Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2008 OB XT Limited; 2002 Impreza 2.5TS
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've posted the Blackstone UOAs from my cars here, but here's something different.

I just bought a bunch of Wix UOAs from Amazon for less than $11 each.

I wanted to see how the Wix UOA would compare to the Blackstone UOAs, so I sent a sample from my last oil change to both. I took both samples at the same time, and even poured oil back and forth between the two containers so that each lab received the exact same oil.

The differences are large, but at least they're pretty consistent.

One surprise: I had understood that Blackstone's total base numbers (TBN) tended to be different, but their number is about the same as Wix's.

Regarding timing, it took Blackstone about 2 weeks to e-mail me my results, and it took Wix 3 weeks to send me the results by snail mail. Blackstone's website is better. Wix's website is buggy, and I haven't been able to access my results on-line at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
I think I like Blackstone's report better. Seems more information is explained there. I will be sending my first sample into Blackstone soon.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blackstone's service is definitely better, but you pay for it...

In any case, I like that Blackstone sends out the kits for free and only charges for the analysis (Wix charges for the kits, which include analysis). Blackstone is faster, and Blackstone's analysis is easier to make sense of (and lists "normal" parameters).

However, Blackstone's UOAs cost $25-30, whereas Wix is less than half that for comparable results.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
The oil in my grand prix is literally BURNED. I'd be interested to see what the Blackstone report would be on that, especially considering the oil has about 10 miles on it.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,325 Posts
You might want to do more work on editing out your personal info in that pdf.

Can read it just fine.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no fuel test from WIX, did I miss it?
Yeah, you're right... I'm not sure if that's a problem or not.

You might want to do more work on editing out your personal info in that pdf.
Yeah, I'm not too worried about it. My real name, address, and phone number aren't that hard to figure out, anyway...

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited/2.5L/CVT
390 Posts
Blackstone and Oil Analyzers Inc both do a good job. I prefer the latter because they include TBN testing at no extra charge. They also test for oxidation and nitration rather than just showing "total solids". The Ox/Nitr numbers provide insight into how well the engine is running and if the emission control system is functioning properly. Of course you have to understand how to interpret the raw data.

The TBN's measured by Blackstone tend to run lower than other labs. However they are consistent from test to test....

TS

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,537 Posts
Has anyone tried Polaris Labs? The information on their website would lead one to believe that they are a leader in the industry, with most of their business being industrial fluid analysis. They also offer the service of training others to start their own labs.

Just wondering. I do like the Blackstone lab reports.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited/2.5L/CVT
390 Posts
Oil Analyzers contracts out their testing to Polaris labs throughout the US. That's really who I was referring to.

TS

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Blackstone and Oil Analyzers Inc both do a good job. I prefer the latter because they include TBN testing at no extra charge. They also test for oxidation and nitration rather than just showing "total solids".
Just to be clear: Wix does include "total base number" (TBN) testing.

They don't do oxidation or nitration, but for $11.-, I'm not complaining...

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Honestly, I'm just more curious than anything else.

The disparity between Blackstone and Wix is relatively huge, but it's consistent, at least.

Without adding a third test, I can't even begin to judge which is more accurate.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just go really crazy and send off three voa's and three uoa's next time.
Really, I don't know why more people don't do comparisons of different analyses like this...

Anyway, I only did it because I still had one of my Blackstone "bulk" UOAs leftover, and the Wix tests are only $11, and I had bought five of them, so I was feeling extravagant.

·
Registered
'05 turbo Baja
108 Posts
Interesting comparison, Bimmer. Thanks for sharing.

Years ago, when I was farming, I used the Cleveland Technical lab in Portland for all my UOAs. They were bought by Staveley, which is now ALS (they keep the Staveley name), but they seem to still have most of the contract work with the oil and filter companies. They generally do a decent job, and while they don't try to wow you with a paragraph of prose, they also don't lead you astray with a paragraph of prose. ;)

If I didn't use Dyson, or if he shuts even his consumer business down, I'd return to CTC/Staveley/ALS in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
'05 turbo Baja
108 Posts
"Designed for synthetic oil"
LOL! :19:

Since Bosch bought Purolator a couple or few years ago, they've been messing with where what media, cans, etc. is used. The filter you linked to is at least gery similar to the Bosch Distance Plus, which are sold in many of the evil empire's stores. I do not claim they're the same filter, mind you. I just say they are very similar. I do not know for positive whether they're the same or not.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon LLBean 3.0R Automatic
974 Posts
… One surprise: I had understood that Blackstone's total base numbers (TBN) tended to be different, but their number is about the same as Wix's. ...
Very helpful!
was looking for TBN numbers on an XT and your report shows them. Thanks for funding my research :)

Reason I am curious was a report from another member with a TBN on 2.7, which seemed unusual to me.. but I have no XT experience.. your values reach the 7's and dont go below 4… good to know

great to see you have a history of multiple analyses

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,170 Posts
Change oil often with a good oil (Castrol, Valvoline etc) and take care of air filter maintenance etc, and there is no need for these Snake Oil reports for the normal car owner who doesn't have a fleet of high milegage rigs that a business depends on.

I can go get a cholesterol test for my DOGS too, but that is a waste of money too.

you guys who get these tests done, how long do you keep your cars for on avg in years.
I have to raise a stink.

I can tell my engine health everytime i change the oil, and am dumping the used oil out the hog pan into the funnel that goes into the jug, just by looking at the oil going into the funnel...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts