Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is on my 2017 3.6 with 50k.

I changed it at 50k with subaru high torque cvt fluid and had an analysis done.

Factory fluid. I've overheated it many times. Towed with it. Off road, etc.

I imagine Subaru would tell me I fall under severe duty schedule.

0:)

Some numbers look high to me buy they say it being a factory fill I shouldn't worry.

Time will tell!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Nice! Now all we need is someone that swaps out the fluid at a similar mileage, but doesn't beat up on their poor outback the way you do, as a comparison.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Interesting. The additives and viscosity look similar to yours.

The aftermarket cooler could be the source of the copper. That makes sense.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,349 Posts
nice, viscosities look really good!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would be interested to know who drew the fluid,(driver, or mechanic, or pro-shop) The equipment used to draw it, and where from the body of oil was the sample taken (top, middle, bottom)
TIA
db.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Me.

Used the container they supplied and scooped it half way through draining the pan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
WOW and thanks for this info! Your results are exactly why I plan on R&Ring the CVTF shortly when I hit 20k miles on my '18 3.6r. Where did you get your CVTF and how much did you use? Thanks!

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WOW and thanks for this info! Your results are exactly why I plan on R&Ring the CVTF shortly when I hit 20k miles on my '18 3.6r. Where did you get your CVTF and how much did you use? Thanks!
The Shop I used had a 5 gal bucket of the high torque CVT fluid.

I'm unsure how much we used since we pumped it in from said bucket.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,830 Posts
For reference, the correct fluid for the 3.6R CVT is Subaru HT-CVTF, part number SOA748V0200. I've yet to find anyone messing with aftermarket fluids. If you're looking to buy online, it's only available in 5 gallon pails, and availability at the moment seems to be scarce. Amazon has one in stock at $380, and I see a few sites with prices around $310 shipped, but they don't say if it's in stock. Other sites (including Subaru's parts site) say "no longer available", presumably due to the pause in operations (getting the same thing for the new HT CVTF-LV developed for the 2.4T CVT). Your best bet might be to check with local dealers - some folks have been able to buy smaller quantities that way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well we finally hit 27k miles on our '18 OB 3.6. Mostly high speed desert 100º+ temps with one 800mile tow (1600lbs) tow in the same heat and a bunch of Nevada's dirt highways. Never had any high temp warnings or issues. Local Subi dealer here in Henderson NV wanted $400ish. On my way home from a job in eastern WA I found a 5gal pale of CVT-HT in Pendleton OR (no tax or other enviro fees) for $399! They did ask if the service truck in the parking lot was mine?! Anyways, I followed the Subaru FSM to the tee whilst using my shops Autel MaxiSyS for the temps (used an IR thermo on the pan and cooler lines to see the difference from the TCM. It was pretty close +/- 10º). I went ahead and did the change again after 20 miles of test driving as I only drained out 1.8l on both drains. Second drain came out almost as clean as the new stuff I put in. Sent the first drain out for analysis and high copper continues to be the trend in my TR690 as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts