Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My head gaskets are blown so bad they let coolant into the oil and made sludge.. they are getting changed now and the engine is getting cleaned fairly well.. I am still planning on taking precautions to clean it out where we can’t see. I was planning on running some oil for like 200 miles and then running some flush and changing it. What do you guys think??

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
It certainly won't hurt any worse, but for perspective the engine has already run (some number of) miles with (something other than clean motor oil) circulating through the bearings. The worst things sludge was ever going to do to that engine have already happened. You can eliminate the last few bits for the price of an oil change.

Something something barn door something horse already home.

·
Registered
2001 Forester, 1995 Legacy outback with 360k! Newish 2015 Outback!
14 Posts
Flush it until it is clean for the best chance of survival. I usually use transmission fluid after the repair. 1 qt per 2qts engine oil. Run it to operating temp and drain and replace filter. Do it a second time after that. Then fill with engine oil and new filter. After that do a couple short change intervals like you are planning. Hopefully you should be good. No guarantees. But get as much garbage out of the system as possible. You can't over do the flush here. Good luck :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At least the oil didn’t look milky or anything like that yet haha. I just know it was new because I changed the valve covers last year and it was spotless under them then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts