Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
09 Legacy GT, 08 Legacy 2.5i, 09 Outback 2.5i
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how common is it to have a totally blown/failed outer CV joint. My son called on his way home from work and said his 09 OB was making horrible clacking noises and that it looked like something fell out the bottom of the car. He made it home and it was making clanking noises coming up the street. Park no worky. Start car and put in reverse w/o moving and right front axleshaft spins and clanks. Is this common? I guess we will be heading out to the u-pull-it sometime this week.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,476 Posts
No, but this usually happens after months and months of lost/torn boot and the grease has escaped. You likely stripped the teeth off the outer shaft, so no park and no movement makes sense.

Try to stick to OE "green cup" axles when junkyard hunting. I'd also recommend you replace the boots before installation to prevent this issue in the future.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 3.0R L.L. Bean
47 Posts
The boots are located near the exhaust and wear down quickly. Make sure he keeps an eye out in the future every 3 months for torn cv boots. As long as the boots are replaced before all the grease is gone, it should be okay.

Once a boot is torn, you’ll have a few months before the axle is bad. I can tell early on the boot is torn because of all of the sticky grease hitting the exhaust. That boot in the photo was demolished!

Remanufactured axles are a little sketchy sometimes since tolerances can be off. That’s why people prefer the original used ones. I got a remanufactured axle and got lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,161 Posts
It happens. It is not "common" but it does happen.
It happened to my cousin in a diesel Golf.
I recently saw a Matt's Offroad Recovery video where a 4x4 Taco blew out a front joint and got stuck because the truck became 2WD.
As mentioned, it is uncommon for it to happen without warning/indication. That warning being torn boots, slung grease, clacking joint noise especially in powered turns. As it turns out, the operator ignored these warnings for a while.

Had your son not been driving an AWD vehicle, he would have needed a tow.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, thankful that the car got him home after that. We had looked at the boot probably a few weeks back when we rotated the wheels. He did mention a slight click several days ago but said it was not bad. Likely a spirited acceleration around a 90 corner is what triggered it to grenade.

The local u-pull place has an 09 OB we will check to see if the shaft is present and workable. If not, the regular salvage yard is right next door. We've purchased several axle shafts from them for this car (not the one failed) and they are <$40 so pretty cheap actually.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We took apart the axle-shaft yesterday. Replacement is on the way and will pick up on Monday. Pic here of the joint before any cleaning. All the balls are gone and only half of the carrier is left. The inner edges of the center star race shows signs of extreme pressure/wear on the inner edges - likely where it got to the point that it blasted itself apart.

I took pictures of the take apart process but I am unsure if it I should put up a sequence as a simple how-to on this replacement procedure. Are there any how-tos already on front axles-shaft replacement?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts