Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Outback H6 35th Anniversary Ed
3 Posts
Pry bar works, too

I was having the same problem with the wiring bundle, so glad to find your solution. I was unable to loosen the wiring bundle, however. The 6mm bolt holding it in place was just impossible to reach with either a ratchet wrench (w/extension) or needle-nose pliers -- so I gave up on that idea. Instead of using a putty knife, I used a small pry bar to press the wire bundle flat, both during removal and when I replaced it. I found the pry bar was stiffer and also longer, enabling me to press down more firmly on the wires.

My reason for removing the blower was because I thought there was a rodent nest inside causing a bad rattling sound. (I literally skidded to a stop and jumped out of my car when the noise first started because at first I thought there was a rattlesnake in the passenger compartment!!) However, there was no nesting material inside (or snake). I tested the blower before I put it back into the housing (just temporarily reattached the plug), and the noise had stopped. So now I'm puzzled but keeping fingers crossed that the noise doesn't return. I'm not crazy about going through that whole project again -- my neck is stiff from the crazy upside-down position I was in! But at least now I know how to do it. (I had removed a blower before in an '04 Forester, but the process is somewhat different for the Outback.)

If anyone has ideas about the elusive rattling sounds, please let me know! I know it had/has something to do with the blower because it only happened when the blower was on. And the sound was coming from exactly that area.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.