Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember these? I imagine very few of these are on the road, or even still in one piece...

1978 Subaru wagon with 7000 miles

I found it while searching for my OBS online. It's for sale at a dealer in NH. They're asking $10K for it - how do you begin to value such a car, with nothing to compare it to?

If they had been asking more like $4-5K, I might have had to jump on it for the novelty of it :)

-Peter

(Sorry if this is a repost, pretty sure I already put this on i-club but not yet here)
 

·
Registered
Hers - 04 red/beige OBW 2.5, His- 2001 Impreza L Wagon For Sale & 65 Triumph TR4A
Joined
·
132 Posts
Are classic 70s Subie wagons becoming collectible? I would love an orginal G1 "outback".
 

·
Registered
Hers - 04 red/beige OBW 2.5, His- 2001 Impreza L Wagon For Sale & 65 Triumph TR4A
Joined
·
132 Posts
The GL looks exactly like the first Subie I ever knew. Red 4wd wagon. It had rims more like the Leone, then the famous "wagon wheels". I don't remember it having the bumper bar. No rust either. Of course that was around 78 or 79 so I was only 5 years old. Now I have a red OB. Influenced at an early age?

I don't like the Loyale and 1989 Legacy at all. THey are from what I call Subies "dorky" period. Did that ever end?
 

·
Registered
1998 2.5L SOHC Subaru Legacy Outback
Joined
·
111 Posts
the ones made specifically for road driving were verrrry dorky, but Ive seen a few up at the pass that are more like the outback and its raised like a foot or so with all the goods. I think those were the loyale GLs, so those are to loyale as outback is to legacy

loyale GL:Loyale=outback:legacy

hey, did sube share some of their plans with datsun because the old GLs look just like my moms 1972 dat 510
 

·
Registered
Hers - 04 red/beige OBW 2.5, His- 2001 Impreza L Wagon For Sale & 65 Triumph TR4A
Joined
·
132 Posts
Most Japanese cars from the mid 70s look that way. The suppliers for a lot of goods were the same. I remember my parents buying cars in the late 70s and early 80s. I loved to be at the car dealers. All the Hondas, Toyotas, Datsuns, and Subarus we looked at had the same door handles inside and out, and well as some other bits.

My parents bought 5 Datsuns in a row, until their first Acura in 1988. I could never sell them on Subies. They were too slow for my dad (they couldn't drive stick). Subies were always a bit different with the 4wd and the horizontally opposed engine.

Funny looking at these 70s Jap cars - why on earth did the grill lean forward like it as going to eat the bumper? And they always had two round headlights pushed to the edge of the car. Toyota and Honda went from 70s ugly 90s bland, Subaru still has somewhat of their own look.

How much of that GL do you think is bondo?
 

·
Registered
1999 Legacy Outback M/T EJ25
Joined
·
96 Posts
Subarite said:
Most Japanese cars from the mid 70s look that way. The suppliers for a lot of goods were the same.
Even Recently, I noticed that the turn signal, cruise control and headlight stalks are the exact same parts between my 99 outback and my friend's 96 camry. I wouldn't be suprised if the similarities didn't end there...
 

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd 5MT Champagne
Joined
·
2,715 Posts
therevengingo said:


Even Recently, I noticed that the turn signal, cruise control and headlight stalks are the exact same parts between my 99 outback and my friend's 96 camry. I wouldn't be suprised if the similarities didn't end there...
A lot of those controls and switches are sourced from third party vendors.
 

·
Registered
Hers - 04 red/beige OBW 2.5, His- 2001 Impreza L Wagon For Sale & 65 Triumph TR4A
Joined
·
132 Posts
I think it helps keep costs down and quality up. I mean, does it really bother you if the turn signal stalk is the same between a Toyota or Subaru? Does it do its job correctly? Its not a part that needs to look great.

However, Mopar has a parts mess on their hands. Even parts that can be shared between cars are different. We stock at my dealer multifunction switches for several models. They are all different parts for different models. Increases costs and IMHO lowers quality.
 

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd 5MT Champagne
Joined
·
2,715 Posts
Subarite said:
I think it helps keep costs down and quality up. I mean, does it really bother you if the turn signal stalk is the same between a Toyota or Subaru? Does it do its job correctly? Its not a part that needs to look great.

However, Mopar has a parts mess on their hands. Even parts that can be shared between cars are different. We stock at my dealer multifunction switches for several models. They are all different parts for different models. Increases costs and IMHO lowers quality.
I think it's great that Toyota and Subaru switches and stalks are the same. TOyota is know for the quality of those parts.
 

·
Registered
Hers - 04 red/beige OBW 2.5, His- 2001 Impreza L Wagon For Sale & 65 Triumph TR4A
Joined
·
132 Posts
Frojo said:


what is bondo?

Rust stuffing! It is a filler that replaces damaged or rusted body panels in cars. It is not a structural element. Buying a car with too much bondo in the wrong places can be a costly mistake. (ask Triumph Club members).

If you suspect bondo, use a magnet over portions of the body and frame. Bondo is not magnetic.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top