Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good weather is approaching and this is going to be our first time during the "Outdoor Season" with a baby. With the REI dividends and 20% off coupon coming in, it's a good opportunity to get a roof box.

I want to stay with Yakima or Thule and would prefer a narrower box over a wider one. However, we have a BOB stroller which I'd like to be able to put up there - hopefully without taking the wheels off. Folded up it's 25.5" x 39" x 16" with the wheels on. Obviously, I can read specs online until my eyes bleed but before I go out and actually do some shopping, does anybody use a BOB Revolution Stroller and get it to fit in a roof box? If so, which model? It seems as though most are about 16" tall, so I may have to take the wheels off.

Any other comments appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
LOL been there done that. If your not a runner and don't have the Bob yet and plan on two kids check out the SUV of Strollers!
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Phil-Teds-Navigator-Stroller-Doubles/dp/B00906I368/ref=sr_1_3?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1365177180&sr=1-3&keywords=Phil+%26+teds+stroller[/ame]
Very sturdy we hang all sorts of crap off of it on weekend trips. We call it the pack mule.
Two other things we picked up which have been life savers
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Phil-Teds-Traveller-Crib-Red/dp/B004H7RT5Q/ref=sr_1_2?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1365177305&sr=1-2&keywords=Phil+%26+teds+travel+bed[/ame]

Must have if you go lots of places with the kid. We don't have one just discovered it and borrowed it last weekend. Hands down must have! [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Ciao-Portable-Travel-Chair-Black/dp/B0072IINY8/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1365177498&sr=1-1&keywords=caio+baby+portable+high+chair[/ame]

Phil & Teds with the rumble seat. We bought it used $115 looked like it had never been used when our first was born nearly 4yrs ago. Our youngest is 1 and that stroller gets packed with both kids nearly every weekend along with all the assorted kid crap. Oddly enough first year or two we didn't see many of them. We went to the California Academy of Sciences about two months ago, we use to live 5 minutes from it in SF. Not kidding nearly every stroller there was the Phil & Teds machine we were shocked and had to keep a close eye on ours to make sure it didn't wander off without us.

The Bob is pretty slick great for solo kid stuff and runners but its pretty difficult to use just for every day weekend haul the kids around the mall sort of stuff.

Also we fold ours and stand it on end and use a bungie cord from the rear floor hook to the latch catch in the roof liner to hold it on the driver side standing on end which leaves nearly the full floor space for the dog or luggage etc. I have a bunch of canvas bags we pack with various items and kid gear and put in the roof box when we do road trips. Packnplay gets strapped into the roof box first then the diaper supply bag - kids toy bag - dog food bag parents running shoes etc. Car we pack the stroller standing on end duffel bags - phil & Teds travel bed up against the back seat - old school Coleman ice chest with drain facing the hatch on the passenger side. Then the 75Lb 15yr old red doberman gets a washed bed tossed over the duffel bags and he climbs in for the ride.

Our roof box is 30inches wide was purchased long before kids were a factor. At that time I wanted a box that wasn't too wide so I could fit two bikes on each side with standard 54 inch bars. Still very happy I got that size box works great. And we can fit two bikes up top. I just use the old yakima rail grabs to hold the bars to the stowed OB rails. Works fine even when hauling the 66inch long bars and 12ft long 135Lb 12ft sailboat on the roof. The large strollers are wide and heavy leaving fewer things you can really put in the roof box which weight does become a factor after you pack - a packnplay, formula, and all various items for say the Xmas week at grandmas.

We do this type of trip 2-3 times a year long 10+hr drive to see family. Works great. We have a soft sided ice chest smaller one that sits on the hump between the two front seats which has all the road snacks to keep the kids happy.

Must have for the potty training kid
Amazon.com: Kalencom 2-in-1 Potette Plus, Blue: Baby

Doubles as a seat for the big potty and works as a porta potty when on the road. Our 4yr old had gone places no person has gone before. LOL We bought a nice looking soft bag with rope type shoulder straps at Target and keep it in the bag. No one knows whats in there it goes into fancy places and no one is the wiser. If I leave the dog at home I can usually find space in the back hatch area for the potty to be set up on road trips when its needed even with the stroller lashed and standing on end and the Ice chest. One parent duffel bag some times ends up on the floor behind the front seats but plenty of room to make it work.

Bob's are great not cheap - join a mothers group and keep your eyes peeled for a used one. We saw two sell for $50 this week they were gone in a matter of minutes after getting posted.

·
Registered
2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.
838 Posts
Got a Bob and LOVE it. It is on it's 2nd kid and still look almost new. I would argue that it is easier to use in a mall or shopping center than your average stroller because it rolls so smooth and maneuvers so easily. The one problem is it is big and can be a pain to maneuver in a store with tight isles or compact displays.

It is also kinda nice in crowds to use it to wedge your way though people.

As far as taking it around, It fits in the back of my OB without any trouble. I fold it, and then place it wheels up and and forward. It's second nature to me by now. That still leaves half of the cargo are open for other baby crap.

I really can't say about using it in a car top carrier. I would actually be a bit reluctant because 1. having to lift that stroller up that high, and then carry it sideways into the carrier. 2. If you drop that thing, can can easily scratch the **** out of your paint and possibly windows. 3. An awkward lift like that could mess up your back if you are not careful.

If you do load your Bob into a car top carrier, I would take a floor mat and set it on the side of the car when you go to load/unload it in case you loose control of it. That way you can protect your car from damage.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Got a Bob and LOVE it. It is on it's 2nd kid and still look almost new. I would argue that it is easier to use in a mall or shopping center than your average stroller because it rolls so smooth and maneuvers so easily. The one problem is it is big and can be a pain to maneuver in a store with tight isles or compact displays.

It is also kinda nice in crowds to use it to wedge your way though people.

As far as taking it around, It fits in the back of my OB without any trouble. I fold it, and then place it wheels up and and forward. It's second nature to me by now. That still leaves half of the cargo are open for other baby crap.

I really can't say about using it in a car top carrier. I would actually be a bit reluctant because 1. having to lift that stroller up that high, and then carry it sideways into the carrier. 2. If you drop that thing, can can easily scratch the **** out of your paint and possibly windows. 3. An awkward lift like that could mess up your back if you are not careful.

If you do load your Bob into a car top carrier, I would take a floor mat and set it on the side of the car when you go to load/unload it in case you loose control of it. That way you can protect your car from damage.
Bob's are pretty wide that was our big issue with it. That and the storage space options are not as good on the bob and no 2nd kid hauling ability. Great for running and doing rough trail stuff but pretty heavy and clunky for the mall run. Phil&teds is narrower - little different geometry which stays balanced pretty well even with parents water bottles hanging off the handle + the over loaded diaper bag full of toys, snacks, clothes etc. Then you have room even with kids feet to fit a small cooler with food or drinks under the main seat.
Have used the BOB a bunch for rough trail hikes but never enough to buy one. Just borrow them or swap with friends.

·
Registered
2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.
838 Posts
Oddly enough, I use our Bob more for malls and shopping than anything else. It's that maneuverability that makes the Bob so easy in a mall. You can basically drive that stroller with 2 fingers. Makes weaving though a store or a crowd WAYYY easier than any other stroller I have used. I guess to each his own.

Both my kids have ridden that thing down several miles of the C&O Canal. Just as easy to use on the towpath as a Walmart.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. Although the kid is only 5 months old, we've had the BOB even longer. It was a gift from the wife's coworkers. She is the runner out of the two of us and thus wanted a jogger. I like it for grass and uneven surfaces. It worked out well at the SD Zoo a few weeks ago. We currently use an adapter for the Snugride 30 car seat since the baby isn't big enough for the main seat. It makes the whole thing quite the behemoth! Luckily it's not our main stroller. We have a snap and go stroller for the mall, etc. It's much more maneuverable - even in restaurants and such. As the kid progresses, we'll have to look into another urban type stroller.

As far as the roof box, I hear you regarding scratching the car, etc. This would only be for special trips, like camping, where the rear hatch can be used for more important stuff, like coolers, and such. I imagine the roof box will store the sleeping bags, tent, stroller(?), etc. Since it would seldom be used for actual stroller storage, I guess removing the wheels isn't such a big deal. For local stuff, we'd just stick the BOB in the back of the car. Amazingly, both the BOB and the snap and go fit simultaneously in the hatch, albeit an unlikely event.

...Oh, I love the Academy of Sciences museum! We're going back up to SF in November to see my old friend/drummer get married. I get to dust off the old bass too and play a tune at the wedding per my friend's request. Then two days later, we have to be back in SD for another wedding. Such events used to be fun to get trashed with your friends, but it'll be different this time with a kid. When did I become a grown-up? lol.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
We were at the LA Zoo for Thanksgiving not long ago. They have really redone it looks pretty good had a great time. Worth a stop. Also go very early and catch the pony rides when the kid is older. My 3yr old daughter was in the first pony ride group of the morning and her pony took off running the course she was laughing thought it was the greatest thing ever. I was pretty surprised though I grew up with horses don't have any now so wasn't too worried when I could see they had a pretty solid system going.

Roof box for camping we pack with all the soft gear and fit some of the food items and kitchen stuff that don't need to be in the ice box. Only really large item that gets put in the box is the packnplay and tent. Did that for two years then we picked up a costco Lifetime Tent trailer which has been awesome. 26mpg on I5 65-70mph with the trailer. Can hardly tell its back there. We picked up a cheap 42X42inch target roof bag and toss it on the trailer with all the major camping crap in it. Leaves the car nearly empty unless were packing the whole house with us. Little trick - bungie the folding camp chairs to the cross bars outside the box gives you more space in the box for stuff.

Good friend had their reception at the top of the DeYoung last year great view got lucky no fog that evening. Our SF condo is right by Fulton and 15th AVE currently rented out but we lived there for 11yrs and spent time in the Park almost every day. The Thursday night Adults night at the Cal Sciences is a blast. Wine/Beer - DJ's and no kids along with some cool presentations lots of fun worth doing if you ever have the chance.

·
Registered
2006 Outback Limited
86 Posts
We have a thirteen month old and have somehow ended up with four different strollers (!?!). The BOB is for a canyon trail behind where we live and to use by the beach. It actually drives pretty well in the sand and we've had it down by the water. We got a pretty steep discount on it at Babies R Us by price matching from Amazon, so it came down by something like $130.

I could see it go in a box on the roof, but I wouldn't want to lift it up and down any more than necessary, that thing is pretty heavy and cumbersome.

Let us know how it works out?

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon Limited 4AT, 2012 Outback Wagon Limited
3 Posts
Yakima Rooftop Box/Stroller

We bought a rooftop box - Yakima Skybox 18 cubic foot (fits on top of our 2012 Outback just fine!). Got it from Amazon last summer. They had the best rates and then we took advantage of Yakima's $100 rebate. The box ended up costing us $325 by the time it was all over. Huge savings. OK, back to the stroller discussion. Our Mountain Buggy (BOB's competitor) fits great in the back of the rooftop box. Lifts pretty easy in and out. Makes trips much easier as it doubles cargo capacity.

·
Registered
2013 limited Outback 2.5i, pzev, rear seat protectors, Venetian red pearl, all weather floor mats, rear cargo net, viper remote start, puddle lights, body side molding,
39 Posts
Thule force xl, chariot fits great with wheels off and the ski kit, 2 sets of x-c skis, poles, boots and 2 sets of snowshoes. Will try with the bob, the bob's wheels are much smaller so can probably stay on just fine.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
Thule force xl, chariot fits great with wheels off and the ski kit, 2 sets of x-c skis, poles, boots and 2 sets of snowshoes. Will try with the bob, the bob's wheels are much smaller so can probably stay on just fine.
Did you ever get that rear seat out?????:D

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to answer my own thread that I started a year ago, A BOB will not fit in a Yakima Skybox 16 unless you remove the wheels. I think this would be the case with most any roof box with an aerodynamic shape. This might be better anyway because it makes the stroller less unwieldy when taking it down. The wheels only take a few seconds to put back on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts