Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Legacy OBW, EJ22 swap, 2" suspension lift, 215/75r15, HIDs, 06 WRX interior swap
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so to start this off i first got this idea from driving up behind a 2nd gen OB on the freeway that had both inner lights burned out. it was at night and confused me. looked very sporty and just different.

about a month ago i realized i had a left inner running light out. socket was melted so i just pulled the right inner bulb for symmetry. then today i got out my plasti-dip and removed the light bar and had at it.

im happy with my final result for a couple reasons. 1: never seen another like it and 2: it has that 3rd gen OB look with just the reverse lens showing.

sorry for the iphone shot. id love to hear what you guys think.

cheers

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,971 Posts
Since your car is black, why not go ahead and paint it to match the body? Not sure how I feel about the look, because it follows the cut lines of the hatch - something I consider to be a flaw in most taillight designs. I prefer the aesthetic of lights that look integral to their own shape and draw attention away from body cuts - which is something of a lost art in modern automotive design. The full center garnish on the Gen. 1 OBs doesn't really fulfill that either, thus my ambivalence. I think I might like it better if it were more congruous with the body color. Might look even better with some JDM tails, as that would get rid of the amber lenses and reduce the 'chromatic clutter'.

One benefit you do lose is the safety of redundancy - when I got my car, it had no parking or brake lights working in the outer units, just the ones in the centerpiece. Luckily the turns still worked.

·
Registered
96 Legacy OBW, EJ22 swap, 2" suspension lift, 215/75r15, HIDs, 06 WRX interior swap
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya the JDM tails would spice it up a bit! That's a good thought but I'm more into spending that type of money for a new roof basket or something more functional.

My car is blue (hard to tell in the pic) and I did feel that having it actually paint matched would really add to the blended in look.

As far as safety goes I had my wife drive it while i followed behind her when I just had the inner bulbs pulled and between the outer and upper brake lights it is plenty bright/noticeable. Especially now that its blacked no one will be looking for brake lights there. At least that's how my theory goes... Haha

Thanks RobMarley! And yes, yes it is! I'm knew to it still but picking it up fast. No doubt It's a unique product

·
Registered
'00 Outback Limited Sedan 2.5l Auto, Black, '98 Kawi KLX351R, '99 HD XL1200Sport, '08 Suzuki VStrom
140 Posts
Definitely looks different! I think, I would color match it. I does cut down in the safety/rearend factor, since there is a reflector there and the delete of the extra bulbs, but the remaining is probably sufficient 99% of the time. I've been playing with the idea of creative/artistic use of the reflective black vinyl on my motorcycle. It looks black metallic until a light source hits it directly, then it turns brilliant white, like roadsigns! If you were to wrap it in that, wow! I think it could actually deter tailgaters!

I also really like the mid-wings, but the way Rammster (over at SL-I.net) modded his!

From here

to here!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts