead

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
2,768 Posts
I am looking for a 2.5 premium ob with eyesight. Preferred colors are dark blue and magnite grey. The inventory at several dealership, however, are mostly black.

I am wondering is Black the most popular color and dealers keep more in stock or exactly the opposite - it is least desired and that is why left over are all black.

Where are you located? In Sacramento, white is easily the most stocked color. It seems like over 50% of the cars on the road are white. The temperature often gets to 110 degrees here. In the summer, everybody with a dark colored car is assumed to be mentally ill. Perhaps they bought in the winter and forgot, or they moved here from another part of the country.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,666 Posts
[An Outback Hearse is] a funny visual for me, because for regular length caskets, it comes up short in the area behind the fromt seats.

Also, while I’ll admit I’ve not measured them to verify their height, I’m thinking it’d be too tight of a fit that way, too, as there is less than 30” clearance in the liftgate opening to work with.

Ok, so it certainly isn’t long enough for a standard casket in the US, and it may not have enough clearance: unfortunately, loaded caskets are too heavy to put on the roof rack, so, we would need to have a trailer.
But not if the casket itself is a Thule or Yakima cartopper! Perhaps there's even a market for these companies to do them in an eco-friendly, one-time-use version for exactly this purpose.

OK, now that we've had this little discussion, it's time for me to go modify my final directives to my family .....

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
2 Posts
The black has grown on me. Wouldn't have been my first choice but I'm liking it.
We went from a black 2012 Ford Explorer to a twilight blue 2018 Limited 3.6R three years ago, thinking that we didn't want to go right back to a black vehicle. Well, my wife has me searching now for a used black 2018 or 2019 Limited 3.6R. They haven't been easy to find in Northern California and with everything going on right now, I'm not eager to go to Southern California or out of state.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Black is harder to keep clean/swirl/scratch free, your local dealer might just have got a few as a bundle job lot/auction. I like Blue or Grey metallic, if i was ordering new, and had time to wait, i'd have gone with the Magnetite Grey, but wanted out of my weak performance CX-5 deal, so went with the showroom 2019 OB in Dark Blue Pearl and Ivory interior (my CX-5 had light stone leather interior). so for me, a bit easier to keep clean/shiny outside, with the right detailing products, and same with interior. For long trips, just added Subaru neck cushions (colour coded) and seat belt pads, same as i did with the CX-5 before that. Even with 2.5L NA engine, overtakes no bother on Scottish roads, unlike the CX-5!

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited 2.5i
223 Posts
Black is harder to keep clean/swirl/scratch free
We had a Jade Ceramic finish put on. The other day I just parked it in the rain and it's clean and spot free(our tap water spots horribly). When I foam and two bucket wash it I have to blow the rinse water off. The ceramic makes it easy to clean. Magnetite grey would have been my choice I think.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The day I bough mine I was sure I was going to buy the forest Autumn Green/napa brown combo. Then I saw the Crystal Black Silica/napa brown combo and I was smitten.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
2 Posts
Black is harder to keep clean/swirl/scratch free, your local dealer might just have got a few as a bundle job lot/auction. I like Blue or Grey metallic, if i was ordering new, and had time to wait, i'd have gone with the Magnetite Grey, but wanted out of my weak performance CX-5 deal, so went with the showroom 2019 OB in Dark Blue Pearl and Ivory interior (my CX-5 had light stone leather interior). so for me, a bit easier to keep clean/shiny outside, with the right detailing products, and same with interior. For long trips, just added Subaru neck cushions (colour coded) and seat belt pads, same as i did with the CX-5 before that. Even with 2.5L NA engine, overtakes no bother on Scottish roads, unlike the CX-5!
View attachment 489763
Definitely true regarding the upkeep. When I first bought my black 2012 Ford Explorer, the plastic piano black pillars all around the exterior were scratched up from the transferring dealership running it through their carwash. After buying it from my local dealership, I noticed the scratches later that evening when I saw them in my garage under a fluorescent light. The dealership sent me to an autobody shop to have them buffed out. They came out great and there was no need to have them replaced. After that, I hand washed the Explorer for the five years that I owned it to keep the scratches/swirls to a minimum and have done the same with the Outback and my Ram 1500. Personally, my favorite color is a charcoal grey. Since my Ram 1500 is that color (cyrstal granite metallic), my wife wasn't going for two similar colors.

·
Registered
2016 OB Limited 3.6R
228 Posts
Black is the fastest ;)

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
5 Posts
I'm a little over a year into ownership of a black 2016 Outback 3.5 and I've been happy with the color (while I'd love to have an orange one, like the Crosstrek) the black is nice, I've added some tint to the amber and the clear lights which blend into the black better and I find the color dignified, but black does need to be cleaned regularly, more than white, more than grey, if you're willing to tolerate or accommodate that.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2nd Subaru owned
240 Posts
Black is the HARDEST color to keep clean. Dark blue is next. Lapiz blue that Subaru has is not too bad to keep clean but it shows scratches and chips.Red, depending upon the shade can be good or bad. White is the best color if you don't like to wash your car . As far as heat retention, Dark colors (black) are the worst, White is the best. In the winter, Black and dark colors are the best to see in the snow. Of course, white is the worst. I think the popularity of colors depend upon where you live.

·
Premium Member
2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring
61 Posts
I'm boring white-car color guy.

The reason is simple: I live in the South and anything that gives me an advantage against the heat is welcome.

If I were choosing based on just color preference:
  • Wilderness Green
  • Twilight Blue
  • Ice Silver
  • Tungsten
I just like the unique colors. Black is OK. I don't know that I'd pick it. It'd be one of those, "Well, this car has everything ELSE I want... I'll just settle on it being black."

21 - 38 of 38 Posts