Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium w/ power moonroof, dimming mirrors and power hatch. All weather package
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I opened the front passenger door and saw a black goop inside the door. Tried getting it off and it's like a molten rubber. Smells like ribber. Investigating I found that it is leaking out of a crack between the rubber seals that keep water out of the car at the door. I've shuck a piece of paper towel into where it is leaking to keep it from leaking more. In 3000 miles I have my next service. Wonder how the dealer will fix it?

It's warm out but not so warm that the car should not be able to handle it. Mid-80's some days. Made into the 90's one day.

See photos. I've been able to scrape most but not all of the gunk off the inside door.

The front driver side has the same issue but has not yet leaked down.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
603 Posts
It is known as "body cavity wax"; It is an corrosion protection material that is sprayed inside of body panels and chassis beams to keep air and water away from metal.

Here is a video on how it is applied;

It can be tan or black colored. Once it is sprayed in the material coats a panel and then flows down in to the seams at the bottom of the door. This minimizes the rusting that may happen at those points. Gradually it will dry and harden, it is meant to flow for a little bit of time.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium w/ power moonroof, dimming mirrors and power hatch. All weather package
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I've had the car for almost a year now. I'll still ask the dealer to close the seams where it's leaking out.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
I understand how those drain holes at the bottom of the door edge could be really annoying for leaving goo on the finish. There may be a very good reason to not close those up;

When it rains or when you wash your car, there will be a small amount of water that slides between the outer window seal and the glass. That water runs down inside of the door and follows that edge to get to those drain points where the water then runs out of the bottom of the door. If you close up those points then the water will not be able to escape from inside of the door, very bad corrosion will quickly happen and when the water level gets high enough (a few inches) it will spill in to the inside of the car, maybe destroy the speaker and the inner trim.

Reactions: kdl and Yoda_One

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand how those drain holes at the bottom of the door edge could be really annoying for leaving goo on the finish. There may be a very good reason to not close those up;

When it rains or when you wash your car, there will be a small amount of water that slides between the outer window seal and the glass. That water runs down inside of the door and follows that edge to get to those drain points where the water then runs out of the bottom of the door. If you close up those points then the water will not be able to escape from inside of the door, very bad corrosion will quickly happen and when the water level gets high enough (a few inches) it will spill in to the inside of the car, maybe destroy the speaker and the inner trim.

Possibly. But the back doors don't have openings.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,239 Posts
Possibly. But the back doors don't have openings.
That doesn't make sense. So you decided that your engineering ability is more advance than Subaru. So it better to take a chance of the door rusting then simply using a biodegradable degreaser or mineral spirits to clean off the weeping excess. I really do not believe they will plug the hole which will change the original design of the front door in which would make the dealership responsible for any rust damage.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
That doesn't make sense. So you decided that your engineering ability is more advance than Subaru. So it better to take a chance of the door rusting then simply using a biodegradable degreaser or mineral spirits to clean off the weeping excess. I really do not believe they will plug the hole which will change the original design of the front door in which would make the dealership responsible for any rust damage.
You are right, they very likely will not do it. I had gotten in to a squabble with a dealership after I did not use their dealer-installed rustproofing and went to a third party shop. When I brought the car in for a routine service a few months later they tried to say that the aftermarket rustproofing would plug the drain holes and that they would invalidate my corrosion warranty. Obviously it was retributive and sour-grapes over going to someplace else for a service that they felt should of gone through them. I challenged them on that and forwarded a copy of the warranty that I had from the rustproofing place (a major, reputable chain) and the dealer just dropped the argument. It became reason #454 to not buy a Ford again.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Water can still seep through where the paper towel is and the break is not actually at the bottom for the water to drip out anyway. And there are other drill holes below the break. It's a 2017. Check your own.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,239 Posts
:whatever: :moon:

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Thanks. I've had the car for almost a year now. I'll still ask the dealer to close the seams where it's leaking out.
Don't!

Cars are designed to "breathe" and a basic rule of a car body is: water comes in - water drains out! By sealing those little "vents" you may increase chances of body starting to rust from within!

Just take a trip or take an excursion at any automobile assembly plant to see some of these little pesky secrets of assembling cars - from the big roll of steel at the origin to a car driving off the assembly line.

I highly recommend this to any car enthusiast on this site!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts