Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i Limited/nav
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of a sudden, a few days ago, the backup camera on our '12 OB (2.5 Limited with Nav, 68K miles) became all blurry and almost non-usable. It's so difficult to see anything behind us that we don't trust the camera anymore.

We've dried and cleaned the lens (Windex, 91% alcohol, etc), to no avail. No, we had not just gone through a car wash (though we have gone through many a car wash since we bought the OB new in 2012).

Is there any way to buy a new lens without buying a whole new camera ($145 for the part)? The camera is working perfectly, it's obviously just the lens that is degrading.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Following ... (2011 Outback, rearview mirror camera) my backup camera image suddenly became blurry this past week.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This happened to me as well. The issue is water getting into the camera assembly probably from decomposing seals. I replaced the camera and new one is working great. Took old one apart and there is lots of water damage and rust internally.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited. White, Sunroof, 2.5, CVT. Bought 2/15/11. Love it! Broke 109K, 2/20.
433 Posts
The cameras are not particularly well designed. There's loads of posts on the failures of them and attempts to circumvent the Subaru replacement costs. Mine quit several years ago, and while I loved it, I'm not springing the necessary $$$ to replace it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had the same issue, bad camera and ended up just buying a whole new part {$150} Have fun removing and installing the new one, took me 3 hrs to figure it all out. Had to remove every internal trim/panel on rear door, and some 12 bolts + 8-10 clips holding the external panel on. Was quite difficult without breaking anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts