Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is on my 2017 3.6 with 50k.

I changed it at 50k with subaru high torque cvt fluid and had an analysis done.

Factory fluid. I've overheated it many times. Towed with it. Off road, etc.

I imagine Subaru would tell me I fall under severe duty schedule.

0:)

Some numbers look high to me buy they say it being a factory fill I shouldn't worry.

Time will tell!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Nice! Now all we need is someone that swaps out the fluid at a similar mileage, but doesn't beat up on their poor outback the way you do, as a comparison.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Interesting. The additives and viscosity look similar to yours.

The aftermarket cooler could be the source of the copper. That makes sense.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would be interested to know who drew the fluid,(driver, or mechanic, or pro-shop) The equipment used to draw it, and where from the body of oil was the sample taken (top, middle, bottom)
TIA
db.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Me.

Used the container they supplied and scooped it half way through draining the pan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
WOW and thanks for this info! Your results are exactly why I plan on R&Ring the CVTF shortly when I hit 20k miles on my '18 3.6r. Where did you get your CVTF and how much did you use? Thanks!

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WOW and thanks for this info! Your results are exactly why I plan on R&Ring the CVTF shortly when I hit 20k miles on my '18 3.6r. Where did you get your CVTF and how much did you use? Thanks!
The Shop I used had a 5 gal bucket of the high torque CVT fluid.

I'm unsure how much we used since we pumped it in from said bucket.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,768 Posts
For reference, the correct fluid for the 3.6R CVT is Subaru HT-CVTF, part number SOA748V0200. I've yet to find anyone messing with aftermarket fluids. If you're looking to buy online, it's only available in 5 gallon pails, and availability at the moment seems to be scarce. Amazon has one in stock at $380, and I see a few sites with prices around $310 shipped, but they don't say if it's in stock. Other sites (including Subaru's parts site) say "no longer available", presumably due to the pause in operations (getting the same thing for the new HT CVTF-LV developed for the 2.4T CVT). Your best bet might be to check with local dealers - some folks have been able to buy smaller quantities that way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts