Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that our 05 XT seems to be leaning quite a bit in the corners these days. I'm not sure if it's always been this bad, but it seems that it has gotten worse.

What wear parts could be causing this? I've replaced struts in all 4 corners, but not springs.

Thanks!

Tom

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I've noticed that our 05 XT seems to be leaning quite a bit in the corners these days. I'm not sure if it's always been this bad, but it seems that it has gotten worse.

What wear parts could be causing this? I've replaced struts in all 4 corners, but not springs.

Thanks!

Tom
I hear Yoga and walking helps with this. Wait your speaking of the car sorry. Make sure your sway bars are still connected enough rust and abuse they can get loose and be useless. 100K nearly all shocks on cars are toast. OB was never a canyon carver so car might be fine but your expectations may have changed ;-)

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I needed the yoga after spending all day replacing the struts with hand tools. That's a long of cranking on spring compressors.

I will look at sway bars. They are connected at the end links and with the bushings. Anywhere else to look?

I wonder if LCA bushings could contribute.

I agree, my expectations might have changed, but my other car is a prius. Hard to beat that for handling :p

Tom

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,434 Posts
The anti-sway bar controls body roll more than any other part in the suspension. It is attached by hard links at the ends, and soft bushings at the middle. The soft bushings degrade with age and use, and when that happens the car is allowed to roll a little more before the bar can apply its correcting influence.

Have the bushings and end links checked. Might as well check the fronts too- same operational theory up there.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do bad end links 'look' like?

Edit: based on a bit of reading, they are either good or broken and hanging there. Is there an in between that I should be inspecting for?

·
Registered
02 OBW
131 Posts
Not sure if the end links are the same design as the previous gen (kinda a ball and socket design), but one of my rear ones was only connected to the sway bar - the other crumbled apart as I took it off. The front ones seemed a lot beefier.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,439 Posts
The amount the car ends up leaning in a turn is determined by the spring rate and the sway bar for the most part. This is assuming that you are in the turn long enough to reach a static position. The speed at which it gets to that position is controlled by your struts. The question is are you noticing more overall pitch or roll, or that the car is rolling into the position faster?

If it was speed thing then I would point to your struts. What kind of struts did you put in there? When did you replace them?

How many miles are on your car?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mileage = 105k Replaced them about 10k ago with KYB GR2 for the 05 (didn't change the rear to the 04 version as the wife actually likes the 'floaty' feel).

Body roll is noticed in a 'static' situation (In a long turn it seems like the car is leaning to the side). I don't notice any unusual sagging when loaded which would indicate weak springs.

Tom

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,439 Posts
With that low of miles I wouldn't expect issues with the springs anyways.

Have you checked your tires?

Is the role problem the same when turning both directions.

Have you verified that your end links are not broken and connected to the sway bar and LCA?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tires - excellent point. I am running my winter tires - IceX2 225/60R16 Michelin X-Ice Xi2 on aftermarket 16" wheels.

Can the taller tire cause the sidewall to collapse in turns? Seems very likely...

It does respond the same independent of turning direction.

Front endlinks have been disconnected and reconnect to the LCA (with proper torque) in the last six months or so. I haven't checked rears.

Tom

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,439 Posts
The more rubber the more collapse. Winter tires are also generally have softer sidewalls and much softer tread compared to a typical all season tire.

Do they make the X-Ice in a 225/60R16? Either way it is most likely an S rated tire. You may be more used to a T, H or V. What do you put on for the rest of the year.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, it's Xi2 225/60R16. Normally have triple tred stock 17" tire, which is a T. That must be the difference. They will go back on in the spring, and then I'll know for sure.

I'll take a look at the bushings for the sway bar though...

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,434 Posts
What do bad end links 'look' like?

Edit: based on a bit of reading, they are either good or broken and hanging there. Is there an in between that I should be inspecting for?
Yep, get in there with a small prybar and see if there is any movement at the union. You will usually hear something when driving before you can see something while prying, but not always.

Also inspect the rubber seals. Found one of mine torn and full of gunk last year. Car felt tighter after I replaced the links, though I'd never heard anything.

You're getting good advice about tires in these other comments.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts