Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2001 OBW H-6 VDC
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The day after i installed blue LED fog lamps, got pulled ofer by a local cop who proceded to tell me that it is illegal. I asked if yellow was legal and he told me white only. I have already lost track of the number of vehicles i have seen with fog lights that are not just plain old white. The ticket is not a "fix-it ticket" according to the cop yet friends have told me to replace them with HID that are a lil blue and plead my case.....might get dropped, might not.....any info you guys could give would be appretiated

Jenks

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
wow that is surprising. were you doing drifting or doing burn outs too?! LOL

it's rare to drive somewhere without seeing lights you'd bet a lot of money are illegal...blinding, different colors...i figured those were "blue laws" that aren't enforced any more with how much we see them on the roads and online.

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
340 Posts
Look up the law, just because a cop says it's the law doesn't mean it's true

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
340 Posts
it's not his word that bothers me...it's the ticket he gave me.
A ticket does not mean it's the law either.

I received a ticket for "Not having a valid Discovery Pass displayed"

The ticket was placed under my windshield wiper less then 4 inches away from where my valid Discovery parking pass was sitting on the dash clearly visible.

I fought it and won.

Like I said, look up the actual law

You might find it specifically mentions some light output and you could be within those

·
Registered
2001 OBW H-6 VDC
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just looked up the law on nys dmv website.....unless i go out and volunteer to be a firemen or EMT right quick, it's up to the judge on the day to dismiss it or not. I plan to replace them with legal lights and hope that it gets dismissed. My court date is on valentines day! I hope its a good day for the judge!

Fingers crossed -Jenks

p.s: should i bring a heart shaped box of chocolate for the judge? ;)

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
ACtually any blue non directional ie flood type light I recall being illegal in nearly all states. Rally lights are short range flood lights - the blue bulb ie harsh non directional lighting is shown to be a major issue for night vision and I recall nearly every state has banned them. Enforcement on the other hand is subjective.

As for use in foggy or heavy rain conditions all your doing is wiping out your night vision and creating lots of harsh reflected light back at you reducing your own range of vision.

·
Registered
2001 OBW H-6 VDC
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't notice any adverse sight problems while driving at night or in the rain/snow. Sight actually seemed better in the snow. Newer halagen, xenon, and HID headlights depending on temp have a blue tint to a bright blue hue and they are all over the road. The lights i bought were LED's, that are nowhere near as bright as any other lights....but they are as blue at the mediterranean on a sunny day and thats where unless i'm an emergency responder on a call I can't use them.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Only light that reduces reflected light impacting night vision and foul weather fog and rain is narrow pointed beam lighting. BMW is actually working on laser lighting system designed for fog use predicted to be the best lighting for foul weather of any current lighting system in use.

The lenses on the rally lights under the bumper are not set up for narrow beam lighting - they are intentionally designed for broad flood lighting with short range so my simple reflector design the lights have and do reflect lots of light back at the driver off fog and heavy rain. The intended function of the short range flood lighting is to fill the gap between the front bumper and where the longer range more pointed beam low beam lights land. The floods are also intended to light more of the shoulder of the road between the front of the car and where the low beam primaries land.

Yes in foggy and heavy rain they by basic flood light design and known physics of lighting systems impact your range of sight. You can think all you want but unless you replaced the flood type reflector housing and installed narrow beam housings your vision in fog and heavy rain is actually reduced.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
A truly blue colored light is supposed to be illegal in pretty much every state because that's the color reserved for police emergency lights. Some states augment that with limitations on red lighting to prevent people from running rotating or strobe lights in the color red, to distinguish emergency vehicles in general. I've never heard of any state that says you can't have any color other than 'white'. Sounds to me like a cop didn't like your 'blue' fogs as obnoxious (and they may be too blue, and may be obnoxious), and decided to tell you it was 'only white' so you'd just give up and put stock bulbs back in. Yellow or amber fogs should be legal in most states. I would definitely be reading the exact letter of the law, and you might want to bring it printed out when you go to court.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
The harsh blue lighting you see with cheap HID lighting has been proven to impact drivers night vision in several studies. So beyond the actual Emergency vehicle lighting only with blue lights law - you can be hit with running illegal lighting based on many states banning the harsh HID blue light special bulbs you often see people running.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
Do the lights have an official DOT approval? If so you can fight it. Aftermarket lights are tricky and like tint you're occasionally at the mercy of local law enforcement with regards their interpretation.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts

Aside from state laws, the Laws Of Fizziks say that
blue is the absolute worst possible color choice for
fog/rain/snow -- because it maximizes back-scatter.

Yellow tint gives the best fog visibility -- but it has
pretty much disappeared from common use (after
France caved-in and adopted EU lighting standards).

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,935 Posts
Blue in NYS is verboten because it is the color designated to responding volunteer firemen.

I was a NYS inspector a while back, I think yellow is kosher.

Forwards must be yellow (turnsigs) or white, to the rear red except for turnsigs if amber, and white for backup.

In my opinion, if it's not yellow it's not a fog light, it's a critter finder.

·
Registered
2001 OBW H-6 VDC
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The lights I bought had more characters on then a chinese resturaunt menu. Deff not DOT approved. Looks like I'm in the market for some yellow fogs!

Thanks for all your help guys
-Jenks

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon
202 Posts
I will agree with those on here that blue light is an awful color for poor visibility situations. The small droplets in the air (fog) more easily scatter short wavelength light (blue-voilet).

The blue you're seeing from modern Xenon systems are prism effects of the convex lens on the projector. Nearly all OEM applications of HID lighting are a color temp of ~4300K (white light & peak output). Any other color temperatures are also outside of the bounds of the laws you have now become familiar with.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'd say hope that the judge reduces the ticket to something less expensive, otherwise look at it as a lesson learned the hard way.

In a way I'm actually sort of glad there are officers enforcing this now. A lot of cars with ridiculous blue HID (reflector housing and projector) headlights need to be taken off the road. Blinding other drivers is not cool. (Not the case with you, just ranting!)

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I'd say hope that the judge reduces the ticket to something less expensive, otherwise look at it as a lesson learned the hard way.

In a way I'm actually sort of glad there are officers enforcing this now. A lot of cars with ridiculous blue HID (reflector housing and projector) headlights need to be taken off the road. Blinding other drivers is not cool. (Not the case with you, just ranting!)
In CA the latest thing is to drive around after dusk with nothing but rally style lights turned on. Which case said driver deserves to have a big rig drive right over them and claim he never saw em. LOL Can't fix stupid

1 - 20 of 22 Posts