Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW 1 Series with B38 three-cylinder engine First Drive

Can we embrace this three-cylinder turbo in a BMW? Yes. Does it feel cheap and are we just pandering to a BMW bias? No. This is a legitimate and significant move that's long been in the planning stages, not a fluke. It'll be put to use in every model below the 5 Series, we are told.

But what about the proliferation of front-wheel drive into BMWs and not just Mini? We'll have to wait and see, since that wasn't tested here. We suppose that depends on how far across the lineup they choose to spread out the technology...

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,693 Posts
3 cylinder, twin-scroll turbo.

I can't make that work in my head.

·
Premium Member
Outback Executive 3.0 MY08 (VTD/VDC/LSD)
915 Posts
I hope thar electrical cars and hydrogen cars will come soon. Till that moment I stick with 6 or 8 zylinder.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Soon the I6 will (again?) be the premier BMW engine...V8 and V10 will be things of the past.

·
Registered
2012 Outback
6 Posts
I would say the I6 is still the true engine for a BMW. The smaller turbocharged engines meet the needs of some BMW owners, but the I6 has a spot in the heart of every BMW enthusiast.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ For sure I agree, but I sense a little bias coming from "e46king" haha.

Just kidding...I'm coming from a S54B32, so I'm with you on the I6 being a BMW classic. But unfortunately classic is what it's becoming..

·
Registered
2012 Outback
6 Posts
Nice, love the M3s. I still have my 330i (currently on jack stands waiting for my Bilstien PSS coilovers to be rebuilt). The Outback was a recent purchase but I am loving the AWD and low maintenance costs.

I think BMW has to keep competitive with the turbocharged small engines for the fuel conscious buyers in Europe and the US. The I6 has been around for a long time and I imagine they will continue to be offered in one capacity or another.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The way they're heading I can't imagine they'll ever match the E46 body and high revving I6 under that bonnet.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^ It's a direct swap, you're good!

·
Registered
2003 Outback Limited 2.5L H4 5MT Regatta Red Pearl w/ lift and audio system
1,256 Posts
175 hp and 200 ft. lbs torque. seems like it would be fun to me. provided the car can handle well.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^ As standard with most other BMW models, I imagine it would be a blast through the twisties. Not exactly powerful, but good for spirited driving.

·
Registered
2003 Outback Limited 2.5L H4 5MT Regatta Red Pearl w/ lift and audio system
1,256 Posts
That's exactly what I would like. Handling > Speed. And from the cars I'm used to, I have no doubt that it would feel powerful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts