Subaru Outback Forums banner

BMW 3 Cylinder Turbo Engine (B38) Review by Autoblog

2740 12
BMW 1 Series with B38 three-cylinder engine First Drive

Can we embrace this three-cylinder turbo in a BMW? Yes. Does it feel cheap and are we just pandering to a BMW bias? No. This is a legitimate and significant move that's long been in the planning stages, not a fluke. It'll be put to use in every model below the 5 Series, we are told.

But what about the proliferation of front-wheel drive into BMWs and not just Mini? We'll have to wait and see, since that wasn't tested here. We suppose that depends on how far across the lineup they choose to spread out the technology...
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^ For sure I agree, but I sense a little bias coming from "e46king" haha.

Just kidding...I'm coming from a S54B32, so I'm with you on the I6 being a BMW classic. But unfortunately classic is what it's becoming..

·
Registered
2012 Outback
6 Posts
Nice, love the M3s. I still have my 330i (currently on jack stands waiting for my Bilstien PSS coilovers to be rebuilt). The Outback was a recent purchase but I am loving the AWD and low maintenance costs.

I think BMW has to keep competitive with the turbocharged small engines for the fuel conscious buyers in Europe and the US. The I6 has been around for a long time and I imagine they will continue to be offered in one capacity or another.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^ As standard with most other BMW models, I imagine it would be a blast through the twisties. Not exactly powerful, but good for spirited driving.

·
Registered
2003 Outback Limited 2.5L H4 5MT Regatta Red Pearl w/ lift and audio system
1,255 Posts
That's exactly what I would like. Handling > Speed. And from the cars I'm used to, I have no doubt that it would feel powerful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.