Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to drive 150mi on my OB spare tire today. Had a blowout on I-70 just after Glenwood canyon. Fun!

I will definitely need a new tire. I have 12,000 miles on my OEM Contis. I'm thinking that replacing just the one tire is ok with only 12k of wear on the other three. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2018 3.6R limited w/eyesight Subaru Outback....sold my 2011, Subaru Outback, 2,5i Spt Pack.
159 Posts
I too blew a tire (hitting a curb and tore the sidewall) as well on my contis but at 70000 km. I had to change all 4 tires intead. Boo......
You might be able to get a way with one tire since you're quite low in mileage...however, you need to check the tread depth and the tolerance required from the manual. Good luck.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
New tire needs to be roughly within 2/32nds of existing tires. So if your existing tires are less than 9/32nds your options are:

Get 4 new tires for 600 to 800 depending on what you get.

Get one new conti and have it shaved down. Costs about 200 including the shaving fee. Tire Rack, Euro Tire plus others do it. It does seem a shame to buy a new tire for that much than pay extra to have some of it's life shaved off.

Buy a used conti pro to match your other 3. Lots of used tire places on the web. Just do a search. Also a lot on ebay. Should cost less than 100 including shipping. I bought a used conti pro with 6/32nds tread left for less than 60 shipped.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
What led to the blowout?
The tire warranty should cover the cost of a new tire, less the wear..forget the name of the adjusted warranty. I vote getting a new tire under warranty and getting it shaved.
Ah just remembered, prorated.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New tire needs to be roughly within 2/32nds of existing tires. So if your existing tires are less than 9/32nds your options are

I doubt these tires have that much wear. I'll have to have them checked, I don't own a tire wear gauge. I think the most you can measure with a penny is 6/32nds up to the base of the Lincoln memorial, unless you have a reference that is better.

What led to the blowout?
I think it was a screw or nail. There is a pretty good sized hole in the center of the tread which appears to be the original insult.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
no need to buy all 4. get a used one or have a new one shaved down.

call all the local shops.

champ tire (online used tire dealer)
bordertire.com (may no longer be available)
ebay

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,129 Posts
no need to buy all 4. get a used one or have a new one shaved down.

call all the local shops.

champ tire (online used tire dealer)
bordertire.com (may no longer be available)
ebay
I agree. I had a sidewall nail at 20,000 miles, and I opted for all four, but I was really on the fence about it. In the end, I decided I wanted better tires. Had it been closer to 10,000 miles, I would certainly have bought just one and had it shaved, if necessary.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium 6MT
546 Posts
I doubt these tires have that much wear. I'll have to have them checked, I don't own a tire wear gauge. I think the most you can measure with a penny is 6/32nds up to the base of the Lincoln memorial, unless you have a reference that is better.

I think it was a screw or nail. There is a pretty good sized hole in the center of the tread which appears to be the original insult.
I doubt after 12k that there is enough wear to matter - unless you drive it like you stole it.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
I'll have to have them checked, I don't own a tire wear gauge.
You should be able to check this without leaving home. Everyone has to have a ruler around that can measure this. Just stick any coin into the tread and find a reference point on that coin that indicates the tread depth. Pull it out and measure that with your ruler. Or a tire depth gage is less than $5 at Walmart or any similiar store. Based on posts on the forum about conti pro tire life you should be at about 2/32nds wear or slightly more wear at 12k. Of course there are a lot of variables here.
Here is a tireRack article on how to measure with a coin and some common reference points on the coin and their depth from the edge: Tire Tech Information - Measuring Tire Tread Depth with a Coin

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys.

I totally lucked out. My dealer happened to have a used Conti with just about the exact same amout of wear as my other 3 tires. Cost less than $100. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts