Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
Joined
·
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I'll go ahead and admit it, I jacked this story from www.legacygt.com . I'd hate for Jedi to have to come in here and see me taking credit for everything :p


05LegacyGT330Ci at [url]www.legacygt.com[/url] said:
I wish we could get this engine over in the states, this is the single turbo version they also have a sequential turbo version with 272 hp and 413 lb ft runs to 60 in under 6 seconds and high speed acceleration that will snap your neck. **** Americans for not wanting diesels.

http://video.sport1.de/pub/Video/msmedia/de/Motorvision/Motorvision/mv100-bmw-tracktest_wmt_adsl.asf
Anyway, that thing is flippin' sweet!!! I totally want to write Subaru and tell them that WE NEED an engine like that in the lineup. If they came up with an engine like that in an Outback, I'd be the first guy to be putting in an order :D

Anyway, I think we may need to get a petition going to see if we can make this happen! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,730 Posts
yeah, I would definitely buy an OB with a Turbo Diesel. That owuld be way cool.

Volvo has a 2.0L TDI engine in Europe that produces 240 ft/lbs of torque and delivers 49 Mpg.

If we could get something similar in the Outback and get 40 Mpg with the AWD, I would be all over it.

Those modern diesel engines are quiet, clean, and exremely efficient. They are taking Europe by storm. But we probably won't see them here until the new low sulfur diesel fuel is mandated in 2006/2007.

Since my lease will come up in 2008, here's hoping my next OB will be an OBTDi
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sduford said:
Those modern diesel engines are quiet, clean, and exremely efficient. They are taking Europe by storm. But we probably won't see them here until the new low sulfur diesel fuel is mandated in 2006/2007.

Since my lease will come up in 2008, here's hoping my next OB will be an OBTDi
Hey Sly, what are the emission standards in Canada like for diesels? That may be another reason why I want to move to Canada ;)


Here's a Car & Driver report on the death of diesels in the U.S.:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=7816&page_number=1

I really don't see what the big friggin' deal is in the U.S. with diesels or at least why the gov't has to be so stringent with their emissions laws that are negative towards diesels. I'd say its likely that all the ultra-greedy oil companies have their hands in the pot and on the vote :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
and with diesel compression pressures, they'd finally have to come up with head gaskets that don't leak......

i'm with Sly. if they offered the new OB with a TDI, i'd finally line up to buy a "real" OB and my first new car ever. i have frineds with stuff like huuuuge F250s with 400+ ft lb of torque that get similar mileage on hwy to an XT. :cool:
 

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
Joined
·
2,417 Posts
cptoversteer said:
i'm with Sly. if they offered the new OB with a TDI, i'd finally line up to buy a "real" OB and my first new car ever.
A chink in the armoUr.

By the way, a Subaru turbo diesel: don't hold your breath, guys!:28:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
i suspect Mudge is right on us getting such. GM will tell us what we need, or at least what we're going to get. no TDIs for you, but line up to drop $40K on a Trifecta.

ironic, as subaru makes a ton of small diesels for power equipment like generators, pressure washers, etc under the brand name "Subaru Robin"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,730 Posts
I'm not sure that will be true in the long run. TDIs are becoming essential in Europe (something like 50% of sales already) so Subaru will need to develop or buy that technology (I believe Volvo buys their TDI engines from someone else). Once it's iin their inventory and our diesel supply is updated to meet 21st century standards, then they will start importing them.

Just imagine 40+ miles a gallon with excellent towing power and a 700 miles range...
 

·
Tokyo's between my toes
Joined
·
6,696 Posts
Shoot. not only that, but go the biodiesel route and pour used fry oil in the tank.

When I was at Ohio State in the 80s, they were experimenting successfully with a mix of 80% diesel and 20% oil in the campus bus fleet.
 

·
Submod , ,
Joined
·
3,022 Posts
Hmmmm... If Subaru isn't likely to help their customers get better mpg with more power (at least in the short term) and Volvo is already doing this, maybe I should go to Volvo.

Not knowing a lot about engines and such, I wonder if a hybrid diesel/electric is possible. I (and my wife) would be all over a vehicle like this. I could then convert it to running vegetable oil or biodiesel.

sduford said:
Just imagine 40+ miles a gallon with excellent towing power and a 700 miles range...
If a biodiesel hybrid was possible could you imagine the implications... maybe twice the range of what ordinary diesels get AND 1/4 of the bad emissions :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,730 Posts
The_Lizard said:
Shoot. not only that, but go the biodiesel route and pour used fry oil in the tank.

When I was at Ohio State in the 80s, they were experimenting successfully with a mix of 80% diesel and 20% oil in the campus bus fleet.
There is actually a very simple process that turns used vegetable oil into biodiesel. You can run 100% on the stuff. There are a few companies around that do it for resale, and many farmers who do it for their farm equipment.

http://www.biodiesel.org/
http://www.biodiesel.com/
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,730 Posts
Subhuman said:
Hmmmm... If Subaru isn't likely to help their customers get better mpg with more power (at least in the short term) and Volvo is already doing this, maybe I should go to Volvo.

Not knowing a lot about engines and such, I wonder if a hybrid diesel/electric is possible. I (and my wife) would be all over a vehicle like this. I could then convert it to running vegetable oil or biodiesel.


If a biodiesel hybrid was possible could you imagine the implications... maybe twice the range of what ordinary diesels get AND 1/4 of the bad emissions :eek:
Well, you can't get a Volvo Diesel in North America.

The biggest challenge for SUbaru is that unless they make a boxer diesel, they have to redesign their entire drivetrain/AWD.
There are already some TDI/Electric hybrids in the works.

http://www.tblog.com/templates/index.php?bid=hybridcars&static=368639
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,618 Posts
sduford said:


There is actually a very simple process that turns used vegetable oil into biodiesel. You can run 100% on the stuff. There are a few companies around that do it for resale, and many farmers who do it for their farm equipment.

I agree with the idea of running biodiesel in things that can take it, but you can bet your last $ that a high output turbo diesel performance engine won't be able to. I still think it would be a great thing, has had some very fast diesel 3 series in Europe for a few years that we haven't had access to in Australia due to the diesel here not being clean enough / low enough in sulfur.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,730 Posts
Jondalar said:


I agree with the idea of running biodiesel in things that can take it, but you can bet your last $ that a high output turbo diesel performance engine won't be able to. I still think it would be a great thing, has had some very fast diesel 3 series in Europe for a few years that we haven't had access to in Australia due to the diesel here not being clean enough / low enough in sulfur.
I agree, and if I ever get a high-performance TDI car I certainly have no intention of running it on McDonald's toxic waste! :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Been driving Diesels since I started started driving almost 17 years ago. Covered almost 700,000 miles in them (just two cars).

If Subaru where to make a Diesel Outback my wife and I would be all over it.

As for biodiesel in modern high performance diesels. Works just fine. The issue with most biodiesel is that it contains a lot of water. Dry bio is actually better for the engine than petro diesel as it has a higher cetane rating and lubricates better as well. The trick is to find dry bio and keep it dry. Soaks up water like a sponge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Subhuman said:
If a biodiesel hybrid was possible could you imagine the implications... maybe twice the range of what ordinary diesels get AND 1/4 of the bad emissions :eek:
As a point of reference modern diesels are much cleaner than most gasoline engines on the market today. The only component of a diesel exhaust that is dirtier than a gasoline engine is NOX. Studies have shown that by 50,000 miles the gasoline engine of comparable size is producing the same amount of NOX as well.

The things most of the enviro nuts scream about it the visible diesel exhaust. Most of what you see is simply carbon particulate. If a diesel is running correctly you will see very little of that anymore.

Studies have shown diesel exhaust to carcinogenic due in part to the particulate mater irritating the linings of the lungs. What is not said is that gasoline exhaust also contains carbon particulates as well but much smaller in physical size (thus harder to see) so that are actually able to get deeper into the lungs.

My post is a bit rambling but the point is to say modern diesels are VERY clean and in most cases much cleaner than the gasoline counterparts.

As of last year the only two cars on the road that emitted fewer greenhouse gasses (measure in tons over 15,000 miles) than my VW TDI where the Honda Insight and the Toyota Prius. The difference was pretty small.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
15 Participants
FastSly
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing
Top