Subaru Outback Forums banner

Bob Rohrman Subaru - Indiana > READ BEFORE YOU BUY

9K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Tishers 
#1 ·
I just bought a brand new 2013 outback, please check these videos before buying a car from them, its my biggest advice

Vid #1

Vid #2

You should be aware of all pro's and con's before buying it, if you have any questions contact me

#5 ·
Bob Rohrman is the worst. Slimy, used car salesmen working at a new car dealership. I ended up getting my 2015 Outback at International Subaru in Merrillville (1.3 hrs from Lafayette) for well under invoice. In fact, it was over $2000 less than my lowest quoted price at Rohrman. I called the GM at Rohrman to give them another shot but never heard anything back. I have nothing but bad things to say about Bob Rohrman. Beware

#7 ·
I crossed Bob Rohrman of the list of dealers that I would do business with in 1988 when the salesman tried to tell me what I wanted to buy. This was after I told him specifically what I was interested in. I promptly showed him that I knew much more about the cars that he was selling than he did and left him on the lot. It appears that the dealership has not gotten any better since then. Shame...

#9 ·
I remember a story concerning the last Mercury Topaz at a local multi-line dealer. (they sell GM/Ford/ Chrysler, both then and now). This was relayed to me by a mechanic there whom was replacing a speaker in one of the cars jammed in the showroom so he heard the whole affair.

nice old guy comes in asking to order a loaded up then new 96 Sable jelly bean to replace the old worn out one he had. (like a 86 sable)

one of the owners comes out,...the one that works as the general manager, whom vaguely knows the customer, and proceeds to talk his ear off for 45 minutes... into taking that topaz that no one wanted period without even a test drive to see that it was a worse car then the nice customer came in.

that topaz had a little bonus cash "spiff" on it to whomever could sell it...... in this case,...maybe it took the general manager himself to take proper advantage of a senior citizen,...when the underlings would not go in for the kill to sell the worst piece of new junk on the whole lot.

#8 ·
I've heard some people say some good things about Bob on a personal level but I have NEVER heard anyone say anything good about doing business with him. My only experience in attempting to do business with his Subaru dealership in Lafayette goes like this, I was hot to buy a new 2002 WRX when they first came out and this dealership was the first to get any within a reasonable driving distance from where I was living at the time. I drove nearly 2 hours to get to the dealership and believe me when I say I could have purchased one of those cars that very day. As it happened not only was I not allowed to test drive a WRX there but they would not even let me sit in one (they had three available to include on one the showroom). The rudest salesman I've ever dealt with told me that I would need to bring my parents with me before I could do anything.

I was 20 at the time and had received $12,000 from the Army as well as having other assets, I may have been young but that does not mean I would have been unable to purchase this vehicle outright or at least swing a good finance deal. Suffice it all to say that they completely blew me off and would not take me seriously, they were so rude that they effectively ran me out of the dealership. Never have I considered going back aside from having a forum member here work there and I thought I might do business with him but he left employment before I could buy a car from him. Probably a good thing and it is probably a good thing that I did not buy a WRX from Bob as I ended up buying my 2003 Outback elsewhere and then launched this site.

So in other words, SubaruOutback.org thanks Bob Rohrman for not permitting me to buy a car from them. Perhaps that is the only good thing to come out of attempting to do business with them :)

Attachments

#11 ·
I've heard some people say some good things about Bob on a personal level but I have NEVER heard anyone say anything good about doing business with him.
Um, I'm from Lafayette, Indiana, lived there for 25 years before moving to Oklahoma.

I've had good experiences with Bill DeFouw Chevrolet and a decent experience with Mike Raisor Pontiac. (That was when I had to lemon-law the Isuzu Rodeo I bought - they were also the Isuzu dealer at the time.)

And I was working at the Subaru plant with I purchased a new Subaru through Bob Rohrman, so you would think they would treat me decently. I'd like to say that they did. I can't, but I'd like to ... I'll just leave the rest of it alone and silently agree with Kevin's appraisal of things.

#12 ·
Did you get a free book out of it? ....to recycle.

what was lemony about your particular Rodeo.?

#13 ·
what was lemony about your particular Rodeo.?
Transmission. It was made by GM, in France, actually. Wouldn't stay in 4WD / 4 Hi, would just drop into neutral for no particular reason.

I took it into the plant even, and let the Isuzu engineers have a try at fixing it. They couldn't get it to work right, either.

And my Outback had to go back in and have our paint department repaint it. That's when Subaru paint engineers found out about having women in the paint booth putting out pheromones that messed with paint sticking to the car under the original ED (electro-deposition) process. They modified the process a bit, put in better filters and such. And we no longer have painted sills, that's one reason there's black plastic down there now.

#14 ·
I just came to find out that there is a whole new regime at Bob Rohrman Subaru in Lafayette. Apparently they cleaned house with a lot of their staff to include the firing of their General Manager and senior Sales Manager. Lots of turmoil apparently! Not any easier to work with from what I've been told.

#15 ·
every new person has to read the owners book though, and be verbally quizzed on it to get a pay check. .... spare copies are chained up next to the toilet paper dispensers to study up on.

Reactions: Kevin
#18 ·
There are some dealerships where the rot runs too deep. It becomes institutionalized and as long as the owner continues to make a profit they can care less about who the GM has working for them.

When my daughter was a service adviser at a dealership I heard the horror stories about the intercede squabbling and outright sabotage that went on between the sales manager and the service manager, while the general manager played both sides of the fence (not a Subie dealership). The customers got caught in the middle, they could not keep good salespeople or service techs and nobody really cared to do the right thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.