Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The blower fan in my 05 OBW Limited just started making a horrible loud droning noise at high speed. Worse than leaves. And when on defrost it smells bad. Any thoughts?? Gonna look up how hard it is to pull. Maybe something stuck in there but it is normal on low speeds.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Any chance you have ICE in there? My Mother inlaw started having major ice issues in the fan housing in her old Ford last winter. It actually would not melt she had ice in there for over a week made getting the car windows cleared up for work a major issue. Eventually the fan failed and I had to find a local shop that would install a junk yard fan for her.

The old Taurus is a heap but keeps going. She really can't afford a new car I fully expect the wife and another family member to chip in for a new ride in the next year or so.

I had her drive the new Impreza sedan last month when she was visiting. Thinking we might find one used for a pretty good price. Seemed to fit her well and she liked it. It would also fit in the very small single car garage she has at her condo getting the car in out of the ice and snow which would be a major plus!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem solved-- It was a mouse. Stupid thing somehow got inside the fan and died with a leg sticking out. That would account for the sound when the fan was on high speed AND the bad smell. Now if I could figure how he got in there and not have a repeat. Looking online now to see about changing cabin air filter as long as I am already in there.

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
Problem solved-- It was a mouse. Stupid thing somehow got inside the fan and died with a leg sticking out. That would account for the sound when the fan was on high speed AND the bad smell. Now if I could figure how he got in there and not have a repeat. Looking online now to see about changing cabin air filter as long as I am already in there.

so, it was a squeaking noise?

jk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
cardoc
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing