Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
2004 Outback Wagon H4 5spd
Discussion Starter #1
Jondalar said:
Well I just read that the X3 has only a space saver spare, how can anyone venture more than a short distance off road with that as their only backup in case of a puncture? Did they make a space saver spare that can cope with off road conditions?? :eek:
I started a new thread as I didn't want to drag the X3 vs. Outback thread too far off topic.

HA! Like BMW cares about what happens to you when you get a flat.

I gotta rant 'cause of what I went through today. My M Roadster doesn't have ANY spare, and the tires are not runflats. All you get is a glorified can of Fix-A-Flat in the trunk and a 12v compressor. Apparently the design of the dual exhaust on the M variant takes up the spot for the space saver spare the Z3 uses. Yesterday I got a tire pressure warning on the way home, fortunately the tire held long enough for me to get to my driveway. Bigass screw right through one of the rear tires.

So - take off the wheel and get it fixed - simple right? Well, since BMW didn't put a spare in the car, they figure you aren't going to need a lug wrench either. Turns out I didn't have a hefty enough 17mm socket that would fit, so I had to buy one. With no road hazard coverage on the tire, I didn't want to pay BMW rates to fix the tire, so I had to find a shop that can handle the delicate 5 spoke M-sport wheel as well as do a decent repair. To top off the project, after I got the wheel home I had problems with my ISP preventing me from searching for the correct torque for the lug nuts. :mad:

Getting back to Jondalar's comment - yeah, I think it's criminal to not have a full size spare on an SUV that has ANY offroad pretensions .

SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
Gotta love that thoughtful German engineering :rolleyes:

Cheap baztards! :soapbox:

Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
Zumdish that's some horror story, I can only imagine what it would've been like if it were an SUV an hours drive into rough terrain, no cell phone signal and a space saver spare than pops as soon as the first sharp piece of gravel hits it... Still, the M Roadster is worth the pain I'm sure :D

Registered
Seems to me the average BMW driver is a) not actually going to ever go off road, b) probably doesn't like to get their hands dirty, and is rich enough to c) just call for help on their cell phone.

:p

Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
You know, speaking of spares...I just had seen in my work's classified ads a 2001 Subaru Forester for sale and they said it had a full size spare tire. Is that true, or do they have a big lunkin' tire in the hatch area? Brian

Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
heresy

if ya really want off road capability, get a well used 90s vintage Jeep XJ-chassis Cherokee with manual and 4 liter six. 3-4" more ground clearance than OB, stock, and BRUTAL componentry, most of which is shared with CJs. same wheelbase as OBS and shorter overall. you can buy a good one for abt the same as a Cobb/Borla/Stromung exhaust setup that makes nice noises.

MY OBS is a far better vehicle overall, but guess which one i take when going WAAAY into the "outback" (here, mountains of NM)?? it eats 12" deep ruts for lunch like no Subie ever did.

subtlety and driving precision of a sledgehammer, but for some jobs, a sledgehammer is the right tool.....

and hey, it's not just the BMW X3 and X5 owners, most sport utes AND their owners are posers who just wanted a stylish station wagon and would be as helpless as turtle on its back if something broke out in the middle of nowhere. probably shave their heads to look tough too as they sit in front of their TVs and get fat... IMmaybe not always sufficientlyHO.

Registered
1998 2.5L SOHC Subaru Legacy Outback
those things (beamer soove and mercedes and all the other ****mobile lux suvs) weigh over 6050, to escape something, i dunno if its telling thier fuel economy or what but because there is something that if youre car is over 6k it does not qualify and i think it is emission standards anyway, my mom was droppin me off somewhere, and this bmw guy pulls up next to us and he wants to race- as we are driving on the freeway, naturally hes just trying to show off, because hes like 55, fat and ugly. he keeps this constant lead over us whenever we pull up a tiny bit. eventually he gets tired of us going faster than him and swerves in front of us between a prius (almost hitting the hybrid) that was like 12 feet from us and speeds off.

Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
Around here it's the Jeep Cherokees that drive that way, gotta be on top, gotta be first.

My commute takes me past the main BMW leasing offices for the USA, and the roads are full of BMWs of every model - sometimes with manufacturer plates. But they generally drive like wimps.

Registered
1998 2.5L SOHC Subaru Legacy Outback
yea, up here weve got them everywhere all different, but also weve got the load of mecedes and Lexus. i think the only consumer car companies that dont make an SUV yet are audi, saab (which is in the process of making one) and jaguar.

Registered
98 outback 5spd MT, the mighty Huc
The sister of a guy I worked with at my last contract bought a brand new X3.
She an air force pilot and is stationed in Germany, and she got 4 blocks from the dealer and the tranny fell out. Literally. *thud* on the ground :eek:

Registered
98 outback 5spd MT, the mighty Huc
i still cant stop laughing whenever i think of that story.

she didnt eve get a chance to use the space saver spare! :D

Registered
'06 Outback Limited, '04 VW Phaeton, '65 427 Cobra
As an aside. Most tire shops will not repair a Z rated tire. A repaired tire forfeits the Z rating and flashes a lawyer automatically. It's expensive to play in rarefied air.
RB

Brucey
'17 3.6
as a side note, a car salesman I know (he wasnt trying to make any money off me) said that space saver donuts actually cost more than a full size spare, and besides the slight space and weight savings, the main reason is so that joe average will get the tire fixed as soon as possible, because with a full size spare you can still function more or less the same.

Registered
2005 Subaru Outback LLBean
And BMW probably bought the 12V compressor from WalMart!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts