Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides installing a larger sway bar to a 02 OBW H6, what else can be done to help minimize body roll without cleaning out the bank account?

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
body roll

New shocks help

Stiffer side wall tires
The shocks are a good possibility.
But I don't think 225/60/16's are gonna have stiff sidewalls. The things are 4-5 in tall!
And putting 17's with 50 series on it isn't in my budget.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts

Install a Lotus Elan?

...screw the bank account!

Looby

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,126 Posts
stiffer springs (also help reduce squat and dive), adjustable rebound struts. (probably have to build them yourself with Koni yellows or???)

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
stiffer springs (also help reduce squat and dive), adjustable rebound struts. (probably have to build them yourself with Koni yellows or???)
So far your spring suggestion appeals to me most. I've already planned on putting in a larger roll bar in the rear. I would be ecstatic to find a wrecked gen 2 w/ low miles and using them. Unfortunately, here in the armpit of the country, I rarely even see an OB on the road. Rather doubtful to find a parts car I would think.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
Baja springs ;) stiffer and also give you some lift, not too expensive either.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Install a Lotus Elan?

...screw the bank account!

Looby

I can always rely on you for a smile Looby! Wish I didn't live so far away from all the cool members. 2 more years of high school here for my son, and then Dad is free to do whatever he wants to!!!

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Baja springs ;) stiffer and also give you some lift, not too expensive either.

Hence the problem, which may be insurmountable. I would like to minimize the body roll without sacrificing ride quality. I don't want my dash rattling on a gravel road. Many moons ago, I built a Civic to SCCA specs, and still wanted to use it as a daily driver. Hahahaha...right! Tokiko Illumina 5 way adjustible coilovers and polyurethane bushings, lower rear tie bar, and GReddy anti roll bar topside under the hood. Dropped the car 4 in. Even on the most "gentle" setting the Tokikos would hold the rear wheel off the ground (right rear on right hand turns, same on left etc. etc.) during very spirited driving. Had to warn passengers not to put their tongue between their teeth if they wanted to keep it!! Much older now, and enjoy SOME measure of comfort when I want it. So.......?

·
Premium Member
2014 Legacy 2.5i 6M
150 Posts
I am dealing with the same quandary myself. So, budget and wife permitting, I will be replacing the stock struts with LGT struts, so a lower and tighter ride. A tribeca sway bar for the front, and in the long run 17's with 245/50R17s all around. Years of driving racy Mitsus and Nissans have swayed me away from the STI type of ride in a car.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am dealing with the same quandary myself. So, budget and wife permitting, I will be replacing the stock struts with LGT struts, so a lower and tighter ride. A tribeca sway bar for the front, and in the long run 17's with 245/50R17s all around. Years of driving racy Mitsus and Nissans have swayed me away from the STI type of ride in a car.

Are you confident the 245/50/17's will have enough clearance on tight turns?

·
Premium Member
18,126 Posts
I have SPT 'pinks' wagon spec springs on my 06 WRX.

They definitely have more NVH so, any springs likely to make a serious improvement in handling WILL affect ride quality in a DD.

But, traveling in straight lines on smooth roads does not 'engage' roll bars so, that would be the first place to start.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have SPT 'pinks' wagon spec springs on my 06 WRX.

They definitely have more NVH so, any springs likely to make a serious improvement in handling WILL affect ride quality in a DD.

But, traveling in straight lines on smooth roads does not 'engage' roll bars so, that would be the first place to start.
I agree. Any preference on brand and thickness for a gen 2 Tex?

·
Premium Member
18,126 Posts
I agree. Any preference on brand and thickness for a gen 2 Tex?
no sorry, I might lean towards whiteline, but plenty of choices out there. Don't forget to upgrade to beefier endlinks, the stock resin ones are unlikey to survive xtra abuse. look at kartboy for those but again, lots of choices out there.

boxer4racing used to sorta specialize in legacy/outback stuff. I'd trust any brand they carry I think. But, you might avoid any generic stuff from ebay.

Others here will likely have good suggestions.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd be replacing the endlinks with polyurethane anyway. Some things are ok on ebay, but definitely not for ANYTHING mechanical. Not for me anyway.

·
Premium Member
18,126 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts