Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a newbie here I am not sure this is the correct forum to post this. Please forgive me if not...

I just purchased a 2013 Outback Limited (w/o Nav). I LOVE the car. However, I am having issues with the Bluetooth interface. I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3. I have paired the phone successfully, get calls etc. The issue I have is when I have the radio on another band ( xm for example) I can't get the Google navigation commands to be broadcasted over the radio using Bluetooth. I get calls this way, no problem. The only way I can hear the Google nav commands are if I have the radio in BT/Audio mode. Of course, then I can't listen to XM when I am using Google Nav. Is there a setting? Am I missing something? Or is this just a lame implementation of Bluetooth on the car. I already know you can't upload my phone book to the unit (GRRRRR). Other than this I really Love the car.

·
Registered
474 Posts
That's an unfortunate byproduct of using phone navigation in an Outback. I've been unsuccessful. I've decided to just turn BT off when I need to use navigation. On road trips I have a portable GPS that I use instead.

·
Registered
557 Posts
my only other experience with a bluetooth enabled head unit is with an aftermarket kenwood KDC-X994.

i have a '12 premium with the HK headunit in the outback.

they both work similarly in that if i wanted to hear turn-by-turn nav over the speaker i would have to have the headunits in bluetooth mode.

it wasn't a big deal because i was 99% streaming music from my phone, droidx, over bluetooth anyway.

the apps i use/d: pandora, tunein and rarely iheartradio.

i have my wife's iphone4 now and use the mapquest.app because it has voice guidance, although i don't really care for it-lol.

joel

[edit] to add... when i would listen to the radio and was using my phone for nav the voice would come from the phone's speaker.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Yep, Google Nav only works when the car is on BT audio. There is one work around for XM. If you pay extra for online streaming, you can use the XM app at the same time as Google Nav. The music will pause just like the audio player does. I actually think the audio is better.

There are two drawbacks, added cost and it only works in cell service area (can also use your data allowance if you have one).

Of course you could always disconnect the bluetooth when you are running Nav too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
Novablue
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing