• Ice Metallic Gray

Votes: 16 64.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, about to become a part of the community with a new '17 3.6R Limited Outback. Currently the only thing holding me back is color: Crystal Black Silica or Ice Metallic Silver.

I've never owned a black car and to me it makes the car look like a completely different class, which is enticing.
I've had silver cars and I'm a little tired of how generic they look. The Ice Metallic has a lot of blue in it for my tastes as well, but I think it could look pretty sporty.

Couple of things- I live in SF, street parking. I'm planning on building the car up in the long term to make it a little more off-road rugged (lift, A/T tires, roof basket / lights, etc.). I can be a little anal about cleanliness once in a while but I also don't mind my car covered in dirt for a while.

Is the black really that hard to maintain and easily scratched? Gen 5 OB owners, how have they been holding up?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've had white and black. Both are PITA I'd pick silver any day.

Why a 17 over 18? Most people have been finding the price difference isn't worth the downgrade on things like better blind spot monitors, LED headlights, more soundproofing, upgrades to CVT, etc.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
1,855 Posts
I have a '15 3.6R in black and it looks great when clean but it's tough to keep clean.

Reactions: OBnube and filip

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why a 17 over 18? Most people have been finding the price difference isn't worth the downgrade on things like better blind spot monitors, LED headlights, more soundproofing, upgrades to CVT, etc.
I wasn't even in the market for new but there aren't many CPO 3.6's in my area and they run pretty high for 2-3 year old cars usually with ~30k miles. I'm getting quite the price (more than 2k below invoice, 7k off msrp) for a new 17 at 0%, didn't even bother to look at an 18 :)

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
550 Posts
I wasn't even in the market for new but there aren't many CPO 3.6's in my area and they run pretty high for 2-3 year old cars usually with ~30k miles. I'm getting quite the price (more than 2k below invoice, 7k off msrp) for a new 17 at 0%, didn't even bother to look at an 18 :)
Once all '17s are gone, these deals will be available for '18s, thanks for speeding up that process :)
BTW 2k off invoice is probably 5k off MSRP for that model.

·
Registered
Outback 1: 2015 2.5i Limited. Option 23, PP5, Hitch. Ice Silver. Outback 2: 2015 2.5i Limited, Option 23, PP5, Carbide Gray.
1,022 Posts
Stick with Ice Silver. Professional auto detailers refer to black cars as "a full-time job!"

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
448 Posts
As others have stated, black cars are hard to keep clean. As someone who has had several black cars, they showed all the dirt and dust. Unless you have gallons of spray detail liquid, I would go with Silver. I bought my first OB in Tungsten and my Wife’s Legacy is Ice Silver. Both look great all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 OB 2.5 Lim/ 2005 STI 400 WHP
273 Posts
I also have a black with black leather 17 with tint. You hitbthe nail on the head. You will have to clean more often if you are anal. I am.

Black does look like a level up. Esp with dark tint. Esp in the rain with the HIDs. Esp at night.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
The wind reflectors also math the window tint. That blue car in the picture is actual my 05 STI reflecting in the paint of my OB

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,143 Posts
I would have much preferred tungsten with a black interior, but strangely not possible. Would at least have been a little "different" from all the silver cars on the road. Ended up with silver, though none of the colors impressed me much, because it would show dirt least. Had a black car once and would look good for about two days. Still don't care for the color choices; too bland, too monochromatic.

·
Registered
273 Posts
17 vs 18
17 sportier firmer ride. Better grill. Better wheel. No stupid phone black interior pieces that say here are my fingerprints. But the headlights are better when you are not in the city. Hid and halogen high beams > led. The only thing I actually wish I had from the 18 is the head unit. The rest I could take or leave or am glad I don't have. New is not all ways better. Just look at the STI every year is bigger fatter slower. 05ftmfw

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Black only looks a step up when absolutely spotless, well waxed with no swirls in the paint.

Have owned a black Corvette and a black Trans Am, both pains in the tush to keep clean, especially during pollen season.

Go for the silver or consider twilight blue.

Reactions: OBnube

·
Registered
273 Posts
I first choice was the dark blue but it only comes with white interior in 17. Here are some pics I just took.

·
Registered
2018 3.6r Touring, Black, modifications: 255-55-zr18 Continental DWS06
427 Posts
I first choice was the dark blue but it only comes with white interior in 17. Here are some pics I just took.

You are the first person I have seen in a while with the Sportworks (pre Thule) rack. I like black. My X3 was black but I also like the Lapis Blue. They all show dirt and door knicks. Just have to accept it

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
451 Posts
Black only looks a step up when absolutely spotless, well waxed with no swirls in the paint.

Have owned a black Corvette and a black Trans Am, both pains in the tush to keep clean, especially during pollen season.

Go for the silver or consider twilight blue.
This.
The last 6 cars I had were black. 2 trucks, a gto two BMW and a vw. Then we got a white vw.

Some cars that sit in a garage under a cover, yes. Black. Vettes, BMW m cars, your Sunday whatever car.

Daily drivers? Nope. Never again. We actually looked at the ob in black. It looks better than many of the other colors when clean and waxed, yes. But the ob is a tool of a car. Not a show car.

Get anything but black, unless you're really familiar with your da.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
68 Posts
My first car after college was black- swore I would never buy black again. It was a pain- unless you have the time to dedicate to it weekly (cleaning it- not those spray petroleum polishes), and HAVE indoor parking- I would advise against it.

Years later, I bought a another black car- not by choice... it was the Toyota FJ left in San Diego county... had to grab it. Still regret the color - but I love it and deal with it.

Black cars will be dusty 10 mins after cleaning lol...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
If you are young, energetic and enjoy spending endless hours doting over your OB....get black. If you're more inclined to squeeze all your free time into using your OB....get anything but black..

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight
207 Posts
Not sure why everyone seems to think that the only good outback is that looks like it belong in a showroom. Who cares if it has some dirt on it... it's a car. Spending time and money to make it look like you never use the thing doesn't really make sense to me. I'd rather slap a kayak on it and get it dirty getting down to the lake. I just get the color that looks good and don't fret about keeping it too clean. Personally I hate the light grey drab look, so I'd get black out your two options, though I picked carbide for ours.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the responses so far guys. I was pretty set on silver last night.

Wife, however, realllly wants the black...

We took a walk around the neighborhood this morning to see the full range of street-parked cars, ones that are clearly shiny and ones that clearly haven?t been washed in weeks...

Couple of observations:
- the dirt/pollen/water spots we have here show up basically the same regardless of color.

- there is not much of a difference between dirty silver and clean silver

- the ice silver metallic, however, really shines blue in direct sunlight & in darker shade. a bit tooo blue for me...

- a dirty black car looks just like any other black car. a shiny black car is just out of this world.

Father in law is a car guy and recommended a ceramic coating - says it eliminates almost all black car issues. might be a decent investment under $500 for years of worry-free maintenance.

We?re young and like to do our own thing and maybe it will end up being the only black car we ever own, but why not try it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts