Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Red with Warm Ivory Leather
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you tell I am fed up? 2015 Outback 3.6 - only 18K miles - went out this morning to the garage (attached and warm) and it cranked and cranked but no fire then battery ran down. Plenty of gas. If this was an 'old timer' car I'd say fuel pump issue.
Had maintenance done about two weeks ago. The everything including the battery "tested" fine. I wonder what the hammer mechanics did this time.
So far I replaced a windshield, had dealer tell me brake pads were worn and needed replacement (with 18K miles? give me a break), and now this.
They supposedly did the fuel relay recall on the car two years ago.
My 2004 Highlander is still carrying my grandson around with 175K miles and no issues.
Subaru is going to have to do a LOT better to get my business again.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,192 Posts
plenty of "bigger better battery" type threads here. (swapping to something with more reserve capacity / CCA).

and threads about wrapping your fobs in foil to stop them from turning on dome lights from bumping into something while parked in a pocket/ purse/ on the counter. (or putting them in a foil lined box).

and I wonder what bunch of jackasses at ALL the car companies thought tossing mechanical keys was the best idea since sliced bread,...and then making it so those fobs could drain batteries.

if you like your 2004 highlander, maybe you should trade your 15 in for a 2001-2009 H6.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Red with Warm Ivory Leather
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure a battery swap would fix things ... It cranked for over 30 seconds and never fired. After the third try the battery started to 'sag' so I gave up and took my wife's car.
No electronics plugged in the car - I drove it yesterday, fob was in the house in my coat pocket all night. Lights were off.
When I get home I'll charge the battery, see if it will fire. If so it goes to dealer to get checked out tomorrow. If not then roadside service can come claim it and then they can fix it.
Too much success can spoil even the best of companies ... hope this isn't the case with Subaru.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,192 Posts
Too much success can spoil even the best of companies ... hope this isn't the case with Subaru.
if I were out to buy a 2015-2016.
I would bring my own battery. (no reason to leave that weak thing that the factory put in there for even one minute of ownership).

(...I don't sit and read the gen5 threads to see if 2017-18 people got something better...maybe subaru indiana got smart, maybe not).

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,148 Posts
Well, you did buy the first MY of a new generation, so somewhat more warranty/recall-related repairs is to be expected. You got new pads under warranty I presume? Ok, new pads at 18k is odd, but also not at all typical based on the past three years of posts in the Gen 5 forum - I have over 40k miles, still on the original pads, and my car is driven relatively aggressively, often under very congested city driving conditions. I'm not easy on the brakes and they still feel like new (although I expect they're going to need attention soon).

Now you have a starting issue. Ok, could be any number of things, some of which are easily corrected. You might find that after this repair, you're good to 100k+. Again, this is not at all typical based on anecdotal evidence from this forum. I can see why you're irritated, but why not wait for a diagnosis before coming to a conclusion on the overall quality of Subaru's vehicles? Sorry you've had more trouble than the average owner, but there is no perfect vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,239 Posts
Battery a normal wear and tear maintenance part with a easy solution.. Buy a good deep cell battery. Brake pad...usually driving habits but are still under warranty, if slightly out of the warranty period just contact SOA and they most likely take care of it.
At least this is a good place to let off steam, get it off your chest and get some perspective.
Life is Good!

If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium
189 Posts
18K and they said you need new pads? Something's amiss on that one. I've got 72K on mine and still within tolerance.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
549 Posts
Some car makers will give you warranty for brake pads only for first 12 months... after that it is considered normal wear and tear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts