Subaru Outback Forums banner

BMS JB4 'Piggyback' Tune for the 2.4T Outback(s)

28997 Views 515 Replies 36 Participants Last post by  teamdrop
After searching for available performance parts for the 2.4T, I learned that Burger Motorsports had the JB4 available for the ‘22+ WRX. I reached out and they replied that it would work with the 2.4T Outback as well. It is still in Beta format but I still went for it and placed my order. I received it on Monday and spent 1hr last night installing it. I opted for the Bluetooth module and purchased the app (personally, I think that they should include a one-time use code if you opt for the BT module add-on because it feels like they’re nickel & diming the customer to keep purchasing extras).
The install was straight forward and the online PDF/directions were pretty thorough (if you have some sort of mechanical competency). Identifying the plugs that are sandwiched was pretty easy. Pulling the HPFP plug was a pain and removing the front belly pan was the most labor intensive to get at the EWG plug at the Turbo. I rigged the OBDll plug and went out the door jamb because I couldn’t access firewall port last night (I will reroute it this weekend when I have time to pull more stuff apart..). After everything was installed and zip tied, I started it and connected the BT app and took it for a drive.
Now, on to the good stuff, and it is good. The JB4 is pretty simple in function; uses general operating parameters with data collected from motor via the module plugs & OBDll plug to override the factory mapping and controls the Electronic Waste Gate to hold boost longer rather than bleeding it (simplest explanation without getting too technical). I certainly feel the added power without a doubt. The drivability is absolutely normal and feels like stock in terms of the cars mannerisms while driving. The power comes on smooth and pulls harder all the way to redline. The CVT is totally unaffected by the additional power and drives and ‘shifts’ very similar to normal. In the end, it really is about a 40-50hp gain and is very suitable for the Outback considering the weight of the car, gearing and the fact that it IS NOT a WRX. I have only run Map2 which is for 93oct. I have ample access to E85 so I could run the E30/40 map too if I wanted and probably will just to test it out. My goal was to add a bit more power, which to me adds some confidence passing, entering a highway etc and for me, goal met. I have driven a true tuned cars for the past 15yrs (with the exception of my Gen5 3.6R) so I do feel that I have a very realistic expectation and understanding of tunes. In this case, I am onboard with the plug & play module vs a remapped ECU tune so that I can remove if/when needed and there’s also going to be a market to sell it down the road to the anyone driving the 2.4T if I decide I do not want it any longer. This option gives me what I think the car needs and I have zero concerns for the CVT handling the power, especially considering others will tow thousands of pounds regularly which will have much more strain on the CVT than adding 40ish more hp. On another note, it is still hot & humid here in the Tri-state area and the car will perform much better when the IAT’s drop with the change of the weather.
I will add some install pics this weekend when I have more time and continue to report progress with more usage. Feel free to ask questions and I will answer as best as I can. I also have ZERO affiliation with BMS and am just sharing information with the community for those that may be interested .

Cheers

Link to product page:
JB4 Tuner for 2022+ Subaru WRX BETA
441 - 460 of 516 Posts

· Registered
207 Posts

installed the BMS intake today!

Pros:
1. Sounds incredible (vid below)! Even the slightest throttle lets off a BPV sound. The turbo spool sounds amazing. I’d say 90% louder than stock intake with KN filter and charcoal filter delete.

2. The power and spool up are noticeably improved! I will dyno the car again in a couple of weeks to confirm the butt dyno. The BMS intake is 3” straight through with . The stock intake on the other hand is longer, more tortuous, and has a snorkel. All for the sake of keeping the intake quiet from the factory. The BMS intake also comes with a velocity stack which helps a lot with the amount of air the turbo pulls in. CVT holding up well!

Cons:

1. I had to mcguyver some parts of the install since the 2022 WRX intake configuration is different than the Outback XT.
2. Biggest concern is that the one mounting point for the intake does not fit the Outback XT.
3. The way the intake sits, the stock ram air vent can’t fit and the BMS heat shield doesn’t completely seal.
4. I had to use a longer silicone coupler from the turbo to the intake otherwise the intake wouldn’t fit.
5. I’ll be taking my car to the shop to have them make a custom mounting point for the intake and see if they can orient the intake better for the stock ram air duct to fit.

· Registered
158 Posts

Pros:
1. Sounds incredible (vid below)! Even the slightest throttle lets off a BPV sound. The turbo spool sounds amazing. I’d say 90% louder than stock intake with KN filter and charcoal filter delete.

2. The power and spool up are noticeably improved! I will dyno the car again in a couple of weeks to confirm the butt dyno. The BMS intake is 3” straight through with . The stock intake on the other hand is longer, more tortuous, and has a snorkel. All for the sake of keeping the intake quiet from the factory. The BMS intake also comes with a velocity stack which helps a lot with the amount of air the turbo pulls in. CVT holding up well!

Cons:

1. I had to mcguyver some parts of the install since the 2022 WRX intake configuration is different than the Outback XT.
2. Biggest concern is that the one mounting point for the intake does not fit the Outback XT.
3. The way the intake sits, the stock ram air vent can’t fit and the BMS heat shield doesn’t completely seal.
4. I had to use a longer silicone coupler from the turbo to the intake otherwise the intake wouldn’t fit.
5. I’ll be taking my car to the shop to have them make a custom mounting point for the intake and see if they can orient the intake better for the stock ram air duct to fit.

Thanks for the update! Any chance you will be giving feedback to BMS in hopes they will offer a modified product for us Outback XT owners?

· Registered
2021 Subaru Outback Premier XT
13 Posts

Pros:

Cons:

OK how do I get mine to sound like this? Sounds amazing. what have you done with it so far?

· Registered
2021 Onyx XT
398 Posts

· Registered
2021 Onyx XT
398 Posts
Unfortunately, that doesn't work.
Are you getting an error? Not sure what you mean by 'that doesn't work'. I see a list of all his posts after I click on the link.

Regardless, you can do your own Search for all posts by a user.

· Registered
13 Posts
Are you getting an error? Not sure what you mean by 'that doesn't work'. I see a list of all his posts after I click on the link.

Regardless, you can do your own Search for all posts by a user.
Sorry, yes an error comes up. I ended up searching through the posts. I have been missing the turbo noises and was hoping to get them back.

· Registered
2021 Onyx XT
398 Posts
Sorry, yes an error comes up. I ended up searching through the posts. I have been missing the turbo noises and was hoping to get them back.
@User1029 has installed quite a complete solution,, key, IMO, is the JB4. A bit expensive just to get the turbo noise. :)

· Registered
13 Posts
I got Lachute downpipe, ETS TMIC, JB4, and BMS intake as bolt ons :) currently running E30 on Map5. Also my Perrin charge pipe just arrived. I got several new angled couplers to see if I can make the intake fit better :)
Must make amazing differences over the stock form. Can't wait to see what else you do. Glad I don't have car payments, time to start saving for the extras.

· Registered
207 Posts
OK how do I get mine to sound like this? Sounds amazing. what have you done with it so far?
I would say JB4 ($700ish) and BMS intake ($400). It will give you a nice power bump and it’ll sound incredible :) just don’t hook the EWG port up on the JB4 to avoid the P003A code and hold off until I figure out how to make the intake fit better lol

· Registered
13 Posts
I would say JB4 ($700ish) and BMS intake ($400). It will give you a nice power bump and it’ll sound incredible :) just don’t hook the EWG port up on the JB4 to avoid the P003A code and hold off until I figure out how to make the intake fit better lol
Oh I will be waiting. I can at least order the intake. Take a look at how it all goes together and what needs to be done to make it all work. I don't see myself installing it in -20 weather. It can wait until spring.

· Registered
207 Posts

installed the 2022 WRX Perrin charge pipe today :)

1. Fitment is perfect for the outback XT
2. The instructions said to take off radiator fan but the Outback radiator fan configuration is different than the WRX. You can’t just take off one fan, you have to off the whole row. I decided not to take off the radiator fans and install still went smoothly.
3. Turbo sounds 15% louder with more streamlined flow and no bottlenecks in the charge pipe :) butt dyno approved :)

441 - 460 of 516 Posts