Subaru Outback Forums banner

BMS JB4 'Piggyback' Tune for the 2.4T Outback(s)

13640 285
After searching for available performance parts for the 2.4T, I learned that Burger Motorsports had the JB4 available for the ‘22+ WRX. I reached out and they replied that it would work with the 2.4T Outback as well. It is still in Beta format but I still went for it and placed my order. I received it on Monday and spent 1hr last night installing it. I opted for the Bluetooth module and purchased the app (personally, I think that they should include a one-time use code if you opt for the BT module add-on because it feels like they’re nickel & diming the customer to keep purchasing extras).
The install was straight forward and the online PDF/directions were pretty thorough (if you have some sort of mechanical competency). Identifying the plugs that are sandwiched was pretty easy. Pulling the HPFP plug was a pain and removing the front belly pan was the most labor intensive to get at the EWG plug at the Turbo. I rigged the OBDll plug and went out the door jamb because I couldn’t access firewall port last night (I will reroute it this weekend when I have time to pull more stuff apart..). After everything was installed and zip tied, I started it and connected the BT app and took it for a drive.
Now, on to the good stuff, and it is good. The JB4 is pretty simple in function; uses general operating parameters with data collected from motor via the module plugs & OBDll plug to override the factory mapping and controls the Electronic Waste Gate to hold boost longer rather than bleeding it (simplest explanation without getting too technical). I certainly feel the added power without a doubt. The drivability is absolutely normal and feels like stock in terms of the cars mannerisms while driving. The power comes on smooth and pulls harder all the way to redline. The CVT is totally unaffected by the additional power and drives and ‘shifts’ very similar to normal. In the end, it really is about a 40-50hp gain and is very suitable for the Outback considering the weight of the car, gearing and the fact that it IS NOT a WRX. I have only run Map2 which is for 93oct. I have ample access to E85 so I could run the E30/40 map too if I wanted and probably will just to test it out. My goal was to add a bit more power, which to me adds some confidence passing, entering a highway etc and for me, goal met. I have driven a true tuned cars for the past 15yrs (with the exception of my Gen5 3.6R) so I do feel that I have a very realistic expectation and understanding of tunes. In this case, I am onboard with the plug & play module vs a remapped ECU tune so that I can remove if/when needed and there’s also going to be a market to sell it down the road to the anyone driving the 2.4T if I decide I do not want it any longer. This option gives me what I think the car needs and I have zero concerns for the CVT handling the power, especially considering others will tow thousands of pounds regularly which will have much more strain on the CVT than adding 40ish more hp. On another note, it is still hot & humid here in the Tri-state area and the car will perform much better when the IAT’s drop with the change of the weather.
I will add some install pics this weekend when I have more time and continue to report progress with more usage. Feel free to ask questions and I will answer as best as I can. I also have ZERO affiliation with BMS and am just sharing information with the community for those that may be interested .

Cheers

Link to product page:
JB4 Tuner for 2022+ Subaru WRX BETA
221 - 240 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Got it. Really wondering if there’s something possibly different with my outback (touring). Or this connector is maybe incorrect. I’m pretty mechanically inclined and I’ve been at this for the better part of an hour

·
Registered
2022 OBW
224 Posts
Got it. Really wondering if there’s something possibly different with my outback (touring). Or this connector is maybe incorrect. I’m pretty mechanically inclined and I’ve been at this for the better part of an hour
Sorry for the dumb question - your Touring is an XT right?

The connector you showed looks correct, if you are lined up on your x axis but not your y (or vice versa) it will not seat properly. It is difficult to get to so all I can say is don’t get discouraged and keep at it. Obviously don’t force it as it should slip right in and “click” to lock. Might help once your wife gets home to point a flashlight down there so you can have both hands to work with.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes it is an xt. Cooler heads will prevail. Went to unhook everything cause I have to leave for a trip tomorrow. Cracked a beer fiddled with the stock plug then the jb4 and it basically fell into place. I feel like an idiot, but gonna get everything back together and see how it feels.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
IMO, anyone running a JB4 should keep an eye on the JB4tech.com forums and keep up with progress, questions and others experiences with the JB4 and the FA24F engine.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Prime Motoring just made max of 374whp/444wtq with bolt ons E30, Cobb and JB4. Peak torque at 3000rpms. This motor is strong! Add to that E60, header, and maybe intake manifold it’ll likely make 450whp on stock motor and stock turbo :) I would love to have that much power and torque in a dad wagon if the CVT can handle it. It is RS6 level since the Outback is 1000lb lighter :)

221 - 240 of 286 Posts