Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5 CVT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to everyone.
I've asked about that problem once on that forum but failed to find any attention to that. As far as I know there are MANY owners in Russia and Ukraine have the same issue. A lot of people really in despair about that. I have an OBK that was produced for EU market and have the same cracks. So I want to know if any of you out there have anything like that?
http://s3.images.drive2.ru/car.journal.photos/x5/0400/000/000/0fa/dae/88ce32ea4cdb3aab-large.jpg
http://s3.images.drive2.ru/car.journal.photos/x5/0400/000/000/0fa/daf/88ce32ea5a996c80-large.jpg
http://s3.images.drive2.ru/car.journal.photos/x5/0400/000/000/0fa/db0/88ce32ea7546b872-large.jpg
http://s3.images.drive2.ru/car.journal.photos/x5/0400/000/000/0fa/db1/88ce32ea87e43b56-large.jpg
mine cracks are relatively small and not growing since the time I've noticed them. But I've seen cars with much bigger ones.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,016 Posts
I am not trying to diminish your concerns but have there been any reports of metal fatigue cracks or spot welds breaking? All of the pictures show "filler putty" cracking. Kind of like grout in a tile floor. It doesn't take much flexing to crack especially with paint over the top of it. I surely would not be happy to see this on my OB but until it was structual I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,569 Posts
I was looking at your pics...looks like the top of the rear hatch just above the pneumatic arm...the build style is totally different than the north american version. Is that piece there a fold of caulking like filler that sits over the actual seam? That is what it looks like

You can see from the pic the difference between the two cars...I would have to say that if what is underneath yours is the same as ours...you have nothing to worry about...the actual metal fold seams/welds are totally solid.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
Yep, I checked mine after seeing this. Totally different build in that area. No cracks.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5 CVT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep. the built is different to mine. but I've seen cracks on the same built models like shown above. and it was reported that these are the problems due to lack of spot welding. still I've asked that because such cracks are massive and often problem for many cars of the same model. just curios if any of you in states (or anywhere) have the same.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
Interesting JB Weld goop, I don’t see how it affects the seam weld.
Question is why is it there, if you can take another shot/angle including the roof rail (can almost just see it in your pics).

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
The goop is just weather sealer spot welding is not water tight so once welded they seal the joints with a goop. Hard to say if its the goop that has cracked or the paint over the goop is what cracked. But I doubt its actual structural cracking given any body work visible from the exterior is basically just body panels not the actual underlying structural components.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,016 Posts
That "goop" is used on the NA OB's also. Check out the top of the front strut towers and there is quite a bit used almost all around the underside of the outside edge of the rear hatch door. There is also a very thin layer of something (looks like brush marks) spread over the same panel joint area the OP is talking about and it gets a bit thicker right under where the roof rail trim ends at the back lid.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5 CVT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

hear's the other shot from the different car with different built style.
it seems a problem of the whole body construction due to excessive flexibility.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
...definately cracked...but it is not the metal. It is the goop that they put over the seams (as already mentioned) therefore I don't think that it will affect structural aspects of the car at all. The fact that our North American builds don't have that stuff there shows that it is really not needed.

I wouldn't get my knickers in a knot over it...:D even though it does look bad and can be disconcerting....

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5 CVT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't panic over mine cracks and I know that these are the paint cracks. Still I can't see through that cracks and pretty sure that they can't happen due to bad paint or something. They just prove that metal beneath the pain is not solid as it supposed to be. and the rust that's coming through these cracks means no good in any way.

·
Registered
OTBK 2010
1 Posts
I don't panic over mine cracks and I know that these are the paint cracks. Still I can't see through that cracks and pretty sure that they can't happen due to bad paint or something. They just prove that metal beneath the pain is not solid as it supposed to be. and the rust that's coming through these cracks means no good in any way.

The roof & side panels are connected with spot welding.Thera are not enough welding points or welding are defective or metall quality is bad or...

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5 CVT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The roof & side panels are connected with spot welding.Thera are not enough welding points or welding are defective or metall quality is bad or...
there were reports about the lack of welding points. so.. it seems that the only solution is to add welding points? I was thinking about front and rear strut tower bars but still not sure it would make any good.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.0 Diesel
65 Posts
Checked my 11 OB EU Diesel here, and no signs of cracks yet. (Gone approximately 11k km...)

Still I can hear the chassis creaking and sqeaking when I'm driving on uneven ground.

Had the same on my 09 Forester EU Diesel, but didn't look for cracks...

-KJ

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
After comparing the picture that Thunder posted to the one of my OB...it even looks like there is a difference in the way the metal is put together in that spot...interesting...you would think that it would be the same...makes sense from a manufacturing point of view to do that.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
something isn't right. ..why is there rust starting to come through those cracks?
...I'm thinking that that is the color of the goop that is spread over these areas starting to bleed out of the crack.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5 CVT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not 100% sure but it seems that bodies for the new OBK are produced in Japan for every market. If so, that must be any owners in US with the same problems. I have noticed mine when 20 000 km passed (1247 miles). since then they remain the same size.
and one more thing. I have thoroughly inspected these cracks and found out that it is not exactly the cracks in the body but the cracks of the pain and body caulking compound. I still understand that all this is the effect of not that solid body.

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
1,313 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but it seems that bodies for the new OBK are produced in Japan for every market. If so, that must be any owners in US with the same problems. I have noticed mine when 20 000 km passed (1247 miles). since then they remain the same size.
and one more thing. I have thoroughly inspected these cracks and found out that it is not exactly the cracks in the body but the cracks of the pain and body caulking compound. I still understand that all this is the effect of not that solid body.
Subaru of Indiana Automotive INC

and

http://www.subaru-sia.com/manufacturing/car_body/index.html

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5 CVT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lloyd123
that means your welding robots are better than japanese. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts