Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT and 05 Outback 3.0R
188 Posts
I realize this is pretty old and all the solutions are out there already, but.. :) I installed the Leptronix aux-in kit a few days ago and bought an iClever himbox bluetooth adapter. Plugs into the aux-in and the 12v outlet inside the arm rest cubicle, the phone connects to it automatically. Works great, sounds great, pretty easy to install!
How much was everything? The kit I installed also connect the phone automatically. Since my car doesn't have aux-in, I think it's the best bang for the money. Can't go wrong at $79.

·
Registered
2006 Outback LL Bean 3.0R 5EAT
90 Posts
I got the iSimple AUX adapter installed with a 2A charger routed up to the driver side window for my HTC M8 and it has been working great! No Bluetooth, but it sounds almost as good as the CD sound. With a Bluetooth earpiece connected, I can get music and navigation at the same time, and when you get a call it all goes silent. Works great for my application and it only cost 22 bucks.

Reactions: rasterman

·
Registered
2009 XT Limited, 2004 H6 Outback (gone to pasture)
5 Posts
I got GROM'd

My case only partially relates to the OP, as I have the.'09 h-k stereo. But what the heck, I searched for info and didn't find a comprehensive review of the GROM, so maybe I can help somebody else out.
I had just picked up an '09 OBXT, and I drive lot for work and needed a hands-free phone solution, not to mention more sources of music. I decided GROM may be what would work best for me.
First, the USB version I got has two firmware versions: satellite and CD changer. The CD version might be an option for pre-'07 cars? I dunno.
I found a great deal on the usb and Bluetooth dongle on amazon. The hardest part of the install was placing the mic, and even that wasn't all that hard. I put the usb cable next to the aux in the center console.
As far as performance, I'll say it's... glitchy. It paired up fine with my droid, but the microphone gain was so low that I couldn't be heard even though I shouted into the mic from a distance of 8". I emailed support, and got a fast and courteous reply. They asked what firmware, what vehicle, and what the numbers were on both the unit and the dongle. They also asked i be sure the mic cord was inserted correctly. So I had to yank the radio again, and took pix to send. We then went through several firmware upgrades, the last of which I'd guess was done just for my issue. Finally, people could hear me!
Still, there are glitches. The unit doesn't get recognized every time, so I have to restart the car to use the unit. The GROM aalinq player actually isn't that bad, and you can use any player you already use as well. You can use whatever equalizer your phone has. There isn't any way to match input gain between Bluetooth & usb, so you have to be ready to hit the volume control. When advancing to the next song, you occasionally get a burst of static/white noise with both usb and Bluetooth sources. Text announcements and other noises from the phone only sound when in Bluetooth mode. The display doesn't use two lines like it does with a CD. You don't have a choice of "album" on the text readout. When you make a call, the readout just says "outgoing" but when someone calls you it only displays the number, even if you have a name linked to the number. The controls for random, repeat (seriously, who even uses that? Trying to drive yourself insane, are you?), and folder advance are re-mapped to the station preset buttons. The random function starts over and plays the exact same sequence every time the car restarts. The steering wheel controls have full functionality, including answering calls and hanging up. The usb works best with 8gb or smaller sticks. Sound quality is only slightly different that regular CDs.
So overall, I have what I need: phone, usb, stock radio. And I'm sure good ongoing tech support and future firmware updates. Does it have the features the $99 JVC in my other car has? Not.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How much was everything? The kit I installed also connect the phone automatically. Since my car doesn't have aux-in, I think it's the best bang for the money. Can't go wrong at $79.
A little bit more - the leptronix unit is 100CAD shipped (about 76USD currently) and the iClever bluetooth receiver is $29.99 on Amazon. There are other bluetooth receivers for less, but the iClever had great reviews so I went for that :)

·
Registered
2005 Legacy 2.5i Wagon 4EAT; 2005 Forester XS 4EAT
672 Posts
My case only partially relates to the OP, as I have the.'09 h-k stereo. But what the heck, I searched for info and didn't find a comprehensive review of the GROM, so maybe I can help somebody else out.
I had just picked up an '09 OBXT, and I drive lot for work and needed a hands-free phone solution, not to mention more sources of music. I decided GROM may be what would work best for me.
First, the USB version I got has two firmware versions: satellite and CD changer. The CD version might be an option for pre-'07 cars? I dunno.
I found a great deal on the usb and Bluetooth dongle on amazon. The hardest part of the install was placing the mic, and even that wasn't all that hard. I put the usb cable next to the aux in the center console.
As far as performance, I'll say it's... glitchy. It paired up fine with my droid, but the microphone gain was so low that I couldn't be heard even though I shouted into the mic from a distance of 8". I emailed support, and got a fast and courteous reply. They asked what firmware, what vehicle, and what the numbers were on both the unit and the dongle. They also asked i be sure the mic cord was inserted correctly. So I had to yank the radio again, and took pix to send. We then went through several firmware upgrades, the last of which I'd guess was done just for my issue. Finally, people could hear me!
Still, there are glitches. The unit doesn't get recognized every time, so I have to restart the car to use the unit. The GROM aalinq player actually isn't that bad, and you can use any player you already use as well. You can use whatever equalizer your phone has. There isn't any way to match input gain between Bluetooth & usb, so you have to be ready to hit the volume control. When advancing to the next song, you occasionally get a burst of static/white noise with both usb and Bluetooth sources. Text announcements and other noises from the phone only sound when in Bluetooth mode. The display doesn't use two lines like it does with a CD. You don't have a choice of "album" on the text readout. When you make a call, the readout just says "outgoing" but when someone calls you it only displays the number, even if you have a name linked to the number. The controls for random, repeat (seriously, who even uses that? Trying to drive yourself insane, are you?), and folder advance are re-mapped to the station preset buttons. The random function starts over and plays the exact same sequence every time the car restarts. The steering wheel controls have full functionality, including answering calls and hanging up. The usb works best with 8gb or smaller sticks. Sound quality is only slightly different that regular CDs.
So overall, I have what I need: phone, usb, stock radio. And I'm sure good ongoing tech support and future firmware updates. Does it have the features the $99 JVC in my other car has? Not.
Wait a minute... when did GROM start supporting the 6-disc head units? I emailed them asking about it, and they told me they weren't supported.

I'm using a GROM kit in my '05 with an '07 head unit. I haven't really had any call quality issues, but the part of it not always being recognized on startup is a pain when it happens. It's a problem with either the firmware or the head unit, as I had this same unit (literally - change firmware and buy appropriate cable) in my '05 Passat, and I never had the problem. Mine is plugged into the satellite connection of the head unit.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon LLBean 3.0R Automatic
819 Posts
I purchased the kit and the antenna on ebay. The link for the antenna is correct. The neat thing is I can press and hold the green button for 3 second and tell Siri to play music, call, text, etc..
I decided not to go bluetooth, was considering Aux in, and while searching found this Crutchfield endorsed (at twice the price) lighting adapter input that fits my iPhone:

"You can listen to your Apple device through your car stereo simply by connecting the TranzIt LINK's Lightning connector cable to your iPod, iPhone, or iPad. The cable connects to the main modulator box which you've placed out of sight. You can enjoy your favorite music on the go and keep your newer Apple device charged as you drive. You'll be able to enjoy your favorite music apps and turn-by-turn navigation directions from the Apple device through your car's speakers, too."

Since I always use a Proclip dock with lightning cable, this might end up being the best option for me

iSimple IS7705 Tranzit LINK iPhone lightning power and audio FM adapter

Antenna adapters

Results:

Today with the help of a friend with a screwdriver, we installed Tranzit Link and I am very happy to report IT WORKS!

We followed these instructions to get the stereo pulled out of the way

Now when I dock my iPhone to my Proclip, it automatically plugs in the lightning connector that both charges my iPhone and outputs music and navigation to my stereo.

It works perfectly, both music and navigation cooperate, and all the steering wheel controls also work. Since I NEVER listen to radio nor CD, I just keep Tranzit link tuned to the station it uses.

There is no FM audio interference. I am very impressed and highly recommend the system for cars with integrated digital climate control stereos. It does not provide USB connectivity, nor bluetooth, nor Aux input, none of which are needed to accomplish my 2 goals, charging and sound output..

Im very excited about this, took me a long time to understand my choices. Highly Recommended.

special thanks to @Tin Nguyen for sharing his success, that encouraged me to abandon my prejudice against FM adapters.

the guts

the goal

and the Glory!

No more usb wire plugged into a cigarette lighter adapter in my ashtray. No more listening to my navigation through the iPhone speaker, now I get iPhone audio through the car speakers.. a dream come true!

the only thing the Tranzit kit lacks is a blue splice connector for the power wire, and a ring connector for a ground wire. Tools were, flathead, phillips, pliers and wire crimper..

oh, the antenna wire adapters were a perfect match for the Tranzit system to work in my Subaru, be sure to get those.

Siri works normally, by pressing the home button

the advantages of Tranzit Link over Bluetooth is the link charges the phone at the same time it connects audio. Also, bluetooth has a habit of going to sleep if music is paused, so then navigation commands dont work, cause they happen faster than bluetooth can wake up.

For navigation without music, bluetooth fails. Aux in works to provide audio without music, but it does not charge, so again Tranzit Link is cleaner, only 1 wire to connect for 2 functions..

no, I dont get paid to shill for them.. just a happy consumer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the update on this! I'll definitely go in this direction as well; I'm getting real sick of my cd player and my current FM transmitter is on the 'c-squad' compared to this mod. I can't imagine the install will be too entirely different on my 05 vs your 06...

Did you purchase your's off of Ebay?

·
Registered
2009 Audi A4 Avant 2.0T
8 Posts
Hey there - I just installed the latest iTranzit Bluetooth for my 2006 OTB XT. Thanks to all the assistance on these forums, the installation process was painless and I had it all done in under an hour or so. I haven't had any trouble connecting to it using the blutooth on my iPhone 6S either. The only downside is the scratchy playback. I'm not sure if it's due to radio frequency saturation in the San Franciso bay area or not. I'm not too pleased though, looking to take it all out and return it.
Anyone else having similar issues? Any ideas for a fix?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
819 Posts
The only downside is the scratchy playback.
Anyone else having similar issues?
no scratchy here, I use TranzitLink in SFbay, on FM 87.9

not sure if your TranzitBlue acts different than my TranzitLink

I also have TranzitBlu in a Jetta, also in the bay area, and the sound is not scratchy either.. I did not change the FM station, just using the default.

try using a different FM station? (I think you are using FM 98.1)
Download the app for changing FM stations
"The TranzIt BLU HF disconnects the incoming antenna when in use, to deliver the cleanest possible audio from your phone. This routes your phone’s calls and music to the FM station 98.1, or any radio station you choose, using the free TranzIt BLU HF application for your smartphone."

You DID purchase and install the additional antenna wires to patch the TranzitBlu into the antenna feed right?

my guess is you just need to adjust a setting.. let us know

·
Registered
2009 Audi A4 Avant 2.0T
8 Posts
Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad that it seems to be working well for you. Yes, I purchased the additional antenna wire to patch in the TranzitBlu and have tried changing the stations, moving the excess wires around to reduce interference from power wires, etc... still terrible playback. I've decided to return it (hopefully they will still let me) and go with the full double-din setup with the new HVAC controls and a new head unit. I'll post a pic when I'm finished up!

·
Registered
819 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT
46 Posts
questions and a new solution for my 05 OB radio

This is my 1st Subaru and apparently I did not do enough research. The first thing I planned to do was swap the radio and here I am reading the same posts as everyone else.

What connections do the radio and climate control share that make this so difficult?

My local stereo genius suggested installing a detachable face hu with my favorite features somewhere in the car and mount the detachable face via ribbon cable somewhere on the console. This sounded like the best option for me. No idea on the difficulty level or cost of the ribbon cable setup. This setup would give me HD radio, Bluetooth and USB.

I have searched the web for an 08 factory radio and they are surprisingly cheap...the junkyard sites I've found even state the mileage on the donar vehicle which I hope will increase my chances for a radio without LCD issues.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,352 Posts
This is my 1st Subaru and apparently I did not do enough research. The first thing I planned to do was swap the radio and here I am reading the same posts as everyone else.

What connections do the radio and climate control share that make this so difficult?

My local stereo genius suggested installing a detachable face hu with my favorite features somewhere in the car and mount the detachable face via ribbon cable somewhere on the console. This sounded like the best option for me. No idea on the difficulty level or cost of the ribbon cable setup. This setup would give me HD radio, Bluetooth and USB.

I have searched the web for an 08 factory radio and they are surprisingly cheap...the junkyard sites I've found even state the mileage on the donar vehicle which I hope will increase my chances for a radio without LCD issues.
There's one big board that hosts the stereo and climate control displays and buttons. Power input is common- its fed via the stereo harness and shared between devices.

I hadn't heard of anyone else doing the detached-face setup in one of these. Sounds neat, almost certainly cheaper than the JDM double-DIN kit.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT
46 Posts
thanks rasterman...has anyone tried to remove the common board and leave the board behind the dash somewhere so it does its job and still allows us to add an aftermarket radio? I know its a reach...Im trying to stimulate some genius brains here on the forum

There has to be a way around this besides the JDM mod

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,352 Posts
thanks rasterman...has anyone tried to remove the common board and leave the board behind the dash somewhere so it does its job and still allows us to add an aftermarket radio? I know its a reach...Im trying to stimulate some genius brains here on the forum

There has to be a way around this besides the JDM mod

A year or two back somebody was working to reverse-engineer the communications to the HVAC system so that he could use a small cheap computer (arduino or raspberry pi) to control that system. I haven't seen any progress in quite some time though.

It used to be a pretty hot topic, back when these models were new or close to it. Not a lot of activity now that they've become classics.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The JDM kit requires custom wiring and a radio swap.. maybe someone will post the cost

the iSimple is an FM modulator, that is NOT bluetooth.. you can go to Best Buy or other big box stores and buy FM modulators for less, though they dont require getting behind the stereo

what is the cost and link to the Jazzy setup?

fwiw, my 2003 Jetta with stock stereo that also has NO Aux input, IS compatible with bluetooth after adding the Dension GBL3VW1. It plugs into the 6 cd changer port. This is NOT an option with my 2006 Subaru with climate control.

The Tranzit Blu FM modulator relies on FM reception. I have not tried it. My concern is that the last FM modulator I used, the audio was poor, and as I drove from one side of a hill to another, I had to change FM stations to get clear reception.

here is a thread with someone that got it to work, and someone that did not:
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthre...m-transmitter-installed-206137.html?p=4976816

Just say NO to calling an FM modulator a TRUE Bluetooth solution. It could work, or it might not, depending where you drive. The way FM modulation works, you need a station that is not in use in your area. The pitfall is as you drive to a new area, there may be an FM station using the channel you selected, so you get crosstalk, interference, and distortion.. That does not happen with true Bluetooth.

For a REAL bluetooth solution, you need to swap to a radio with Satellite and Aux capability, then you can use GROM (does NOT work with stock 2006 with automatic climate control radio)
Subaru 06-09 Bluetooth Hands Free Car Adapter Kit
I looked at GROM on amazon for my '05 it says it works only in Australian models. My audio has a non functioning multi disc player.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Update to my installation : Put in a Tunai Firefly connected to the USB power supply already installed last time. That's plugged into the iSimple. Works great for me. Connects automatically when I get into the car with my phone and the sound quality is very good. No wires showing.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Update to my installation : Put in a Tunai Firefly connected to the USB power supply already installed last time. That's plugged into the iSimple. Works great for me. Connects automatically when I get into the car with my phone and the sound quality is very good. No wires showing.
Since the iSimple is wired to the antenna input, there's no static and the sound quality is great.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts