Subaru Outback Forums banner
41 - 60 of 508 Posts

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
JB4 is my first exposure to piggyback software and the lack of ability to monitor feedback knock, fine knock learn, and dynamic advance multipler does give me some pause. The tuner I use for my cars does not tune JB4 at the moment. I may decide to be patient and wait for Cobb to release their support for this car :)
I used Chipwerke on my wife’s old Q7 years back. Basically out of curiosity. Similar results to the JB4. When Audi went to the Bosch M1 ECU in their current 3.0 Turbo motor, JB4 was quick to market and the guys adapting had success with it. It’s not the same as a written ECU tune obviously and there and will be some quirks and/or possible hardware issues too. But I personally am comfortable and ok with that. IMO, it’s just the right fit for my needs. I can remove in in approx 20min and as I’ve said before, there’s always going to be a strong resale market for it across the 2.4T platform. The percentage of driving time that I actually take advantage of the extra power is probably 10% and the other 90% is normal driving. But it’s there when I want it to be. As I log more time and communicate with BMS, perhaps there is a hpfp solution (maybe WRX?) to satisfy any lean conditions at high psi under load. I’m going to spend more time this weekend going through the app and it’s features and options logging capabilities. I have OBD Fusion app that I had used on my last tuned car, need to check if it is applicable. I used to use it w my Carista OBD dongle.

· Premium Member
2020 Onyx
20,219 Posts
I used a TurboXS UTEC piggyback on my 2005 Legacy GT but then took it out and went with open source tuning with a tactrix cable and a laptop instead so I could be in full control of everything.

(not my image but looks exactly like mine)

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Looks like something left behind from Doc Brown... lol

I used a TurboXS UTEC piggyback on my 2005 Legacy GT but then took it out and went with open source tuning with a tactrix cable and a laptop instead so I could be in full control of everything.

(not my image but looks exactly like mine)

· Premium Member
2020 Onyx
20,219 Posts
@Outbakkr what fuel and maps were you using for the first two logs?

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I was on 93oct & Map2 on the first 2 logs

The car feels very good. I would say more in the neighborhood of 40/45hp (seat hp ). Lil joke, as we’ve all been part of the butt dyno vs real dyno vs FATS times vs real world 1/4 times and on & on.

CVT feels very normal and crisp during hard runs. I mean, I’m not riding around mashing it constantly. It felt very good last nite when it was 62F out. Today at 78F you can feel the difference. I signed up on JB4tech forum and was looking at the WRX comments/feedback etc. They all seem very happy and are looking forward to continued development. One member asked if they would incorporate CVT temp into the logging and the BMS rep said in down the road, their in-house development car is a 6MT so..
I left the log there for the rep to comment on, I’ll see what he says.
I had the CVT replaced in my Gen5 3.6 at 27k mi so I sure know the feeling of a failing/slipping CVT. I drove that car really hard. When I brought it to the dealer, 3 of the techs came out to see me, and basically were patting me on the back for how I set that car up LOL! The service mgr said that they did me a solid by covering the CVT because I had ‘big tires on the car’ (255/55/18). I told him to show me where the % tolerances in the mfg warranty were stated for replacement tires and he froze. I nicely told him he was a f¥kking dope and to piss off.

· Premium Member
2020 Onyx
20,219 Posts
Is there any way to access knock info? I had a hard time understanding the timing I was seeing in your logs.

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
I have the Darkmatter mount, but its zip tied atm to the battery mount. I have to slightly modify it to mount it, which I will do tomorrow and share pics. The OB ECU is slightly different than the WRX in its mount and size etc.

Loving the JB4, its just the perfect dose for the pedestrian wagon, lol!

Did you mount it with the Dark Matter mount for the wrx or come up with a DIY mounting method?

· Registered
101 Posts
I messaged subimods since they are local to me to see if they have any in stock. They said they have some orders that they are waiting to fufill as inventory comes in. Long shot but I asked if they had the ability to do a group buy. Will prob be a no but BMS does seem to Nickel and dime you with the Bluetooth and the charge for the app so figured it was worth the ask.

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I installed the Darkmatter JB4 Mount tonight. I received it the other day and when I went to mount it I found out that the ECU mount tabs are different than the '22 WRX (Mount is made for the '22 WRX). The bolts that the ECU fastens to are too short to accommodate the thickness of the Darkmatter Mount. Sooo, the mount tab/bolts are M6 and I went online and ordered M6 Female bolts that have an M8 OD. I drilled the mount holes in the Darkmatter Mount with a 5/16 drill bit and installed the mount using the M6 female bolts. Perfect fit and tbh, since the mount is available, it is the only way to mount a JB4 if anyone takes the leap.

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Adding a log for E30 Map4 on a 15-100mph run. Felt very good and the IAT's were more ideal than the first few logs that I did. I will also try Map5 tomorrow. CVT was just fine also!

Below are Burgers index for the maps that they offer;

JB4 Map Guide:

Map0: Fully disable JB4
Map1: +3psi peak over stock, default map, suitable for all fuels.
Map2: +4psi peak, suggested for 93 octane or higher
Map3: +6psi peak, suggested for 30% E85
Map4: +7psi peak, suggested for 30% E85 along with bolt on modifications
Map5: +7psi peak, no boost taper, more aggressive version of map4.
Map6: User adjustable by RPM map on user adjustment page, values are peak boost over stock by RPM under heavy throttle.
Map7: Progressive WMI mapping, under development

Attachments

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Here is Map5. I likely wouldn't run this map again, but it was good to test it. With minor mods (if you could even call them mods); AFE drop-in filter and LP Mufflers it is where the Burger claims of 60-70 chp comes from. With minimal boost taper and an extra psi of boost, it pulled strong and just layered into the next 'gear' as it shifted. Other maps have a slight drop in power before the turbo spools up again. A max 24.8psi!!! Had I gotten an Onyx XT, I wold have no issue building the car a bit to support the tune. But, considering I have a Wilderness, Map2 is all that I'll be running.
Good stuff though! And the CVT was crisp on the 'shifts' with no (slight actually) boost taper!!

Attachments

· Registered
2022 OBW
244 Posts
Here is Map5. I likely wouldn't run this map again, but it was good to test it. With minor mods (if you could even call them mods); AFE drop-in filter and LP Mufflers it is where the Burger claims of 60-70 chp comes from. With minimal boost taper and an extra psi of boost, it pulled strong and just layered into the next 'gear' as it shifted. Other maps have a slight drop in power before the turbo spools up again. A max 24.8psi!!! Had I gotten an Onyx XT, I wold have no issue building the car a bit to support the tune. But, considering I have a Wilderness, Map2 is all that I'll be running.
Good stuff though! And the CVT was crisp on the 'shifts' with no (slight actually) boost taper!!
As always, thank you for sharing @Outbakkr ! After looking at your previous post, I agree, max I would ever push the Wilderness would be with Map 2 as well. Still waiting a bit before I pull the trigger to “add to cart” 😁. Not sure when that moment will come, but I believe it will be sooner than later 😅.

· Premium Member
2020 Onyx
20,219 Posts
If the first log was map 1 then it was overshooting the +3 psi target. Stock when I checked my car I got around 14.5 psi peak with rapid taper which matches the spec. It doesn't stay at 14.5 very long at all. +3 psi would be 17.5 psi peak but from the very first run it was around 19-20 psi peak, or about +5 psi?

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
If the first log was map 1 then it was overshooting the +3 psi target. Stock when I checked my car I got around 14.5 psi peak with rapid taper which matches the spec. It doesn't stay at 14.5 very long at all. +3 psi would be 17.5 psi peak but from the very first run it was around 19-20 psi peak, or about +5 psi?
I never ran map1, which is 91+. First set of logs were map2 93+

41 - 60 of 508 Posts