Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i, 2009 Forrester 2.5 sohc
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the brake fluid on my 2008 Outback. Then thought I would change the fluid in the clutch system. I learned its very easy to get air into the clutch system. I tried at first using the one person bleeder I use for brakes. Air must have gotten in, and I lost all hydraulic power. Then got my daughter to help and did it old way of one person pumping slowly, open the bleeder on the way down, close bleeder , release pedal. I was able to get the air out, and the clutch works fine.

Anyone else find this happens?

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
5,192 Posts
I just replaced my stock clutch hose with a stainless aftermarket unit. I had the benefit of having my engine out at the same time, so it was easier to work on than what you had to work with.

In my case, I replaced the hose > filled up with fluid > attached bleeding hose to nipple (with a catch bottle) > loosened bleed nipple while manually compressing the piston > tightened the nipple and then released the piston. I cycled through until I had nothing but fresh fluid with no air-bubbles. I had to fill with fluid several times.

Note: You need to not overfill the system with fluid. As the clutch is depressed, the fluid level rises.

In your case, it sounds like you had either a big bubble that moved down or a leak. I had no issues in my case and I'm not exactly a pro at bleeding hydraulics. I take it that the clutch would not dis-engage?

·
Registered
2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 148K
420 Posts
In a pinch, you can often gravity bleed a clutch system. Just top off the master, crack the bleeder on the slave and let it drip. Close it up, top off the master, check the pedal. Repeat a couple of times if necessary to get a good pedal feel.

It's not as efficient as other methods but sometimes you get stuck, with no helper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m having the issue of I had my clutch replaced a year ago and the other day the clutch just went to the floor& will not pump up. I replaced both master & slave cylinder, clutch pedal still will not pump up. When you push the clutch in you then have to manually pull it back up. Please anybody!!!!!

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
1,069 Posts
I'm not sure but like a Brake MC do you have to bench bleed it before installing it ?

The instructions comes with the new MC ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts