Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

I've a 1997 that needs the brakes bleeding, a friend who thought he was helping removed all four callipers and let most of the brake fluid drain out. This 97 obw is not obd2 equipped, otherwise I'd be using freeSSM to put abs controller in service mode. Without towing to a dealer, how do I bleed abs controller? I have a vag-com cable and a obd2 to ssmi adapter cable, but can't find any software that's going to work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
You could always do it the old fashioned way- bleed it, drive it, trigger the ABS with a hard stop, then re-bleed.

Easier than a tow, anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've no registration tags and my drive way is so steep, working brakes are a must, so the old fashioned method is out sadly. No one has solved the abs bleed issue? Will joining the green diagnostic connectors help?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Unless the '97 is wildly different from other years, I think you may be overestimating the scope of the problem.

I replaced the rubber brake hoses on my '06 last year. This allowed quite a lot of the fluid to drain out, and a fair bit of air in. Not so different from your drained state. I did a 'normal' bleed. Then I drove it, triggered ABS, and went to bleed again. I got exactly one bubble out in the 2nd session, and at no time did the pedal feel soft or compromised.

I did a basic bleed on my '98 years ago, didn't bother cycling the ABS, was fine.

They are your brakes, your responsibility.... Do what feels safe.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
If I were you I would get a hand vacuum pump and pull two large bottles though the system. The pumps are cheap. I would drive it after one bottle and try to trigger the abs. Just go slow at first and be ready to tug the e-brake.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Don't forget if you are going to be ready with the e-brake, make sure it is adjusted as well. At least that is all mechanical and easy to adjust up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
twagoon
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing